7 Solutions to Strengthen Weak Nails
Many things can lead to weak nails such as continually using nail polish remover, overexposure to water, hyper- or hypothyroidism, psoriasis, lung problems, anemia, fungal infections, etc.
Whatever the reason might be, weak nails are always uncomfortable because they chip and break easily. The good news is that you can treat them at home.
In our post, discover a list of 7 home solutions for strengthening nails.
Vitamin E oil
Nails often weaken as a result from dehydration. In order to keep them hydrated, vitamin E oil is especially useful because it nourishes and strengthens them.
- Extract the oil from a vitamin E capsule.
- Apply it to your nails.
- Gently massage in to help blood circulation.
- Repeat daily for two or three weeks in order to see improvement.
Alternatively, you can take vitamin E capsules orally. To get the best results, use this remedy before going to sleep.
Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for strong nails. It contains saturated fats that moisturize nails and protect them from infections.
- You can apply warm coconut oil directly on your nails and gently massage in for 5 minutes.
- It improves blood circulation in the nail bed.
- Use the coconut oil two or three times a day.
Apple cider vinegar
Among all of the natural remedies out there, apple cider vinegar is another especially effective one for fragile nails. It’s packed full of nutrients such as iron, calcium, vitamins, potassium, magnesium, etc. Apple cider vinegar also has acetic and malic acid that help prevent nail infections.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar with water.
- Submerge your nails in the mixture for a few minutes.
- Immediately after, gently push your cuticles back.
- Use this remedy for five days straight to strengthen your nails.
Lemon juice helps strengthen your nails and make them shine, as well.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the lemon juice to your nails and wear gloves for the entire night.
Warm oils can improve nail condition and texture.
- Mix together equal parts of jojoba oil and olive oil.
- Heat up the mixture until the oil is warm to touch.
- Dip small cotton balls into the mixture and set them on your nails.
- Leave them for ten minutes, allowing the oil to penetrate the nails and nourish them.
You recommend that you read: Home Remedy for Dry Hands and Cuticles
If dryness is causing your nails to break, this is the best home remedy for you.
- Massage your nails using egg yolk for two minutes.
- Wash off with clean water.
Orange juice contains folic acid that’s essential for nail growth.
- Extract the juice of a fresh orange.
- Dip your nails in the juice for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Use a moisturizer after patting nails dry.
Change your habits
- Consume foods rich in biotin such as whole grains, eggs, tomatoes, almonds, cauliflower, lentils, strawberries, soy, milk, etc. Or, you can also use biotin supplements after having consulted your doctor.
- Eat foods that are rich in protein such as fish, poultry, beef, pork, seeds, nuts, spinach and other vegetables. Also, you can drink protein shakes to get your fill on protein.
- Exercises regularly to maintain healthy blood circulation. It’ll help your nails stay strong and grow faster.
- Keep your nails short to reduce their surface area. By doing so, they’ll absorb less water and chemical products.
- Opt for a good brand of nail polish remover.
- Keep your nails exposed to sunlight for a couple of minutes every day to ensure their vitamin D absorption.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
- Push your cuticles back instead of removing them to prevent infections.
- Use cuticle cream to keep them moisturized.
- File your nails regularly to prevent cracks and peels.
- Wear gloves when working with water, detergents or chemical products.
What you shouldn’t do:
- Avoid overexposure to water.
- Don’t use nail polish removers that contain strong chemical products such as acetone and formaldehyde.
- Avoid wearing fake nails because they can lead to infections.
- Don’t use alcohol-based hand-sanitizers as they can dry out nails.
- Refrain from biting nails or ripping hangnails. Also, don’t scratch your nails as it can weaken them.
- Avoid using too much nail polish remover.