8 Fascinating Ways to Use Banana Skins
Banana skins have many nutrients that can help us relieve different ailments whether we apply them topically or or take them in an infusion
Banana skins are more than just waste. Although we normally throw them away after eating the fruit, the truth is that they are an important source of nutrients and can offer us many benefits.
Although its flavour isn’t as pleasant as the pulp, its high concentration of fibre, anti-oxidants and essential minerals make it worthwhile reusing.
And, despite being overlooked, they are a 100% natural remedy that can help relieve various symptoms and diseases.
Furthermore, they have anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, which can help the treatment of several health problems.
Bearing in mind that many people don’t know about all these benefits, we want to share eight interesting ways to use them.
1. Fight constipation
Although bananas contains a lot of fibre, it’s important to remember that most of it is concentrated in the banana skins.
Consuming it encourages intestinal movement and aids the digestion process to avoid constipation.
- Just add it to smoothies, or prepare it in an infusion.
2. Remove warts
The white part on the inside of the skin contains fibre, antioxidants, and acidic substances that help regulate the skin’s pH level and helps the removal of unsightly warts.
- To do this, place the banana skins on top of the wart and secure it with adhesive tape.
- Leave it to work through the night and repeat this daily until the wart is gone.
3. Relieve insect bites
For its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, this natural ingredient can be used as an alternative for reducing the symptoms of insect bites.
Its direct application controls the irritation and relieves itching and redness.
- Rub banana skins on the affected area 2 or 3 times a day.
4. Combat fluid retention
The potassium contained in banana skins is useful for restoring the inflammatory balance of the body and, in turn, reduce fluid retention in body tissue.
Its absorption in the body regulates the levels of electrolytes and reduces inflammation in the muscles and joints
- Drink 2 or 3 cups of banana skin tea per day.
5. Care for cardiovascular health
Although it’s hard to believe, that part of the banana that you used to throw away is actually a powerful remedy for maintaining good cardiovascular health.
Its natural fibres decrease the absorption of cholesterol and, if that’s not enough, its potassium and phosphorus help regulate blood pressure.
- Therefore we recommend that you drink some tea made from banana skins, at least 3 times a week.
6. Reduce acne
Organic acids concentrated in the banana skins help regulate the pH of the skin and reduce the appearance of acne and blackheads.
They remove excess sebum that builds up in the pores and, due to its anti-inflammatory effect, reduces the size of spots.
- Take the banana peel and rub the inside white part over the affected areas.
- Leave it to act for 15 minutes then rinse. Repeat this every day.
7. Relieve bruises
If you’ve just suffered a blow and you have noticeable bruises on your skin, the application of banana peel can help.
Banana skins can help improve circulation to the affected area, allowing cellular oxygenation to repair the damaged tissue.
- Rub the banana peel on the bruise and let it work without rinsing.
- As an option, you can also prepare it in a tea infusion and drink it twice a day.
8. Relieve headaches
We normally relieve headaches with the use of analgesic drugs.
However, if you don’t have these to hand, you can take advantage of the properties of banana peel to ease your pain.
Its essential minerals, in addition to fibre and anti-oxidants, improve circulation and reduce the oxidative stress associated with headaches.
- Prepare a banana peel tea and drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
- As an option, put all the white part of the skin on the forehead and the back of your neck, and leave it to act for 15 minutes.
Surely you’re going to make better use of banana skin now? Stop throwing them away and use them as a natural solution for these types of problem.
Try to use them fresh, because refrigerated ones can lose some of their properties.