7 Tips to Overcome Bronchitis at Home
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease that is caused when the bronchi become inflamed. These are the tubes in charge of transporting air from the nose and mouth to the lungs. Because of this disease, you can have difficulty breathing, cough a lot, and experience congestion. Do you want to learn how to overcome bronchitis?
In most cases, you can treat this illness with some home care. Even if the doctor prescribes some medicine, they’ll normally suggest some strategies to treat it naturally first. Only the most serious cases need antibiotics, bronchodilators or pulmonary rehabilitation therapy.
Tips to overcome bronchitis naturally
Many of the symptoms start to improve significantly after two weeks. However, if the disease is chronic, the best thing to do is see a doctor to determine what the best treatment is.
In any case, making a few adjustments to your lifestyle can help alleviate your symptoms. These steps minimize the severity of the symptoms and speed up your recovery process. Discover them below!
1. Increase consumption of healthy liquids
One of the keys to overcome bronchitis and reduce congestion is to make sure you drink enough water and healthy liquids. These types of drinks help to dilute mucous, helping to remove it when you cough or blow your nose. Additionally, you’ll avoid dehydration which can worsen symptoms.
What liquids can you drink?
- Warm water with lemon
- Herbal or fruit teas
- Natural water
- Natural juices
- Chicken or vegetable broth
2. Install a humidifier
A humidifier is an excellent tool to have when you suffer from bronchitis or any other pulmonary disease. By breathing the hot and humid air produced by a humidifier, the mucous in your respiratory tracts will loosen and your cough will lighten. Of course, it’s important to keep it clean to guarantee these benefits.
3. Avoid tobacco
One of the worst enemies of respiratory health is tobacco. Due to this, one of the keys to overcome bronchitis is completely avoiding tobacco. Its toxins easily go through your respiratory tracts, causing irritation in your bronchi and lung damage.
- If you’re a smoker, look for help to stop smoking.
- Remember that breathing second-hand cigarette smoke is also harmful. If you don’t smoke, avoid being around people who do.
4. Do physical exercise
Although high-impact physical exercise isn’t recommended for patients with bronchitis, a low-impact routine can be very helpful. Regular exercise strengthens the muscles that help you to breathe, which reduces the complications of your bronchitis symptoms.
- Sedentary people should start exercising slowly and gradually, with short, low-intensity exercises. If possible, you should ideally design a plan with the help of a professional.
You might be interested in: Shortness of Breath: The Main Causes and Solutions
5. Use vapor therapies
Vapor therapies are very useful to overcome bronchitis. These therapies help to break up mucous to make it easier to remove it. On the other hand, they relax muscles that can be tense due to your cough. Additionally, it reduces congestion and helps you to breathe better.
- To do this type of therapy, you just need to heat a pot of water up to boiling and remove it from the heat. Then, add a bit of eucalyptus or thyme oil to the water.
- After that, breathe in the vapor, draping a towel over your head and the pot to take advantage of all the fumes.
- Do this for 3 to 5 minutes and then rest.
6. Sleep well
Difficulty breathing and cough due to bronchitis can make sleeping hard. However, it’s important to try to sleep well to improve your immune functions and accelerate the recovery process. What can you do?
- Make sure you have a comfortable sleeping environment
- Avoid using distracting devices, like laptops and smartphones
- Drink relaxing teas, like chamomile, valerian, or lavender
- Practice a relaxation technique right before going to sleep
7. Follow a healthy diet
Eating healthy foods can help to alleviate your symptoms from any respiratory problem. Absorbing enough vitamins and minerals helps to keep your immune system strong, accelerating recovery from bronchitis and other infections.
Make sure to eat:
- Citrus fruits
- Red fruits
- Leafy green vegetables
- Whole grains
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Fatty fish
- Lean meats
- Herbs and spices
Are you trying to overcome bronchitis and its uncomfortable symptoms? Keep these recommendations in mind. If you don’t see improvement in a few weeks, see your doctor for advice.It might interest you...