8 Benefits from Eating a Garlic Clove a Day
You could say without a doubt that garlic is one of the most widely used medicinal remedies out there. Known for centuries and present in nearly all cultures, garlic is more than just a spice used in cooking around the world.
The sulfur compounds and phytonutrients have made garlic famous since ancient times because they fight illnesses. That’s why it’s generally believed that garlic drives away not only vampires, but any epidemic or disease.
So…what kind of benefits can you get from eating a clove of garlic a day? A lot! In today’s article we invite you to discover the benefits of this natural medicinal root that’s nearly always available.
1. Garlic improves circulation
Garlic is rich in vitamin B, an essential compound that reduces your homocysteine levels. This substance is responsible for constricting your blood vessels and causing a variety of problems:
- High levels of homocysteine cause your blood to become thicker, creating clots.
- You have an increased risk of thrombus.
- The higher your levels of homocysteine the more likely you are to suffer from coronary artery disease.
When you eat garlic on an empty stomach you help fight these issues.
2. Garlic, an excellent natural antibiotic
Did you know that during medicinal shortages in World War II they used a lot of garlic?
It’s true. This powerful antibiotic was used back then and today, eating a clove of garlic on a regular basis can help you in a variety of ways:
- It strengthens your immune system.
- It cures minor infections.
- It promotes the healing of wounds.
- It fights colds and the flu.
3. Garlic is great for the liver
More than anything else, garlic promotes detox. It helps your body eliminate toxins, parasites, and heavy metals like mercury or traces of medications that your liver isn’t able to process.
- Garlic is rich in vitamins A, B, and C, all of which stimulate liver function.
- Another great benefit is that it fights inflammation, making it a healthy option if you suffer from fatty liver disease.
- If you wake up every morning with bags under your eyes, a swollen face, and a bad taste in your mouth it’s possible that your liver is overloaded. In these instances, garlic can be helpful.
Want to read more? Heal your liver: whole foods and bitter vegetables
4. It’s a good decongestant
Do you suffer from lung problems? If you’re one of those people who every time you catch a cold you wind up with your lungs full of phlegm and mucus, this could be very healthy for you.
- Garlic is a natural decongestant and antibiotic for treating lung problems.
- If you suffer from sinusitis or are experiencing a bad cough, you can make a syrup or a mist with garlic.
5. Garlic cares for the skin
This is a surprising benefit that might interest you: when you eat a clove of garlic every day on an empty stomach it can make your skin look more beautiful, smooth, and younger.
- Garlic is rich in antioxidants that help protect and regenerate your skin.
- It stimulates the renewal of cells and fights acne.
- To take advantage of these benefits all you need to do is eat a clove of garlic on an empty stomach and chase it with a cup of water.
6. It reduces cholesterol levels
Garlic contains allicin, a therapeutic substance that cares for your cardiovascular system. The effect is so strong that just one clove a day can reduce your bad cholesterol levels by 9%.
Several studies were conducted to arrive at this conclusion. One was at the Institute of Toxicology at Shandong University (China), where researchers concluded that the cardiovascular benefits were substantial.
In fact, since then the Spanish Heart Foundation has recommended that people include garlic not just for cholesterol reduction but also as a detox agent with antibiotic and antibacterial properties.
7. Do you suffer from anemia? Don’t forget to consume a garlic clove a day
No doubt at some point in your life you’ll suffer from an iron deficiency. Why would the addition of garlic to your diet be appropriate?
- It boosts your defenses and protects from disease.
- Garlic improves blood health and provides multiple vitamins and minerals.
- Garlic stimulates your body’s production of gastric juices and improves digestion.
See also 9 easy solutions for anemia
8. It takes care of your digestive system
We’re not suggesting that you ever eat an entire head of garlic in a day. The key is to keep things in balance and to know your body.
Some people will feel a little ill after eating a few cloves of garlic, but if you get used to taking it as an alternative form of medication every morning you’ll start seeing the benefits in a few days.
- Bette digestion
- Better absorption of nutrients from food thanks to increased stomach acid production.
- The liver and pancreas will improve their function.
When should you avoid eating garlic on a regular basis?
- Garlic is a natural blood thinner. So if you’re already taking medications for this or have problems clotting, it’s best to avoid consuming it every day.
- If you suffer from hyperthyroidism, avoid eating garlic every day because it contains large amounts of iodine.
- If you take any heart medications along with garlic capsules, avoid taking the garlic in the morning.
Keep your body balanced, don’t overdo your consumption of garlic, and if you’re in doubt, talk with your doctor first.