8 Ideas for Using Stale Bread: Don't Throw It Out!
As long as your stale bread is no more than 5 days old and doesn't have any mold, you can use it in a number of ways, such as some delicious French toast or as breadcrumbs for preparing other dishes.
What do you usually do with stale bread? It’s no longer good for making a soft, tasty sandwich. The kids don’t want it, either, because we all prefer fresh products, especially bread. It doesn’t matter if it’s a loaf of white bread, whole wheat, or a baguette. In the end, we always end up throwing it out and getting fresher bread.
But do you want to know what our recommendation is? Never throw out stale bread! You’ll be amazed at the multitude of things you can do with it, and you’ll love our interesting ideas for how to use it in the kitchen. Learn more here.
1. You can use stale bread to make breadcrumbs
These are an essential part of any kitchen pantry. Breadcrumbs are super useful for a number of dishes. All you have to do is grab some stale bread from the past few days, cut it into slices, and put them in your food processor. Then, process these until they have the right consistency.
Also Read: Eggplant Meatballs, a Delicious Recipe
Ideally, the bread should be really stale, because this will allow you to produce much finer breadcrumbs. Store the result in a plastic bag and wait two days before using it to bread other foods. Waiting will make it much drier and crunchier, and your recipes will turn out even more flavorful.
2. Delicious French toast
Have you ever made French toast? It’s delicious! This is the best option when it comes to using up a few slices of stale bread. Here’s how to make it:
What do I need?
- One baguette
- 250 ml of milk
- One egg
- 40 grams of sugar
- 20 grams of cinnamon
- 40 grams of sunflower oil
Also Read: Diseases Related to Drinking Cow Milk
How do you make French toast?
- Slice the bread and then dip it into the milk, which should have been previously mixed with the cinnamon.
- Then, dip it into the beaten egg, making sure to cover both sides.
- Finally, fry it up in a pan where you’ve heated up the sunflower oil. It’s super easy! To finish it off, just sprinkle a bit of sugar on top and eat immediately. You’ll love it!
This is one of the most unique ways to use old stale bread. Croutons are great for serving alongside soups and purees, or for topping off your favorite side dish. So, how do you prepare croutons? It’s super easy:
What do I need?
- Half a loaf of stale bread
- Olive oil
- Aromatic herbs, such as thyme or oregano
How do you prepare croutons?
- Slice the bread into thick slices, and then into small cubes.
- Then, fry them in oil. If you prefer, you can add some kind of spice of medicinal plant to the oil, such as thyme or oregano. This will make your croutons even tastier, and they’ll make a great addition to your dishes.
- When the croutons are golden, you can remove them from the pan.
- Use a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil. And they’re ready to add to your favorite soup or salad!
3. Hors d’oeuvres and appetizers
These are super easy and quite original. With a bit of imagination, you can create fun appetizers for lunch or for special occasions when you need something out of the ordinary.
You don’t have to spend money on specific types of toast. Just follow these instructions:
- Slice your stale bread into thin slices.
- Toast it for a few minutes in the oven with a bit of oil, pepper and oregano.
- Once they’re golden and crunchy, you can add whatever mixture you like on top.
- For example, you can add pieces of salmon with avocado.
- Another delicious option would be cherry tomatoes, celery, garlic and a bit of blue cheese. There are dozens of creative ideas out there, so get cooking!
4. Garlic bread: Delicious!
Garlic bread is so easy to prepare that it’s definitely going to become a go-to for your day-to-day recipes. Your family is going to love it, as it’s certainly one of the most delicious ways to reuse stale bread. Take a look at how to make it:
What do I need?
- One loaf of stale bread
- 50 grams of butter
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of parsley
- A bit of pepper
How do you make it?
- Start by preheating your oven to 160º Celsius.
- Then, partially slice the bread, but don’t completely separate it. Only cut halfway down the loaf. It’s really easy.
- Heat up a bit of butter until it melts. Once you have liquid butter, add the crushed garlic, chopped parsley and a bit of pepper.
- After that, you have to spread this mixture on your stale loaf of bread. Make sure that each slice gets covered in this mixture, making sure not to separate the slices.
- Then, wrap the loaf in aluminum foil and put it into the preheated oven.
- Cook the bread for 6 minutes. After that, take the loaf of bread out of the oven and remove the aluminum foil. Then, pop it back in the oven for five more minutes. Your garlic bread is ready! Let it cool for a minute before serving it. As you can see, this is a delicious and unique way to use your stale bread that is definitely worth trying.
What do you think? Any of these options is easy and recommendable. You can reuse your stale bread as long as it’s between 3 and 5 days old. After that amount of time, you should check to make sure it doesn’t have any mold. Usually, standard sandwich bread tends to go bad more quickly, so you should try to use baguettes for these recipes.