Activated charcoal is a plant-based product. It has a surface that’s made up of tiny pores that act like filters that trap compounds in gases and liquids.
It’s processed at high temperatures, which is what reduces the size of the pores and turns into a black powder that’s often used medicinally.
For years, it has been categorized as a “natural antidote.” After all, it supports your body’s detoxification processes by absorbing harmful chemical particles, metal residue, and toxins that tend to travel through your blood stream.
It even has the ability to neutralize different kinds of poisons. As if that weren’t enough, it acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
That’s why we’d like to share 6 of its main uses and why you should add it to your first aid kit.
1. It fights inflammation and stomach gases
Consuming activated charcoal capsules is an alternative treatment for indigestion and gas. These are symptoms that are often produced after eating overly rich food.
It absorbs the particles that make digestion more difficult while preventing inflammation.
- Consume 500 mg before eating food that usually causes inflammation.
- Drink a glass or two of water with it to help the charcoal work better.
“Take a look at this, too: 6 Natural Remedies to Relieve Gas and Bloating”
2. It helps detox your digestive system
You probably don’t think about it very often. However, your digestive system is exposed to significant amounts of toxins, whether from pesticides in the food you eat, chemicals in the water you drink, or even mold.
These particles build up in your system. Over time, they end up triggering health issues.
- Consuming 10 grams of activated charcoal 90 minutes before each meal can help detox your digestive system.
- This treatment should be done for 2 days along with eating plenty of organic fruit and vegetables.
3. It helps with hangovers
While it won’t absorb the alcohol that travels in your blood, it can help remove the toxins that accumulate when you drink too much.
That means that when you ingest activated charcoal, your metabolism is sped up and the toxins are removed from your body more easily.
- Ingest 500 mg of activated charcoal along with 2 or 3 cups of water.
4. It helps treat bug bites
Consuming activated charcoal capsules can be an antidote to dangerous insect bites. Meanwhile, using it externally can help with the inflammation in order to prevent marks and bumps on your skin.
It helps improve circulation in the affected area. It does this by absorbing toxins and harmful substances on the surface.
- Mix the contents of one capsule with half a tablespoon of coconut oil and smooth it over the bite.
- Cover the area with a bandage and repeat until healed.
“We recommend reading: Four Homemade Repellents to Keep Mosquitoes Away”
5. It encourages the detoxification of your liver and kidneys
Your liver and kidneys help filter waste from your blood and keep it from traveling to healthy cells in your body.
When both organs are overloaded, they are less able to do this purifying. As a result, toxic particles, waste, and other substances build up and affect your health.
Activated charcoal easily absorbs this waste. Plus, since it stimulates the kidneys and liver, it encourages a natural detoxification.
- Mix half a teaspoon of activated charcoal powder into a glass of water.
- If possible, consume 3 times a day.
6. It fights bacterial and viral infections
Moderate consumption of activated charcoal is a way to strengthen your immune system. It improves its ability to respond to the threat of pathogenic agents like bacteria and viruses.
This is due to its ability to combine with waste products in your blood. Thus, it improves its ability to maintain proper levels of antibodies.
- If you have an infection, whether respiratory or urinary, consume 500 mg of the product along with 2 cups of water.
Did you know about these uses of activated charcoal? Do you still not have it on hand? Now that you know how good it is for your health, find it at your pharmacy or natural food store and start using it as an alternative remedy.
That said, always drink plenty of water with it, since it can cause dehydration.