9 Incredible Microwave Tricks You’ve Never Heard of
Your microwave can do much more than just heat up and defrost your food. Learn about 9 incredible microwave tricks that can make your life easier.
Thanks to its versatility, your microwave can do much more than just heat up and defrost your food. If you think your microwave is just there to reheat yesterday’s leftovers and make popcorn, you’re wrong. You can get out of all kinds of tight spots with a few microwave tricks!
The main advantage of the microwave is cooking certain foods that would take much longer in the oven.
Take a look at these amazing microwave tricks to unleash your microwave’s hidden superpowers.
You might like: Microwave Cake: Fast and Simple Desserts
9 Incredible Microwave Tricks
1. Cooking Corn
Instead of waiting for water to boil on your stove to cook corn on the cob, why not use your microwave?
- For this method, it’s best to leave the husk on. This way, it will keep the moisture and heat in and cook the corn more uniformly.
- Cook in your microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes. This way, the husk will be much easier to remove.
- Just remember to let it sit for a few minutes so you don’t burn your fingers.
2. No more tearing up over onions
If chopping onions makes you cry, then you’re going to love this trick.
To do this trick, simply microwave onions for 30 seconds. As a result, you’ll be able to chop onions without shedding a tear.
Why does it work? It’s simple: when you heat onions, you disable the part of the enzyme that makes onions give off the sulfuric gas that irritates your eyes.
3. Give potato chips a second life
If you leave a bag of potato chips open, they probably will get soft and a little stale. Try putting them on a plate and microwaving for 30 to 45 seconds.
Then take them out and let sit for a minute. When you try them, you’ll notice that they’ll be crunchy and delicious again.
This trick works with popcorn, too.
4. Dried herbs
It’s better not to use some herbs immediately after picking them from your garden or when they’re still somewhat fresh.
If you want to use them right away but don’t have time to wait for them to dry, don’t worry. Use one of the best microwave tricks to save the day!
Heat the herbs on high power for 2 to 3 minutes. As a result, your herbs will be dry and ready to use in cooking.
Remember to dry well and remove any excess water before heating. Otherwise, instead of drying the herbs, it will cook them!
5. More juicy citrus fruits
This is one of the greatest microwave tricks because it allows you to take full advantage of citrus fruits. Squeezing fruits like grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges, etc. can be difficult.
If you microwave them for 20 seconds and then squeeze them, you’ll get much more juice since it softens the insides and juice comes out without much effort.
6. Stale bread
Not many people like eating bread when it gets hard and stale. However, to avoid throwing away an entire loaf of stale bread, just put it in the microwave.
Wrap the bread in a damp paper towel and heat on high heat for 10 to 12 seconds. Then, check to see if the bread has softened.
If it hasn’t, repeat until it’s soft.
7. Scrambled eggs
Put your frying pan and oil away! Take advantage of microwave tricks to make an easy, quick breakfast. Here’s all you need to do:
- Beat the eggs with a bit of milk.
- Then, add salt and pepper to taste and microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Remove and beat vigorously with a fork, then microwave for another 30 to 45 seconds.
- Repeat until eggs are cooked to your taste.
You might like: You’ll Never Throw Away Egg Cartons Again After Reading This
8. French fries from scratch
You probably think you need a deep fryer and lots of oil for this, but give your microwave a chance. It just may surprise you. Here’s all you need to do:
- Start by slicing your potatoes as thinly as you can and then put them on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cooking time varies by microwave, but generally, 3 to 5 minutes on high heat will do.
- When they are ready and golden, just remove from the microwave, add some salt, and enjoy.
9. Poached eggs
Traditional poached eggs are a tedious task, but your microwave can help with that. All you have to do is fill a microwave-safe container with half a cup of water and a dash of salt.
Crack the egg into the container and make sure it’s completely submerged.
Cover the top with a small plate and microwave on high heat for just a minute. You’ll be amazed by the results!
Give these great microwave tricks a try, and feel free to share them with your friends!