7 Homemade Treatments to Combat Frizz
Why do I have frizz?
According to a publication in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium, shiny, smooth-textured hair with sealed ends is often perceived as healthy. However, regardless of its color, shape, or size, it can be affected when we altering its style with dyes or elements that are currently popular.
In general, these can cause the following:
- Loss of shine
- Frizziness or frizziness
- Split ends
- Other hair problems
We also know that other factors, such as nutrition and dehydration, can compromise hair health. In the case of frizz, it’s usually associated with a loss of natural moisture in the strands, humidity from the climate, and deterioration of the hair fibers.
At the same time, a study published in 2011 in Medecine Tropicale explained that frizzy hair syndrome is due to lateral growth and tight coiling of the hair fiber. In general, it’s secondary to improper grooming practices and damage. It’s also considered a risk factor for excessive hair loss.
Homemade treatments to fight frizz
Home treatments can be a good adjuvant in reducing the appearance of frizzy hair. However, knowing that it’s a problem that may have its origin in hair damage that requires more care, it’s best to seek advice from a dermatologist to find other treatment options. In addition, it should be complemented with other care.
According to information in the American Academy of Dermatology, it’s possible to stop damaging the hair by improving the way you apply products such as shampoo and conditioner. Also, by reducing the use of heat elements, avoiding direct exposure to chlorine from swimming pools, and allowing it to air dry. What else can you do?
Here are some of the natural remedies that have become popular as alternatives to improve the appearance of frizzy hair. While there are no studies to back up their effectiveness, they’re generally safe. Try them!
1. Apple cider vinegar
On its own, apple cider vinegar is acidic and can be harsh for people with sensitive scalps. However, diluted with water, it’s safe for almost everyone. It’s generally used externally to promote soft, shiny, frizz-free hair.
- To use, mix it in equal parts with water and spray all over the hair. After about 10 minutes, rinse.
- You can repeat the application 2 or 3 times a week.
Read this article too: 5 Unusual Uses for Apple Cider Vinegar that You’ll Want to Know
Another natural trick that seems to have positive effects against frizzy hair is the application of beer. However, it’s important to note that beer contains alcohol, which can dehydrate the hair.
Therefore, it should be used with extra caution, preferably combined with other hair products. If you have a sensitive scalp, it’s better to opt for another option.
- If you want to try it, combine equal parts of beer and water and spray all over the hair.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse.
- Repeat twice a week.
3. Egg yolk
Egg yolk is a nutritious food, containing essential fatty acids, vitamins A, B, D, E, and minerals such as iron, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. According to a study published in Dermatology Practical & Conceptual, these nutrients contribute to healthier hair.
- To avoid frizzy hair, we recommend mixing your regular shampoo with an egg yolk. You hair will be clean, nourished, and frizz-free. This treatment is ideal for people with normal or dry hair.
Bee honey is a well-known product in the cosmetic industry due to its antioxidant, regenerative and anti-inflammatory properties.
Even, as detailed in a review published in An International Quarterly Journal of Research in Ayurveda, it’s used in the manufacturing of skin products and hair conditioners.
We suggest using it in a simple home treatment for frizzy hair, which in turn helps to treat dryness.
- 2 tablespoons of liquid honey (50 g)
- ½ cup of water (100 ml)
- Mix the honey with the water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture to your dry hair, a half hour before you plan to wash it.
- Massage it into your scalp.
- Afterwards wash hair as you normally would.
- Repeat daily.
5. Condition your hair without rinsing
A quick method for preventing frizz is using a small amount of hair conditioner, and not washing it out. If you do this, the conditioner will remain as an anti-frizz product.
- However, your shouldn’t overuse this method. Conditioner can help moisturize your hair, but overuse can also cause dandruff or bad odor. Therefore, you should only use this remedy occasionally.
Read this article too: Five Natural Homemade Conditioners for Shiny Hair
6. Pre-wash hair mask
Another simple way to eliminate frizzy hair is applying a hair mask after washing. A hair mask will work on hair for at least a half hour on dry hair. Then, wash it with your regular shampoo and conditioner. The result? More hydrated and detangled hair.
7. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil is one of the most suitable oils for nourishing frizzy hair. A recent review, published in Dermatology and Venereology, highlights its moisturizing qualities for hair and skin as its main benefit.
- Apply it in small amounts, spreading it well in both hands and massaging it throughout all of your hair. You can apply it on wet or dry hair, before or after shampooing.
- Repeat application 2 or 3 times a week.
There are several ways to avoid frizzy hair
Whether your hair is frizzy or not depends on many factors. However, it’s possible to improve its appearance with the application of the above remedies. Choose one at a time and stick with the one that works best for you. Finally, remember to take into account other means of caring for your hair, such as using gentle combs, applying moisturizing treatments, among others.It might interest you...