Everywhere, we hear about how important collagen is. We can find cosmetic products and even foods that offer collagen naturally. Actually, we even talked about the substance here in a previous post.
But do you really know what collagen is and how it helps you?
We’ll tell you all about it in this post.
What is collagen?
Collagen is a substance that plays a role in the formation of bones, cartilage and skin. It’s essential for both our health and the health of other animals because we all have and need it.
It’s normal that your collagen levels reduce as time passes. Sometimes, it results in problems with bones, wrinkles and creaky joints.
1. It helps the body make most of exercise
The first benefit of taking it every day is that a sufficient amount of collagen helps muscle formation.
This means that:
- You’ll require less exercise to improve your muscle tone and burn fat.
- Your body will recover much faster after strenuous workout sessions.
- You’ll have less chances of suffering from injuries because your muscles will be stronger and more resistant.
Of course, you’ll also need to consume high-quality proteins, such as lean meats and fish. You shouldn’t stop exercising altogether just because you’re consuming collagen.
2. It prevents scarring
We’re sure you’ve noticed that many of the cosmetic products that promise to eliminate scars boast their high collagen content. This is because collagen aids in healing and creating new cells without damaging skin tissues.
If you’re prone to have acne or similar problems, you should include collagen and collagen-rich foods in your everyday diet. You can also apply some masks to lessen the appearance of scars and stretchmarks.
3. It improves joint health
Another reason to take collagen is that it maintains flexibility and lubrication in joints. In addition, the substance keeps cartilage in sharp shape.
- When your joints are healthy, they’re more elastic and flexible. As a result, you suffer less injuries.
- If you notice that your joints are always cracking, or that you feel pain or suffer fractures frequently, take a collagen supplement regularly.
In certain situations, doctors recommend injecting new cartilage. If that’s relevant in your case, accompany the treatment with sufficient collagen consumption every day.
4. It maintains skin’s elasticity
By exposing yourself to certain factors such as tobacco smoke, UV rays, pollution and chemicals, it’s also important to always take the necessary precautions.
5. It helps you stay full for longer after eating less
If you’re trying to lose weight naturally without putting your health at risk, you should know that collagen powder offers high-protein content.
When you add it to your favorite smoothies or drinks, you’ll find that it doesn’t change the flavor at all. It does, however, keep you fuller for longer.
Try out the recipe below as a breakfast option:
- 2 tablespoons of collagen powder (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of oats (15 g)
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder (15 g)
- ½ cup of baby spinach (30 g)
- 1 cup of almond milk (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- Blend all of the ingredients together and drink immediately after.
This blend makes for a great option if missing sweet foods makes dieting hard for you.
It’s also perfect if your child refuses to have vegetables for breakfast, or anything that’s not chocolate milk for that matter.
6. It prevents cardiovascular diseases
Another benefit of taking collagen daily is that it helps the elasticity of the valves in blood and lymphatic vessels. This means that it makes it easier to clean the body and reduces the risk of suffering from low blood pressure
Remember that in addition to including collagen in your diet, you need to monitor how you eat and avoid harmful fats.
Visit this article: How to Stimulate Your Body’s Natural Collagen Production
7. Taking collagen daily helps visual health
When you consume collagen, the health of your cornea can improve considerably.
That’s why we recommend collagen for you if you need to use glasses or if your ophthalmologist has detected signs of glaucoma.
Also, remember to eat foods that improve sight (like carrots) as well as to protect your vision from UV rays and pollution.
How can you take collagen daily?
The best option for taking collagen is always through your diet. Keep in mind that they should be as natural as possible.
Some of these foods are the following:
- Green vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, spinach, lettuce)
Other ways to take collagen include its powdered, capsule or pill forms. Though they might not be the best option, they’re helpful if you know that your diet is collagen deficient or if it has been that way at some time.
You should make an appointment with your nutritionist or doctor to learn about the supplement and dosage.