9 Incredible Tricks Your Microwave Has up Its Sleeve
Your microwave can do much more than just heat up and defrost your food. Learn about 9 incredible microwave tricks that can make your life easier.
Thanks to its versatility, your microwave can do much more than just heat up and defrost your food.
If you think you microwave is just there to reheat yesterday’s leftovers and make popcorn, you’re wrong. It can get you out of all kinds of tight spots.
Its main advantage is in how fast it can make certain foods that would take much longer in the oven.
So take a look at these amazing tricks to unleash your microwave’s hidden superpowers.
Instead of waiting for water to boil on your stove to cook corn on the cob, why not use your microwave?
Here’s what you have to do:
- For this method, it’s best to leave the husk on. They will keep the moisture and heat in and cook the corn more uniformly.
- Put your microwave on high power for 3 to 5 minutes. This way, the husk will be much easier to remove.
- Just remember let it sit for a few minutes if you don’t want to burn your fingers.
2. No more tearing up over onions
If chopping onions makes you cry, then you’re going to love this trick.
Microwave onions for 30 seconds and you’ll be able to chop onions without shedding a tear.
Why does it work? It’s simple: when you heat onions before chopping them, you disable the part of the enzymes that makes onions give off the sulfuric gas that makes you tear up.
3. Give potato chips a second life
If you leave a bag of potato chips open, they probably will get soft and a little stale. Try putting them on a plate and microwaving for 30 to 45 seconds.
Then take them out and let sit for a minute. When you try them, you’ll notice that they’ll be crunchy and delicious again.
This trick works with popcorn, too.
4. Dried herbs
It’s better not to use some herbs immediately after picking them from your garden or when they’re still somewhat fresh.
If you want to use them right away and don’t have time to wait for them to dry, your trusted heating appliance can save the day.
Heat the herbs on high power for 2 to 3 minutes to dry them.
Remember to dry well and remove any excess water before heating. Otherwise, instead of drying the herbs, it will cook them!
5. More juicy citrus fruits
This is an awesome trip to take full advantage of citrus fruits. Squeezing fruits like grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges, etc. can be difficult.
If you microwave them for 20 seconds and then squeeze them, you’ll get much more juice since it softens the insides and juice comes out without much effort.
6. Stale bread
Not many people like eating bread when it gets hard and stale. But to avoid having to throw away a whole loaf of bread that’s gone stale, just put it in the microwave.
Wrap the bread in a damp paper towel and heat on high heat for 10 to 12 seconds. Then, check to see if the bread has softened.
If it hasn’t, repeat until it’s soft.
7. Scrambled eggs
Put your frying pan away and take advantage of the power of your microwave to make an easy, quick breakfast. Here’s all you need to do:
- Beat the eggs with a bit of milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Remove and beat vigorously with a fork, then microwave for another 30 to 45 seconds.
- Repeat until eggs are cooked to your taste.
Check out this article: You’ll Never Throw Away Egg Cartons Again After Reading This
8. French fries from scratch
You probably think you need a deep fryer for this, but give your microwave a chance. It just may surprise you. Here’s all you need to do:
- Start by slicing your potatoes as thinly as you can and then put them on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cooking time varies by microwave, but generally 3 to 5 minutes on high heat will do.
- When they are ready and golden, just remove from the microwave, add some salt, and enjoy.
9. Poached eggs
Traditional poached eggs are a tedious task, but your microwave can help with that. All you have to do is fill a microwave-safe container with half a cup of water and a dash of salt.
Crack the egg into the container and make sure it’s completely submerged.
Cover the top with a small plate and microwave on high heat for just a minute. You’ll be amazed by the result!
Give these great microwave hacks a try, and feel free to share them with your friends!