8 Things You Shouldn’t Do at the Gym
Although these might seem like basic social standards, it’s worth remembering a few behaviors that are best to avoid when you’re at the gym. Try to think about how you’d like to find things after someone else has left them.
If you go to the gym on a regular basis, you probably have your own set of habits – just take care to know whether or not they’re the right ones.
To find out, pay attention to this list of things you should never do in such a place.
As you know, basic social norms should always apply.
Although there will be days in which the influx of people is higher, it doesn’t mean that when the gym isn’t crowded, you don’t have to follow the same norms.
1. Wipe your sweat off the machinesThis is a central point. Don’t leave gym machines sweaty.
- All you need to do is remember to take a towel with you to dry them after use. In addition, this will also help clean the seats and other features once you’re done.
The vast majority of these seats and coverings are leather, so sweat won’t just evaporate – you have to remove it yourself.
Check out this article: 5 things your sweat says about your health
2. Staying seated on a machine
Most of the time there are people waiting to use the machine you’re on, so if you’re not going to use it the way it was intended, let the next person take their turn.
Don’t make this mistake, because it wastes your time and that of other people.
3. Be careful with your phone usage
Plenty of people go into the weight room with their phone to take calls and listen to music. Please use a little caution when doing this.
- Don’t raise your voice because it could be disruptive to others. Remember that a lot of people go to the gym to relax.
- On the other hand, if you’re the kind of person who likes to listen to music while you work out, don’t forget your headphones. Not everyone wants to hear the same music as you do.
4. Don’t hog the machines
Remember that the workout machines are for everyone’s usage and you shouldn’t take advantage of it for too long.
This may seem obvious, but it’s one of the most annoying problems you find in a gym. Don’t be the offending person.
If you see that there are people waiting for a machine, try switching to others for your exercise circuit.
Visit this article: Get in shape with just 4 exercises
5. Don’t leave weights around the gymAs with any other object in your home, you shouldn’t leave things in the middle of the room at the gym. This especially happens with things like barbells and weights.
Remember that weights have their own place for storage and when you leave them lying on the floor, in addition to blocking walkways, it can cause someone to trip or be injured.
Put them back where they belong.
6. Don’t be late for a class
Just like being late for a date or a meeting is a sign of bad manners, don’t do that in a scheduled gym class either.
- Think about the fact that you’ll have to walk through the people who are already in the case, looking for equipment, etc.
In short, it’s distracting to everyone else who showed up for the class. It’s best to avoid this.
7. Be careful in the showersYou might have certain habits in your own shower at home, but remember the gym isn’t your home. Avoid strolling naked through the bathroom for half an hour if it’s not common behavior.
- If you need to shave while you’re at the gym, be sure to clean up after yourself.
- As far as cleanliness, just remember that someone will use the facilities after you do and you should leave them just as clean as you found them.
8. Groans and grunts
Some people make a lot of noise when they lift weights or exercise, and it’s something that can be very disruptive to others.
Remember that many people go to the gym to concentrate, to spend some time alone, and it can be very unpleasant to hear groaning and grunting around them.
If you’re tired, don’t start complaining. There’s nothing more annoying than that.
Think about what you can do instead without overexerting yourself, and if you feel really tired, stop and leave the gym. Regardless, try to be quiet for those around you.
Silence is always best.