8 Plants to Try If You Want to Lower Your Blood Sugar
To control your blood sugar levels, you should follow your doctor's instructions and avoid the use of natural remedies that they advise you against, because these could interfere with the treatment and causes further health problems.
Nowadays, it’s very common to suffer from high blood sugar, most often due to an unbalanced diet in general. High levels of glucose in the blood can cause pre-diabetes or diabetes. The second is a chronic disease which can be prevented if you control your weight, and take measures to lower your blood sugar.
Sometimes we may not be aware of excessive levels of sugar in our blood. That’s partly down to the fact that many of the foods we eat have hidden glucose, so we don’t consider them high-glucose foods.
Diabetes can also be a genetic condition – that is, our genetic traits mean we have a greater tendency to suffer from diabetes.
Advice on lowering your blood sugar with drinks
- Before consuming any drink or natural remedy, consult your doctor.
- Not all herbal beverages are recommended, so be sure to choose ones that have scientific validity, such as cinnamon tea.
- Your doctor will tell you how much you can drink each day and why. Be sure to follow their advice, as indiscriminate consumption of natural drinks (even if they seem harmless to you) can be risky and counterproductive. For example, if you consume a drink that isn’t right for you, instead of helping to lower your blood sugar, it can increase it and cause complications.
- Never mix several “medicinal” drinks at the same time, as they won’t give you additional benefits and may actually cause you discomfort.
- Maintain a balanced diet and adequate hydration at all times. And, if you’re not sure how to do it, talk to your doctor.
- Avoid the consumption of foods that don’t contribute anything good to your health, such as pastries, fried foods, sweets, etc.
- Natural drinks are not going to “eliminate” the excesses that you’ve caused by eating pastries or sweets. Neither are they going to give you an immediate and magical solution, and they aren’t going to “balance” your organism after such a big meal.
- Although it may seem obvious, it’s always good to remember that you should NEVER sweeten drinks.
Drinks to lower your blood sugar
In order to lower blood sugar, several drinks made with plants have been recommended in the popular sphere. The vast majority are not recommended from a medical point of view, as they can cause various interactions and inconveniences.
Oat water and cinnamon
- 1 cup of oatmeal
- 2 liters of water (8 cups)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
How to prepare
- Soak the oats in two liters of water for 12 hours.
- After the indicated time, strain the soaked oatmeal and place it in a blender along with the cinnamon.
Chamomile and cinnamon
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of chamomile flowers (10 g)
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder (or a cinnamon stick)
How to prepare
- Bring the water to a boil, and add the chamomile and cinnamon.
- Allow to infuse on a low heat for 3 minutes, and then drink.
Sesame and coconut milk
- 1 cup sesame seeds (200 g)
- 1 liter of natural coconut milk (4 cups)
- Place the sesame seeds in a hot frying pan and cook over medium heat until golden brown.
- The roasted sesame must then be ground to a smooth paste.
- Dissolve the product in the coconut milk.