8 Natural Ways to Lighten Sun Spots on Your Hands
If you use the remedies with citrus, it will be very important to stay out of the sun or else your condition could actually worsen.
While you might hear that your hands give away your age, that’s no reason to throw them up and surrender. As we get older, our hands start to show spots that we’d rather not see. Take a look at these natural ways to lighten sun spots.
1. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is excellent at closing your pores due to its acidic pH.
Applying it externally three times a week will help lighten your sun spots — as well as soften and brighten your hands.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (10 ml)
- 1 cotton ball
- Dip the cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar and smooth over your sun spots.
- Let sit 20 minutes, staying out of the sun.
- Wash well with warm water and apply hand moisturizer.
Milk is a natural at evening out the tone of your skin. Still, remember that home remedies take somewhat longer to work, so don’t expect to see results after just a few applications.
Over time, the lactic acid of the milk will help make these little sun spots disappear.
- 1/4 cup of warm milk (62 ml)
- 1 cotton ball
- Apply the warm milk every night to lighten your sun spots. Let it dry before going to bed.
- Wash your hands the next morning.
Take a look at this too: How to Make Natural Sunscreen
3. Lemon to lighten sun spots
Lemons are the best if you want to lighten sun spots due to their vitamin C.
Plus, the vitamin C is what helps produce melanin, which is responsible for the color, and lemons also contain citric acid, which helps cells regenerate.
- All you have to do is rub a lemon slice over the backs of your hands.
- CAUTION: We advise staying indoors for a few hours after using this treatment because the vitamin C combined with sunlight can actually cause sun spots.
4. Red onion
While you may turn your nose up even at the mention of applying onions to your skin, after trying it, we’re sure you’ll thank us.
Since onions are rich in vitamin C and sulfur, this is a combination that doesn’t just help lighten sun spots but also even helps with acne marks on your face.
- 1/4 small red onion
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Process the onion in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply the onion paste and let sit 20 minutes.
- Remove with cool water.
Note: Don’t use if you have any cuts or other open wounds, as it may cause irritation.
5. Natural yogurt
Yogurt has an effect similar to that of milk, but does even more. It:
- Softens your skin
- Helps your skin regenerate
- Allows for quicker healing
- Helps your skin retain its natural moisture
- 1 tablespoon of natural yogurt (20 g)
- Take the yogurt and apply it like you would any other lotion.
- Let dry for 20 minutes, or leave it on overnight if possible.
- Remove the next morning.
6. Orange peel and milk
Do you have some leftover orange peels? Then this is a great option to lighten sun spots and get some use out of those peels.
- 3 tablespoons of grated orange peel (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons of milk (20 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (20 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of glycerin (10 ml)
- First, mix the four ingredients together with the help of a blender.
- Next, apply the paste to the areas with sun spots and let sit 15 minutes.
- Then, wash off with cold water.
- There’s no need to use lotion afterwards because the glycerin will soften your hands.
7. Rose water and baking soda
Do you want to lighten sun spots on your hands but can’t stay inside long enough to use the citrus remedies? Well then, this recipe with rose water is for you. In addition to being very gentle, it’s super hydrating and a good exfoliant.
- 2 teaspoons of rose water (10 ml)
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- Combine the three ingredients well.
- Next, apply to the area with sun spots and wait 20 minutes.
- Then, wash off with cold water.
- Apply daily until the problem is taken care of.
8. Radishes and honey
Although this one may not be as common as the rest, it’s very effective.
The three ingredients have lightening powers that work together to enhance the effect.
- 1 medium-sized radish
- 2 tablespoons of honey (50 g)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (5 g)
- First, process all three ingredients in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- Apply to your sun spots and massage the mixture in for 5 minutes.
- Let sit another 10 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Repeat twice a week.
When you use any of these home remedies, always keep an eye out for an allergic reaction. If you see something suspicious, stop right away.
Take care of your hands no matter your age
Sun spots show up for many different reasons. They are more common in women because of hormonal changes.
If you already have sun spots and think it’s too late to do anything about them, just try to be consistent. And if you’re young, start now and take care of your skin.