6 Tips for Naturally Sealing Split Ends
The ingredients in these remedies not only help repair damaged split ends, they also provide hair with extra moisture to revitalize it and help it grow strong and healthy.
There’s no magic formula for fixing split ends. However, cutting them off isn’t your only option. There are some treatments that improve their appearance by sealing moisture into the capillary threads, hydrating them and leaving them looking soft.
It’s important to keep in mind that there are all kinds of things that can damage hair. A poor diet, harsh chemical products, or too much heat from a curling iron can all make your hair look unhealthy. These are usually what causes split ends.
Whatever the case, make sure to reflect on your hair care and styling routine to see what might be causing the problem. That way you can try to change it before resorting to special treatment.
Once you fix the root problem, there are some natural treatments that you can use to revitalize your split ends. The results aren’t immediate, but you might notice a difference after several applications.
How to heal split ends
There are plenty of specialized products and methods to “fix” split ends. The results can be good, but some people prefer to go the natural route.
While there isn’t any evidence to back up their effectiveness, people have been sharing these methods for decades. Anecdotally, they seem to be effective for helping split ends. The other advantage is that the majority of the following methods are safe and don’t include irritating ingredients. Are you ready to try them?
1. Egg shampoo for sealing split ends
Applying eggs to your hair is one of the traditional remedies for split ends. Why? Because eggs contain protein and other ingredients that are great for hair, like vitamins A and E, biotin, and folates. Try this great homemade shampoo that also contains romero.
You might like: 3 Egg Remedies to Moisturize Dry Hair
- 3 tablespoons of fresh rosemary (30 grams)
- 1 egg
- 1 liter of water
- Start by adding the fresh rosemary to a liter of boiling water. Then, allow to steep.
- Once cold, strain and mix with the beaten egg.
- When it’s done, apply it like a normal shampoo and store the remaining mixture in the fridge.
- Later on, remember to use throughout the rest of the week.
2. Papaya mask
In this mask, we combine papaya, plain yogurt, and almond oil. The result? A moisturizing treatment that will probably help improve the appearance of split ends after a few applications.
- 1 slice of papaya
- 1/4 c. plain yogurt (50 grams)
- 1 Tbsp. almond oil (15 grams)
- A shower cap
- First, use a fork to crush the papaya slice and then mix with the plain yogurt and almond oil.
- Once mixed into a thick cream, apply to all of the damaged split ends and the rest of your hair.
- When you have coated all your ends, cover with the shower cap and allow to act for one hour.
- Finally, wash your hair and repeat three times a week.
3. Avocado and egg cream
According to a report in the Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition magazine, avocados are rich in vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as potassium, magnesium, sodium, fatty acids, and proteins. Consequently, it’s not surprising that avocado is good for your hair. In this treatment, its benefits are enhanced with the healing properties of egg and olive oil.
- One whole avocado
- An egg white
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (14 grams)
- First, spoon out the flesh from a ripe avocado, then blend it into a thick puree.
- Then, add the egg white and the tablespoon of olive oil.
- Rub it into your hair and let it sit for 30 or 40 minutes, then rinse.
- Use every day or at least three times a week.
4. Beer tonic
A combination of beer with apple cider vinegar can help revitalize your hair. If you use it consistently, it could improve the appearance fo your split ends. Try to avoid applying it to your scalp, however, especially if you have a sensitive head.
- 1/4 c. beer
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Start by mixing the apple cider vinegar with the beer
- Apply it to your hair starting in the middle and going down to the ends.
- Finally, allow the mixture to sit for 40 minutes, then rinse with shampoo.
- Later on, you can use this mixture once or twice a week.
Read more: Rinse Your Hair with Apple Cider Vinegar
5. Olive oil and vinegar conditioner to heal split ends
You can make conditioners at home with moisturizing ingredients. This one combines olive oil with apple cider vinegar. Are you ready to try it?
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (28 grams)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (10 grams)
- Start by mixing the two ingredients and heat them up a bit. Don’t go beyond a temperature that your hair can withstand.
- Then, apply the product to the split ends and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Finally, rinse with your normal shampoo.
- Later on, repeat every day.
6. Argan oil
This oil, also known as “liquid gold” because it’s so rich in nutrients, has a lot to offer your hair. Argan oil contains vitamin E, fatty acids, and polyphenols, all of which protect hair against dryness.
Thus, applying argan oil on a regular basis can help retain moisture, reduce frizz, and prevent split ends.
- 2 Tbsp. Argan oil (30 grams)
- Plastic wrap
- Start by massaging the tips of your hair with a bit of argan oil.
- Then, wrap them in plastic wrap.
- Finally, allow to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Later on, use three times a week for best results.
While you won’t be able to heal your split ends overnight with these natural remedies, you can hydrate your hair and improve its appearance. So, whatever treatment you choose, make sure to use it regularly.