6 Reasons Why You’re not Losing that Belly Fat
Believe it or not, drinking diet soda – which is far from helping you lose weight – can actually increase the amount of fat you have around the belly and make your waist bigger overall.
So you might ask: how should one go about losing that belly fat once and for all? You’ve probably already tried everything you can think of and done dozens of diets, exercised until you’re exhausted and drunk plenty of water… and yet, your waist is still the same size.
Why is this happening to you? Why, in spite of your greatest efforts, are you not losing that belly fat? In today’s article we’ll explain the cause of this frustration and give you a few tips that will help you make some progress.
1. You’re obsessing over eliminating all fat from your dietWhen it comes to losing weight, you might feel like you have to draw a hard line and completely eliminate the temptation to eat fatty foods. But do you really think that’s good for you? Is it going to work if you get rid of every single food that contains fat? No. You’re mistaken, and we’ll explain why.
- Some fats are healthy and even necessary for the proper function of your body, for example, monounsaturated fatty acids.
- But what people usually end up doing is replacing fats with carbohydrates, and in the long run this doesn’t help them lose abdominal fat at all.
- To reduce body weight, you still need an adequate supply of fatty acids or the so-called “healthy fats,” which are found in avocados, olive oil, and nuts, for example. Eating them every day will indeed help you lose weight, and also… they’re very satisfying!
2. Your state of mindHow do you feel when you’re on a weight loss diet? Be honest! Usually, you probably experience everything from anxiety to sadness. You find yourself in emotional turmoil, where your desire to improve your physique and appearance gets combined with normal daily stress, and you might abuse your diet and even skip meals from time to time. At the very least, you’ve probably lost the ability to occasionally indulge yourself in the things that satisfy you the most.
In a study at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, researchers found that it’s common for women who feel sad or suffer from depression to have a significantly higher amount of abdominal fat than women who weren’t feeling as low.
So remember: taking care of your emotional state of being is just as important as watching what you eat.
3. Have you checked your magnesium levels lately?We’ve talked about the importance of magnesium a lot in this blog, but were you also aware that this mineral plays an essential role in helping you lose weight?
- Magnesium helps balance the body’s levels of blood sugar and insulin.
- As you probably already know, you can find magnesium in sources like almonds and other nuts, vegetables, and whole grains. You can also take supplements that are sold in pharmacies and health food stores, if you choose.
4. Do you drink diet sodas?This is a trap that so many people fall into. When you’re following a weight loss diet, instead of cutting out soft drinks altogether you might choose the “diet” sodas instead. But did you know that all these do is increase that abdominal fat you’re trying so hard to lose?
Remember: if you’re trying to lose weight and target the waistline, stop drinking sodas and never make the mistake of choosing the diet option. These only make your belly look even bigger!
5. Are you over 50 and not exercising?Once you turn 50, your metabolism has changed a lot and it’s no longer easy to lose weight, even if you control everything you eat. It’s important to combine a healthy diet with a daily exercise routine, but remember that you need to be doing aerobic exercises – that is, exercises that accelerate your heart rate and breathing.
This type of exercise helps reduce fat that stored in the abdomen because the body will use it as an energy source for fuel. So don’t hold back: go for a walk, a jog, biking, even dancing!
6. Do you eat enough “colorful” foods?It might surprise you to learn that you need to choose foods that are “colorful” to round out a weight loss diet. What do we mean by that word? A recent study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that people who consumed foods that are red, orange, and yellow on a daily basis had more weight loss and lower amounts of abdominal fat than those who didn’t.
Want to know what kinds of foods we’re talking about? Here’s a short list:
- Red peppers
- Red grapes
Get motivated today to continue your weight loss program in the right way. Losing belly fat is possible as long as you focus on staying motivated and healthy, and stop neglecting your emotions.
Remember also that having extra fat around the abdomen is very dangerous to your health, and is a major risk factor for heart attacks.
Why not start today to implement these simple tips?