7 Iodine Packed Beverages to Improve Thyroid Function
If you want to stimulate your thyroid gland you need to increase your iodine consumption. On top of their many benefits for that gland, these beverages have no negative side effects.
Do you have thyroid problems? If the answer is yes, you should definitely read our list of 7 iodine packed beverages!
Iodine is one of the body’s essential minerals because it’s solely responsible for regulating the production of the thyroid hormone. This hormone plays a major role in your body’s development.
Getting enough iodine is also critical for people who have hypothyroidism. The iodine packed beverages in today’s article are excellent, easy to make options.
Besides just providing you with the right amount of iodine, they also help you stay hydrated. Read on and learn how to make these delicious, iodine packed beverages. They’re a great way to keep your thyroid working properly.
1. Strawberry juice
One of the most delicious ways to get more iodine in your diet is to drink strawberry juice. Just one cup of strawberries has around 13 mg of iodine. They also have a higher iodine content than most other fruits.
Because they’re so sweet, strawberries are also a great dessert option. But for now, we’re going to show you a strawberry smoothie that you can have with breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
See also: Strawberries rejuvenate your skin
- 1/2 cup of strawberries (85 g)
- 1 cup of organic milk (250 ml)
- 1 ice cube
- Slice the strawberries into small pieces.
- Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
As we mentioned, this beverage is extremely rich in iodine, and it’s also easy to make. We suggest that you avoid adding sugar so that it stays as natural as possible.
2. Cow’s milkPasteurized cow’s milk doesn’t just help you keep your bones and teeth health. It also helps you get the amounts of iodine you need to keep your thyroid functioning properly.
One cup of cow’s milk can contain up to 55 mg of iodine. It doesn’t matter whether you prefer whole, 2%, or skim, either. There’s no issue it all if you’re on a low-fat diet.
3. Cranberry juice
Cranberries are another berry with a lot of iodine. It’s good to eat them if you have hypothyroidism or just want to improve your thyroid functioning.
In just 150 ml of cranberry juice, you can find up to 400 mg of iodine.
Cranberry smoothie, one of the best iodine packed beverages
This beverage doesn’t just boost your iodine levels, it also helps reduce pain.
- 1 cup of fresh spinach (30 g)
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup of cranberry juice (250 ml)
- 1 ice cube
- Process all the ingredients in your blender until smooth and drink right away.
Drinking kefir is a great way to get your daily value of iodine. Plus, you can get even more if you combine it with strawberries or blueberries.
One cup of kefir can contain up to 90 mg of iodine. So, it’s a great food to keep around in your fridge.
- 1 liter of kefir
- 2 cups of organic strawberries or blueberries (340 g)
- Add all ingredients except for one cup of the berries to your blender.
- Chop the reserved berries and set them aside.
- Process thoroughly until smooth and store it in a glass jar or plastic container with a lid. Stir in the additional cup of chopped berries.
5. Blueberry juiceBlueberries are delicious, and like strawberries, they have a lot of vitamins in minerals. If you don’t like strawberries or cranberries, blueberry juice is also a great option.
One cup of blueberry juice could contain around 20 mg of iodine.
6. Mango juice
Mango juice isn’t one of the first beverages you might think of when it comes to iodine content. But thanks to its rich stores of vitamin E it’s great for stimulating thyroid function.
One cup of mango provides about 12% of your daily value of vitamin E.
You might like: Mango: an anti-aging fruit
- 1 cup of mango, chopped (165 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- 1 ice cube
- Combine all ingredients in your blender and process until smooth. Drink immediately.
This is a great option for hydration after exercise or on a hot summer day.
7. Creamy green smoothieLong, hard days at work usually affect your diet, which can damage your thyroid. That’s why we recommend the following delicious, iodine-rich beverage.
All the ingredients in it have high antioxidant content. That means this drink will also eliminate toxins and give you energy. Do you even need another reason to give it a shot?
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped seaweed (20 g)
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/2 of a medium sized avocado
- 1 cup of coconut water (250 ml)
- Blend all ingredients thoroughly and drink immediately.
This beverage goes against the common conception that all green smoothies have to have spinach. But just try it and see how healthy and delicious it is!
Iodine packed beverages have countless benefits
All of these beverages are natural, easy to prepare, delicious, and of course – rich in iodine. They can also give your thyroid a boost and relieve any discomfort from imbalances.
The usual medical treatments for hyperthyroidism can have some unpleasant side effects. Thanks to these beverage options you can avoid a lot of unnecessary trouble, the natural way.