9 Home Remedies to Control Ulcerative Colitis
It's important to eat more foods that help you control ulcerative colitis and its symptoms. However, it's also important to avoid things that make them worse, like tobacco and alcohol.
Natural treatments are almost always beneficial for your health. These homemade remedies to control ulcerative colitis show this. Although it’s a relatively complicated disease, you don’t have to have a lower quality of life because of it.
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is the inflammation of the colon that goes on to develop ulcers. It’s a chronic disease that requires lifelong treatment.
One of its risk is that is can trigger colorectal cancer.
Medicinal fruits and herbs can help treat your symptoms and prevent complications or relapses. However, medical treatment is absolutely required in order to treat ulcerative colitis. Therefore, it’s extremely important to follow the advice of a specialist.
Check out this article: Cure Intestinal Infections with Three Natural Remedies
9 Home Remedies to Control Ulcerative Colitis
There are various options to control this problem.
Overall, anti-inflammatory plants can help relax bowels that are irritated.Additionally, they help the intestinal mucosa recover, and astringents help control the excess of soft feces. These natural remedies decrease your risk of cancer, as well as reduce pain.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a powerful anti-inflammatory and digestive remedy. To take advantage of its benefits, you’ll just need a little amount every day.
- After taking out the gel from the aloe vera plant, mix it with a little water to get a thicker liquid.
- You can drink half a glass (100 ml) twice a day (in the morning and at night) for four weeks. This will help improve your condition.
Thanks to curcumin, its active compound, turmeric also has anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it reduces the secretion of acids and protects your stomach.
- You can dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of water (200 ml) and drink it after breakfast to prevent relapse.
- Then, you should do this again at night.
- Also, you can add the 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric to your meals in the morning and at night. Turmeric is great to add some color to your dishes, stews, rice, etc.
3. Pineapple Juice for Ulcerative Colitis Relief
One of the main protagonists of these home remedies to control ulcerative colitis is pineapple juice. The bromelain in pineapples is great to treat digestive diseases, since it has anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, by drinking two classes of pineapple juice every day (400 ml), you’ll feel relief from your symptoms.
4. Cabbage Juice
If you make and drink cabbage juice, you’ll feel immediate relief from your abdominal pain. Additionally, to soften its flavor, you can add honey or other natural sweetener.
5. The Benefits of Ginger for Ulcerative Colitis
Another great option is to drink ginger tea twice a day.
- First, grate it and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Then, strain it and add honey and lemon juice.
6. Chamomile Tea
The analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile protect your colon from lesions.
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of chamomile (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- Heat the water. When it starts to boil, add the chamomile. Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Then, remove it from the heat, cover and let it cool. When it’s warm, strain it and add honey to sweeten it.
- Finally, drink it three times a day, the first one before breakfast.
7. Rice Water to Fight Ulcerative Colitis
One cup of rice water as soon as you wake up and another before bed will help control ulcerative colitis and its symptoms.
- 1 cup of rice (200 g)
- 3 cups of water (750 ml)
Preparing this drink is very simple.
- First, heat the water and rice together for 25 minutes.
- Then, let it cool, strain it, and it’s ready to drink.
8. The Iron and Phosphorus in Apples
Rich in iron and phosphorus, apples are an excellent food to help relieve ulcerative colitis pain.
- 1 apple
- Water (how ever much necessary)
- First, cut the apple into small pieces. Then, cook it in a bain-marie until they’re soft.
- You can eat this twice a day.
9. Antioxidant of Cabbage Water
The vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber in cabbage water make it an effective and natural painkiller. Additionally, it’s great to cleanse your body and it has anti-inflammatory benefits. Therefore, it’s ideal for treating ulcerative colitis.
- First, boil 10 cabbage leaves in 2 cups of water (500 ml).
- Afterwards, reduce the heat to low for about 5 minutes and let it cool.
- Then, you can consume it twice a day, in the morning and in the afternoon, for three weeks.
Additional Recommendations for Ulcerative Colitis
- Eating three bananas every day will help decrease colon inflammation. Also, you can take three spoonfuls of olive oil to feel relief.
- Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the symptoms of ulcerative colitis. Additionally, you’ll feel immediate benefits if you include flaxseed oil, nuts, salmon and fish oil in your daily diet.
- The high content of beta-carotene in carrots also helps fix damaged intestinal mucosa.
These home remedies to control ulcerative colitis will help decrease your symptoms. Additionally, they improve the quality of life in patients with severe symptoms.