7 Iodine Packed Beverages to Improve Thyroid Function
If you're not a huge fan of fish or seafood, then why not try out some of the iodine packed beverages in this article, so that you can get plenty of iodine into your diet in a natural and delicious way.
Iodine packed beverages can be a great dietary supplement in patients with thyroid problems – as long as they’re authorized by a doctor.
These are natural drinks that can be enjoyed any time alongside a meal or snack. In this article, we’ll tell you more about them so that you can start incorporating them into your own diet.
Iodine – an essential mineral for your health
Iodine is an essential micromineral because it’s involved in the synthesis of thyroid hormones. This means that it’s also involved in regulating functions throughout the body. It also plays a key role in growth, cell function, neural processes, and even your mental faculties.
According to information from the World Health Organization, iodine deficiency is one of the main causes of mental development problems in children. As such, it’s important to make sure it’s present in the diet from an early age.
To obtain iodine, you need to eat certain foods on a regular basis as part of a balanced diet. Some of the most notable sources of iodine include fish and sea food, although it’s also possible to find it in foods like iodized salt, fruit, veg, dairy products, and even some kinds of seaweed.
Iodine packed beverages
In this next section, we’ll be taking a look at some simple, delicious and natural ways you can get iodine into your diet.
1. Cow’s milk
Drinking cow’s milk can provide you with sufficient quantities of iodine and help maintain adequate thyroid function.
One glass of cow’s milk can contain 55 μg of iodine. It’s important to clarify that these levels don’t vary if you choose low-fat varieties of milk.
2. Blackberry juice
Blackberries are fairly similar to strawberries, both in nutritional value, and mineral content. If you don’t like strawberries, consider using blackberries as a substitute.
One glass of blackberry juice can contain approximately 20 μg of iodine.
3. Strawberry smoothie
One cup of strawberries can give you roughly 13 μg of iodine. In fact, strawberries contain the highest amount of iodine of any fruit.
See also: Strawberries rejuvenate your skin
- Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup of strawberries (85 g)
- 1 cup of organic milk (250 ml)
- Slice the strawberries into small pieces.
- Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Serve, add the strawberries and drink in moderation.
4. Cranberry smoothie
Cranberries are another berry with a lot of iodine. It’s estimated that just 150 ml of cranberry juice can contain up to 400 μg of iodine.
- Ice cubes (to taste)
- 1 cup of fresh spinach (30 g)
- 1 cup of coconut milk (250 ml)
- 1 cup of cranberry juice (250 ml)
- Process all the ingredients in your blender until smooth.
- Drink in moderation.
5. Strawberries and yogurt
Eating a portion of yogurt and strawberries is also an excellent way to increase your iodine intake.
One cup of liquid yogurt can contain approximately 90 μg of iodine. This high content makes it one of the best iodine packed drinks to keep in your kitchen pantry.
- 2 pints of natural liquid yogurt
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries or cranberries
- Take one cup of fruit and cut into small cubes.
- Place the second cup in the blender along with the liquid yogurt
- Blend well until smooth and then place it into a glass or plastic container with a lid.
- Add the chopped fruit and mix.
6. Mango juice
- 1 cup of mango, chopped (165 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- Ice cubes
- Combine all ingredients in your blender and process until smooth.
- Serve with a few ice cubes and drink
7. Creamy green smoothie
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped seaweed (20 g)
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/2 a medium sized avocado
- 1 cup of coconut water (250 ml)
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly and drink.
Iodine packed beverages are only a dietary supplement. They should never be used as a supplement for a main meal.
We would recommend avoiding adding sugar or sweeteners to your smoothies. Ideally, you should try to enjoy the natural flavor of these healthy ingredients.