7 Home Solutions to Reduce Muscle Spasms
Muscle pains and spasms can be caused by several different factors. Sometimes, we may know why we have these annoying pains, while other times we may not. In most cases, stress, muscle tension, falls, a wrong movement, or even the flu can cause muscle damage, muscle discomfort or weak muscles.
Thus, it’s very important to know how to relieve muscle pain because it directly affects our daily life.
In this article, we’ll take a look at some home remedies to treat muscle spasms.
You may also be interested in: 6 Things that might be Causing Muscle Cramps
Home Remedies to Treat Muscle Spasms
Natural products are ideal for relieving discomforts in our bodies. Keep reading for a list of the seven best solutions to treat or avoid muscle pain and muscle spasms.
1. Hot water
Hot or warm water is perfect for relaxing muscles. It is one of the most widely used home remedies due to its simplicity and effectiveness.
Ideally, you should have a hot water bag, hot compress, or a cloth soaked in hot water. Once the hot compress is applied to the affected area, it will help stimulate blood circulation, which will decrease muscle tension and inflammation.
You can also save time by directly apply hot water on the affected area during a shower or bath.
2. Rosemary branches
Rosemary is a very beneficial herb that can be used to treat or relieve several ailments of the body. In this case, an infusion with rosemary can help the inflammation and pain disappear.
- Dampen a cloth with the rosemary infusion and apply it to the area you wish to treat.
- If you have rosemary oil, you can gently but firmly massage it on the afflicted area to alleviate pain and inflammation.
3. Increase your potassium intake
A lack of potassium can cause severe muscle spasms. This valuable nutrient can help prevent extreme muscle cramps.
To prevent severe muscle cramps, increase your intake of potassium rich foods. The most common and well-known potassium-rich food is bananas. However, if you don’t like bananas, you can mask its flavor or texture in a smoothie or juice with other fruits.
We suggest you read: 9 Fruits that are Rich in Potassium
4. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very versatile. Not only is it a great household cleaning product, but it also contains medicinal properties. For example, it helps the body combat muscle spasms and pain. For this reason, it’s an ideal remedy to combat muscle discomfort.
- To use apple cider vinegar as a home remedy, first create a mixture of water and 2 cups of apple cider vinegar (500 ml).
- Then, soak the affected area in the mixture.
- Another option is to soak a cloth, gauze, or other compress in the mixture and then wrap the affected area. Leave it wrapped for 30 minutes.
Whenever most people think of muscular discomfort, they immediately think of ice. It is a great natural anti-inflammatory that’s also readily available in the home.
- You can simply apply the ice by wrapping several ice cubes in a cloth or towel and applying to the affected area. It is important not to apply ice directly, as it can damage the skin.
- Leave the ice on the affected area for 15 minutes.
- You can use this treatment 2 or 3 times a day, or whenever necessary.
6. Valerian Infusions
One of the most relaxing plants is Valerian. A Valerian infusion works to relax the body both mentally and physically.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of Valerian (15 g)
- First, boil the water
- Once the water has reached a boil, add a tablespoon of Valerian. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- After 5 or 10 minutes, strain.
- Finally, drink!
Ideally, drink the Valerian infusion at night before going to bed. Not only does the body recuperate better during sleep, but Valerian can also make some people feel drowsy.
7. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil may be your best bet to fighting off muscle spasms. Much like Valerian, lavender has relaxing properties, and that’s why it’s often used in aromatherapy, air fresheners, and candles.
- Obtain lavender oil from a herbalist’s shop. It’s important to make sure it’s pure and does not contain any chemicals.
- Apply the oil to the affected area and massage it until it is fully absorbed.
As you can see, these recommendations are basic, but they prove very effective in alleviating and eliminating muscle spasms. They’re a simple way to prevent muscle pain and improve your daily life.It might interest you...