7 Natural Ways to Boost Your Immune System and Prevent Colds and the Flu
Colds and other respiratory illnesses are among the main reasons why your school work or job performance might suffer. After all, the symptoms can be very strong and cause you to miss a few days in bed.
One of the reasons why viruses are able to attack your immune system is because your defenses might be low.
However, you might be wondering why this happens at all.
Believe it or not, the answer is very simple: leading such a fast-paced life can cause you to be more prone to all the viruses around you. Poor eating habits, getting too little rest, leading a sedentary lifestyle, smoking, and others are some of the reasons you become vulnerable to viruses.
There are many medications available to fight these viruses. However, your body could be come resistant to them, so you need to find new ways to deal with them without pharmaceutical grade drugs.
You’re wondering how you can avoid getting viruses.
The answer is very simple: keep your immune defenses working at their maximum level. There are certain vitamin complexes that will help with this. Today, we want to discuss how you can do it in a natural, affordable way.
7 foods that boost your immune system
Diet is a fundamental pillar that will help you maintain a highly functional immune system. In this list you’ll find seven foods that can boost your defenses to their fullest.
Chicken broth: Without a doubt, this food is best for your body when you have a cold. It contains vitamins and proteins that help your immune system fight any pathogens that attack your body.
Garlic: This plant comes from the amarylidaceae family and has a very high content of vitamin C and the B complex vitamins. Garlic also contains strong antibiotics, which help fight any viruses and fungi in your body. You can consume garlic with honey or add it to your daily meals.
- Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower: These three vegetables belong to the cruciferous family, and just like garlic they contain high amounts of vitamin C. They are also natural antioxidants.
- Spinach and chard: These two leafy greens contain plenty of vitamin A, which helps your body avoid infection. Fruits like bananas, peaches, and cherries are additional foods that contain lots of vitamin A.
- Grains: Oats, wheat, and rice help strengthen your immune system thanks to their high content of vitamin B.
- Royal jelly: This is an ideal substance to complement your immune system thanks to its interesting makeup. It contains lipids, protein, large amounts of the B vitamins (B1, B2, B5, B6, and B8), antibiotics, amino acids, folic acid, and minerals like calcium, iron, sodium, potassium, and zinc. Without a doubt, royal jelly will boost your defenses quickly and naturally.
- Yogurt: Yogurt contains a bacteria known as Lactobacillus, a probiotic that helps generate antibodies in your body, so consuming yogurt will help you produce antibodies naturally.
The healthier your dietary habits are, the better your immune system will be able to work to avoid colds, the flu, and respiratory diseases. You’ll also have an excuse to try new things in your kitchen!
Do you want to know more? Read: Take propolis at the first cold and flu symptoms
Medicinal plants to fight colds and other respiratory diseases
- Eucalyptus: This is one of the most-used plants for reducing nasal congestion. You can inhale its scent three times a day.
- Elder: Tea made from elderflowers and the leaves can help alleviate flu symptoms. The best way to prepare this tea is to add 30 grams of dried flowers and leaves to a liter of boiling water, let it steep for 20 minutes, and drink while warm.
- Echinacea: This plant will strengthen your immune system while alleviating and preventing symptoms from colds and other respiratory ailments. The best way to use Echinacea is in a tea, but you can also find tablets at your local pharmacy.
What are you waiting for? Start improving your immune system today!It might interest you...