7 Reasons You Should Eat More Eggplant
In addition to having diuretic properties, eggplant is rich in antioxidants that help keep cholesterol levels under control and even improve your memory and prevent premature aging. Learn more in this article!
Eggplant is a vegetable that’s known around the world, not just for its versatility in the kitchen, but also because it has a high concentration of nutrients that can benefit our health.
In the past, it was thought that this food was toxic and not suitable for human consumption, thanks to its characteristic color.
Nevertheless, over time it has been incorporated into the diets of many different populations, and its medicinal properties have also since been proven.
Eggplant is currently recommended for all types of diets, and thanks to its high content of antioxidants, it has been attributed to reductions in cancer, weight loss, and anti-aging benefits.
In spite of this, many people still don’t know how beneficial it is to consume eggplant on a regular basis, and how it can contribute to your general well-being.
This is why we want to share seven interesting reasons why you should be eating more eggplant.
Don’t miss out!
1. It protects your heart healthThis vegetable has a high content of fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and B vitamins whose effects on the body contribute to heart health.
The high flavonoid content is related to a decrease in the risk of developing chronic cardiovascular diseases.
2. It keeps cholesterol at bay
In addition to the above benefits, it’s important to mention that eggplant is one of the best foods you can choose when it comes to controlling cholesterol levels.
It contains a compound known as chlorogenic acid, one of the most potent antioxidants found in plants.
It’s been shown that this natural acid decreases excess lipid levels in the arteries, while also fighting cancer cells and exerting antiviral and anti-microbial properties.
Similarly, its vitamins and minerals improve circulatory health and prevent fats from remaining attached to the arteries.
See also: 8 teas for high cholesterol
3. It reduces the risk of cognitive diseaseRegular consumption of eggplant has interesting benefits on both the brain and the nervous system.
Its antioxidants effectively fight free radicals in the environment, while improving memory and cognitive function.
The skin of the eggplant contains a substance known as nasunin, whose antioxidant powers facilitate the transport of nutrients to your brain cells.
It also increases blood flow to the brain, preventing mental disorders related to age.
4. It fights fluid retention
Eggplant’s diuretic properties benefit patients having problems with fluid retention and inflammation.
Eggplant water has become one of the best ways to alleviate the conditions associated with these ailments.
5. It eliminates excess abdominal fatAlthough it might seem incredible, eggplant is one of the best foods for fighting excess fat that builds up in the abdomen.
While it’s not a miracle cure, eating eggplant is a great complement for people who are trying to lose weight.
This benefit can be explained by the fact that it’s such a powerful diuretic that helps cleanse the body, removing wastes that build up over time.
It also stimulates liver function, which is key to properly metabolizing fats.
In addition to that, the natural fiber enhances digestion and prolongs feelings of fullness to curb excessive calorie consumption.
6. It fights premature aging
The antioxidants in eggplant have a direct effect on the protection of your body’s cells.
Regular consumption decreases your risk of several types of cancer and chronic problems related to aging.
In addition to that, it slows the early loss of collagen and elastin, keeping your skin looking young and healthy.
We recommend reading: Signs of an overworked liver
7. It strengthens bones and jointsCombining several servings of this food could help reduce your risk of diseases that affect the bones and joints.
- Eggplant is a source of vitamins A, B, C, and E, in addition to minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- When you add folic acid to these nutrients, you protect your bone health and control inflammatory processes that lead to the development of problems like arthritis.
As you’ve seen, eggplant is a complete food that provides multiple benefits in both the medium and long term.
Try it on a regular basis, either through beverages or delicious recipes.