7 Surprising Benefits of Tilapia
Tilapia comes from a group of fish that is African in origin, along with blue tilapia, Nile tilapia, and Mozambique tilapia. These fish live in fresh, salty waters and are known in the culinary world for their mild flavor and ease of preparation with other dishes.
In this article, you’ll learn about the many benefits of tilapia.
This type of fish may not be as popular as salmon or other types of fish, but you the benefits Tilapia are many. It’s low in calories and fat, and thanks to its rich quantities of essential nutrients it is perfect for any healthy diet.
In fact, tilapia is a great source of vitamin D and high-value protein. Once your body absorbs the nutrients, there are lots of unexpected benefits.
Do you know what they are? Today, we’ll go over seven of the top reasons you should add tilapia to your diet.
7 Benefits of Tilapia:
1. It’s a great choice for pregnant women
Fish is often listed as one of the dangerous foods for women who are pregnant.
However, since tilapia has a very low mercury content and provides omega-3 fatty acids, it’s often recommended as a supplement to the diet.
- Mercury is a toxic metal that has been discovered at dangerously high levels in certain fish, such as swordfish, Bluefin tuna, and dogfish.
- In 2010, the Spanish Agency for Food Safety and Nutrition (AESAN) recommended that people avoid the consumption of these fish. The advisory was particularly for children under the age of three and women who are pregnant.
Read also: Omega 3, in more foods than fatty fish
2. It contains DHA acids
The DHA content of tilapia is another reason why it’s great for women who are pregnant.
Docosahexaenoic acid belongs to the group of omega-3 fatty acids. Overall, it promotes the development of the central nervous system, brain, and eyes of a fetus, which is key to their overall cognitive function.
- In general, pregnant mothers should try to get at least 200 mg of DHA per day.
- Among its other benefits, DHA also improves your circulation, brain function, and vision.
3. It’s a good source of protein
Just by taking a glance at the nutritional information on tilapia, you’ll see that this food contains a large amount of high-value protein.
This essential nutrient, which is involved with cognitive processes and metabolic health among lots of other things, is more easily assimilated into the body when it comes from the food you eat.
- Overall, each serving of 100 grams of tilapia provides up to 20 grams of protein. This is comparable to the amount contained in the same serving size of the chicken.
- Plus, high-value protein contains more amino acids and is a necessary component of a balanced diet.
4. It protects your cardiovascular health
Next, adding tilapia to your regular diet is a simple and delicious way to provide important benefits to your cardiovascular system.
DHA does not occur naturally in the body. However, it produces important effects when it comes from food.
- First of all, it improves your circulation, which is a key factor in avoiding high blood pressure and heart problems.
- Plus, it also reduces the amount of cholesterol in your arteries, a main cause of atherosclerosis and cardiac or vascular disorders.
5. It improves digestion
Unlike other types of meat, tilapia will improve your digestion. However, this is not just because of the essential nutrients it contains, but also thanks to its texture.
- This fish is very easy on your digestive system. Your body can digest it quickly, preventing inflammation or constipation.
- When you combine it with vegetables, you have a full dish that is still very light for your body.
See also: 9 types of fish that are best avoided
6. It prevents anemia
There is a small amount of iron in tilapia. However, it contains other nutrients that can help prevent anemia. These include:
- B group vitamins (B3, B6, B9, and B12)
In turn, these nutrients help keep your skin, hair, and nails healthy.
7. It helps you maintain a healthy weight
Finally, thanks to the high-value protein and essential nutrients in tilapia, this fish is a great choice to help you take care of your weight without going hungry.
These nutrients all support the formation of muscle mass, which improves your metabolism.
- Your physical and mental performance will also improve, making you stronger and more capable during exercise.
- Tilapia prolongs feelings of fullness, decreasing those hunger pangs that lead to continuous snacking.
Are you ready to add tilapia to your regular diet? You can grill it, bake it, or steam it, and it will always turn out delicious.
The taste and smell of tilapia are also not as strong as other fish, which makes it very appealing to many people. If you enjoyed this article, make sure to take advantage of the benefits of Tilapia.It might interest you...