7 Natural Remedies for Persistent Headaches
Natural remedies against headaches are highly recommended. For starters, there are some headaches that have some very specific characteristics.
- They’re like an oppressive pain and they have no genetic cause.
- They almost always occur at the same time and don’t come with any hypersensitivity to light, as with a migraine.
- In fact, it’s normally not as intense as a migraine.
There are different ways to deal with this problem. However, natural remedies against persistent headaches are usually the best. In general, they don’t cause adverse side-effects.
Some of the best natural remedies against headaches are the following:
1. Lemon tea, an excellent alternative
Lemon has great healing properties. It detoxifies, purifies, is an anti-oxidant, and is has been attributed anti-cancer properties.
To take advantage of this we suggest the following recipe.
- 4 cups of water (1 litre)
- Peel of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Honey (to taste)
- Heat the water with the lemon skin and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Next, turn off the heat, add the lemon juice and sweeten with honey.
- You can drink it cold or hot.
2. Ice, a great help against headaches
The application of a cold compress is one of the best natural remedies against headaches.
- Put some ice cubes in a bag. You must be able to seal it completely, to prevent water from running out.
- Then cover the bag with a cloth and place it on the place where the pain is located.
- Apply at 2-minute intervals, with 30 seconds of rest, for 20 minutes.
3. Chamomile tea
Chamomile is another plant that has multiple medicinal properties. To prepare this tea, it is best to use the flowers and always check that they’re fresh.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tbsp. of chamomile flowers (10 g)
- Heat the water and when it reaches a boil, add the flowers.
- Next, turn off the heat and cover for 10 minutes.
- You should drink this tea hot.
A variant consists of adding some ice cubes to the tea.
- Then, wet a clean cloth with the tea and apply it to the eyelids for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cloth, wait another 20 minutes and repeat.
4. Lavender oil
Essential oils have wonderful effects on the body. For headaches, it’s best to use lavender oil.
It can be used in its pure form, but combined with other substances it can have greater effects.
- 4 drops of lavender oil
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil (16 g)
- ½ tbsp. of argan oil (7 g)
- ½ tbsp. of almond oil (7 g)
- The best formula is to add four drops of lavender oil to one tablespoon of olive oil and mix it with almond and argan oil.
- Massage your head with this mixture, around the temples and behind the ears.
- Likewise, it’s also good to apply a little of this oil to your pillow or on your clothes, since the aroma is also curative.
5. Ginger, a natural wonder
Ginger is another natural product that’s useful for many ailments and diseases.
In the case of headaches, it acts as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
- ¼ tsp. of grated ginger (1 g)
- 1 glass of water (200 ml)
- Just grate a small amount of ginger, not more than half a fingernail (¼ teaspoon).
- Then add it to a glass of boiling water and drink it.
- It also works for migraines.
6. Cold and hot water
- 1 tbsp. of mustard (10 g)
- 4 tbsps. of sea salt (40 g)
- 1 glass of water (200 ml)
- Combine the mustard with the sea salt, add the mixture to a glass of hot water and stir until it dissolves well.
- Then take two containers. Pour a good amount of cold water into one and hot water into the other. Add half of the mixture to each of the containers.
- Next, submerge your feet, up to the ankles, for five minutes in each container.
- Do this repeatedly until the hot water cools.
- You should always finish in the container of cold water.
7. Anti-stress foods and relaxing practices
A big culprit of headaches is excessive stress.
Therefore, it’s important to introduce some so-called “anti-stress foods” into your diet. Some are oats and products that contain Omega 3. Nuts are also a very good suggestion.
Meditation or disciplines such as yoga, tai chi or reiki are also very good ideas if you frequently suffer from headaches. They’ll significantly reduce your stress levels.
This eliminates one of the most common factors that cause persistent headaches.It might interest you...