8 Surprising Benefits of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds help keep the heart healthy and aid in weight loss, among other benefits. Don't think twice about including them in your every day diet.
According to the American Society for Nutrition, they’re beneficial for the body for the following reasons in particular:
- They contain more potassium than bananas or plantains.
- Chia seeds contain more proteins than vegetables.
- These seeds have twice as much fiber as oats.
- They have three times as much iron than lentils and spinach.
- They also boast triple the amount of antioxidants as cranberries.
- Chia seeds provide five times as much calcium as milk.
In this article, we’ll clue you in on some of their benefits. They’ll definitely motivate you to include them in your daily diet.
1. Weight loss
Chia seeds work great for speeding up metabolism and burning fat.
When combined with water and lemon, they help cleanse the body and combat constipation in addition to being a refreshing drink.
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds ( 5 gr).
- 1 cup of hot water (200 gr).
- 1 lemon (100 gr).
- First, divide the water into two cups and leave the chia seeds to soak in one of them.
- Leave the seeds to soak for at least 40 minutes (the mixture should become visibly denser).
- After 40 minutes, juice the lemon and pour the juice into the other cup of water.
- Combine both the liquids and stir until well mixed.
For best results, take the drink on an empty stomach.
Also see: Four Detox Drinks for Weight Loss
2. Healthy heart
These seeds are a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for keeping the circulatory system running smoothly and as a result, the heart as well.
- They help reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Plus, they reduce the risk of having chronic inflammatory diseases.
- These seeds also prevent complications in the nervous system.
3. Big servings of energy
By eating chia seeds, you can provide your body with a good dose of complex carbs, which are nutrients that give the body energy for long periods of time.
So, if you’ve ever felt low on energy and tend to get tired easily, adding chia seeds to your diet might be a good idea.
Similarly, if you play sports or normally have very active days, chia seeds will help you strengthen your endurance.
We recommend that you read: Energy Draining Habits that You Should Quit Now
4. Prevention of premature aging in skin
Thanks to the high antioxidant content found in chia seeds, they speed up skin reparation while preventing further damages at the same time.
Chia seeds fight free radicals, which is why you should eat them to slow down aging in cells and to purify your body.
5. Joint pain
Because they’re a great antioxidant and contain omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds have soothing qualities for pains that result from joint inflammation.
At the same time, they stimulate collagen production thanks to their high zinc and copper content.
That’s why chia seeds help joints function properly as well as preventing problems that result from arthrosis, arthritis and dislocations.
6. Muscle mass
Chia seeds are a recommended food for increasing muscle mass because they contain a high percentage of fiber, omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9.
At the same time, they have a regenerating and healing effect which is helpful for high-intensity workouts.
7. Hydration for your body
Chia seeds can absorb between 10 to 12 times its weight in water. This makes them perfect for keeping electrolytes balanced and keeping your body hydrated for longer.
8. They promote a better mood
These seeds are full of tryptophane. Tryptophane is an essential amino acid for serotonin production, which is commonly known as the happy hormone.
As a result, by eating chia seeds, you’ll be on your way to regulate sleep, improve your mood, combat depression and leave anxiety behind.
How can you consume them?
In addition to eating chia seeds on an empty stomach, as explained previously, you can eat them at any time of the day and add the to your favorite dishes, too.
Combine these bountiful ingredient with:
- Spoon desserts
- Baked goods
We want to highlight that you shouldn’t consume excessive amounts of chia seeds.
An adequate serving is a maximum of two tablespoons daily. Two tablespoons will help you prevent possible gastrointestinal, arterial problems as well as blood sugar imbalances.