6 Remedies to Treat Thick Yellow Nails
What are the causes of thick yellow nails? In practice, it can be due to external or internal causes. In any case, the good news is that there’s an effective treatment!
Different causes can lead to thick yellow nails. In any case, the aesthetic effect can be quite annoying. And it isn’t a matter of painting them to hide the coloration as sometimes nail polish itself is the cause. Below, you’ll discover six treatments that will allow you to enjoy healthy nails again.
Do you have thick yellow nails?
In principle, you should evaluate several factors. Starting with the internal causes, we can mention liver inflammation, such as that caused by hepatitis. On the other hand, the low availability of vitamins A and B causes a yellowish shade on the nails.
As for external reasons, the most common is tobacco use, since holding cigarettes in your hands stains your fingers and nails with nicotine. In these cases, the most affected fingers are the index and ring fingers of the hand you use to smoke.
Another cause of thick yellow nails is the continued use of nail polish or false nails. Among other reasons, the nails lose oxygenation due to the fact that they’re constantly covered, damaging the keratin and preventing cell regeneration.
The chemical components of nail polishes can include toluene, ethyl acetate, or butyl acetate, which are ultimately toxic to the skin and nails.
Also, you may notice thick yellow nails if you have a fungal infection under the nails that’s weakening the keratin. Other internal causes are psoriasis, diabetes, or natural aging.
For more information: Natural Remedies for Yellow Nails
Remedies against thick yellow nails
When the cause of your irregular nail tonality is internal, that is, due to a lack of vitamins, liver inflammation, or a disease such as psoriasis, then treatment will depend on medical follow-up. However, the remedies we describe below may prove helpful.
- Lemon juice. Lemon is one of the typical home remedies to improve fingernails and toenails. The citric acid it contains is perfect not only to exfoliate the surface of your nails, but also to fight fungi. Thus, it’ll be useful whether the cause of the yellowing is internal or external.
- To use it, soak your nails in lemon juice for about five to ten minutes. Then, rinse your hands with soap and water. You should repeat this treatment every day until the yellowing disappears.
This article may interest you: Home Remedies for Fungal Nail Infection
Other effective natural treatments for thick yellow nails
- Lemon essential oil. Another way to use lemon is through its essential oil, which you can find in stores that sell natural products. In this case, the benefit is twofold since, in addition to cleaning your nails, it hydrates the cuticles.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Another very easy method is to apply hydrogen peroxide, especially if you have a fungal infection in your nails. Simply apply a few drops to each nail for one to two weeks. This treatment works best if you exfoliate your nails every two to three days.
- Effervescent cleanser tablets for dentures. Just as they’re useful to whiten dentures, they can help you with your thick yellow nails. Soak your fingers in a container with this product and let it act for the time indicated on the box.
- Baking soda. Another inexpensive recipe to whiten your nails is to make a paste with this ingredient and water. With a brush, apply and rub it on each nail, let it act for a few minutes, and gently exfoliate. If you do this frequently, the yellow spots will soon disappear!
- Finally, olive oil, baking soda, and lemon. An infallible combination to whiten and strengthen your nails and make your nails softer, all in one. The only thing you need to do is to make a paste with the three ingredients, apply it, rub it in, and let it act.
Finally, you must remember that, although these remedies to get rid of thick yellow nails are very effective, you must first find out the cause of this phenomenon. To do this, all you have to do is to go and see a dermatologist, who can advise you in case of a lack of vitamins or any other disease.