In our home we have a great quantity of objects. And, even if we don’t always notice it these household items accumulate dust, bacteria and other potentially harmful particles. So, let’s clean house!
Although we do some cleaning tasks every day, sometimes we don’t realize that certain items require special attention before they get infected more easily.
The most worrying thing is that we often use them daily, ignoring the fact that they may contain microorganisms that cause infections or undesirable reactions.
For this reason, in this article we want to share the 8 main things this applies to and some ecological tips to disinfect them without chemicals.
Don’t miss it!
1. Kitchen cloths
Kitchen towels and cloths are items that should be washed every day, not due to aesthetics but rather for health reasons.
These items come into contact with food waste and surfaces that are often sources of viruses and bacteria.
- Pour a little white vinegar into a bucket with hot water and soak the cloths for 20 minutes.
- Rinse them as usual and them dry them outdoors.
2. Kitchen sink
Because it comes into contact with food waste, soap remains and other products, the kitchen sink is an ideal environment for the proliferation of bacteria.
For this reason, if you want to avoid your dishes and foods getting contaminated, make sure you disinfect it after each use.
- Squeeze several lemons and sprinkle the juice over the surface of the sink.
- Leave it to act for 10 minutes then rinse.
3. Kitchen and shower sponges
Although these are objects that we use for cleaning, both accumulate residues that can create an ideal environment for the growth of pathogenic microorganisms.
Kitchen sponges retain remains of fats and foods, while shower sponges accumulate dead cells and soap.
- Immerse the sponges in a bowl with hot water and sodium bicarbonate.
- Leave them to soak for 20 minutes, then rinse and leave to dry.
4. Chopping boards
To leave chopping boards free of bacteria, it is not enough to just wash them with water and soap. Although this cleaning method removes the remains of food and smells, it is important to disinfect them thoroughly with antibacterial products.
- Sprinkle the surface of the chopping board with salt and then rub with half a lemon.
- Leave it to act for 10 minutes then rinse with hot water.
5. Shower tiles
It is common to see some dark stains on shower tiles. These are caused by the growth of bacteria and mould that find a perfect environment on their surface.
Cleaning them daily prevents this problem and also removes the limescale that water leaves behind.
- Prepare a solution of equal parts water and white vinegar, and spray it onto the tiles.
- Leave it to act for 5 minutes then remove with a microfiber cloth.
6. Make-up brushes
The majority of women tend to wash their makeup brushes sporadically. The problem is that, even if you can’t see it, they accumulate dead cells, bacteria and impurities that affect skin health.
It is very important to disinfect them every day, especially if you have sensitive skin or acne.
- Pour a little alcohol into a spray bottle and spray it onto the brushes.
- Leave them to dry.
- Optionally, immerse them in water with liquid soap.
We recommend you read: 7 Ways to Look Good with No Makeup
7. Light switches
It is likely that you never think about how many bacteria accumulate on switches. However, due to the constant contact we have with them, they are an important focal point for microorganisms.
- Wet a cloth with white vinegar and clean each switch.
8. Cell phones and tablets
The screens of cell phones and tablets hold many bacteria that can’t be seen with the naked eye. Given that we touch them frequently, little by little they accumulate dirt and microbes that can put our health at risk.
- Mix equal parts of distilled water and white vinegar and rub it onto the screens of these devices with the help of a soft microfiber cloth.
- You can also use a disinfectant solution made of 60% water and 40% isopropyl alcohol.
How often do you clean these objects? Now you know some tricks for keeping them disinfected, spend a few minutes cleaning them daily.