If you feel weak, tired, and easily catch infections, this is the time to strengthen your immune system. The immune system is in charge of protecting your body from bacteria, fungus, and any other infectious disease.
To strengthen your immune system, you need to keep in mind several factors. These include living a healthy life without much stress. You should have a healthy sleep habit. And, you should also have a balanced, healthy diet.
In the following article, we’re going to explain some foods you should know. These will be your immune system’s biggest help.
Your body needs to stay hydrated to get rid of toxins. Being hydrated also helps clean other waste from your body.
At the same time, being hydrated helps to get rid of infections and protects and clears out your airways.
- Try to drink 10 to 12 cups of water every day. This will keep you hydrated.
Besides flavoring your foods, garlic has antibacterial and antiviral properties. These are useful for strengthening your defenses.
- Garlic also gives your body enzymes, antioxidants, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, and calcium.
- It also strengthens your respiratory system and the number of white blood cells in your blood.
Lemon, mandarins, grapefruit, oranges, and the other fruits that make up the citrus family are some of the most recommended foods for strengthening your immune system.
They have large amounts of vitamin C. This vitamin acts as an antioxidant. As a result, they prevent respiratory diseases and speed up their healing.
Citrus fruits can offer your body more than vitamin C. They are filled with fiber, potassium, magnesium, and calcium. These are important nutrients for strengthening your bones, muscles, and managing your nervous system.
Honey is generally used to sweeten food and drinks. But, its benefits go much farther than its good taste.
It has a large variety of antioxidants. These compounds help to relieve coughs, take care of your lungs, and keep your throat from drying out. They also get rid of phlegm.
On the other hand, honey works as a sedative for your nervous system. It also reduces your cholesterol, helps your digestion, and, of course, strengthens your immune system.
Onion is one of the most used natural remedies for fighting respiratory infections and strengthening your immune system. This is because of its cleansing and disinfecting properties.
- Onions have vitamins, mineral salts, sulfur, magnesium, iron, and sodium.
- They help to fight diabetes, cardiac diseases, infectious diseases, and digestive problems.
6. Red fruits and vegetables
The color of fruits and vegetables tells you some of the nutrients and benefits that they offer you.
- Foods that have a red color are rich in carotene and vitamin A. These are perfect for strengthening your immune system’s defenses.
- They have antioxidants that increase circulation. They also work as cleansing agents by getting rid of toxic substances in your body.
They also boost your mood, protect your skin from the sun and encourage cellular regeneration.
Among this group of foods we find:
- Red apples
Mushrooms are perfect for strengthening your defenses. They also give your body enough energy to carry out daily tasks.
They have antimicrobial and antivirals properties. They also contain potassium. Because of this, they manage the liquids in your body, balance your blood pressure, and speed up your metabolism.
8. Foods that are rich in vitamin E
If you need to strengthen your immune system, the following group of foods will be a great help to you.
- Chard, spinach, broccoli
- Sunflower seeds
- Wheat germ
Vitamin E stands out because it’s a powerful antioxidant. And, it stimulates your immune system.
Eating it on a daily basis helps to protect you from heart diseases, loss of eyesight, and it helps to strengthen your hair.
- At the same time, it has a very important role in taking care of your skin. This helps with healing your skin’s tissues.
- Because of this, it’s recommended for preventing spots, wrinkles, and acne.
9. Foods with iron
This mineral is indispensable if you want to strengthen your immune system. It helps to treat and prevent anemia. Iron also reduces the risk of suffering from fatigue and weakness.
Also, it’s recommended for taking care of your skin. This is because it fights free radicals. Also, it increases your body’s energy.
The main dietary sources of iron are:
- Red meat
- Dry fruits
- Green leafy vegetables
- Whole products