6 All Natural Remedies to Eliminate Nail Fungus
To put an end to fungi, it's really important to use ingredients that affect their methods of reproduction, making it more difficult for them to multiply. Treatment must be applied daily until they’re gone.
Onychomycosis is the scientific name for the condition caused by nail fungus (a fungal infection in the nails). This condition affects nails that are damaged or frequently exposed to wet environments.
Candida is one of the most common types of fungi to infect nails, causing discoloration that can range from black to green and yellow and an increase in nail thickness.
In its milder form, it’s relatively common for the problem to go unnoticed due to a lack of symptoms. However, the infection can advance and cause pain and deformity, to the point of even losing the nail.
Luckily, there are some natural solutions that will help you accelerate the healing process and improve the nails’ appearance.
This time, we’d like to share 6 simple remedies that you can apply whenever you need them. Try them out today!
1. Apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide
The combination of apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful antifungal remedy to eliminate nail fungus in the hands and feet.
You can enhance its properties if you combine it with 90% rubbing alcohol, an antibiotic and antiseptic agent that fights thousands of different types of germs.
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide
- 2 tablespoons of 90% rubbing alcohol
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass container, stir, and let sit for a few hours.
- After that time, soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the nails several times a day.
- Repeat this treatment daily and you’ll see results in no time.
2. Garlic for nail fungus
Garlic is one of the most effective natural antimicrobials that you can use to treat nail fungus. While you can apply it directly, you can take advantage of its healing properties by using it in a foot bath.
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups of water
- Crush the 10 garlic cloves and combine them with the water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil and let brew for 3 to 5 minutes. Then, remove from heat.
- When the water cools down to a comfortable temperature, soak your feet for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times a week.
3. Natural yogurt
Natural yogurt contains active bacterial cultures that alter the environment that the fungi need to survive.
- ½ cup of natural yogurt
- 1 paintbrush
- Using a clean paintbrush, apply a generous amount of natural yogurt to the affected nails.
- Let dry and wipe clean with a moist cloth.
- Repeat this remedy every day, up to three times per day.
Remember that you can also add yogurt to your diet. Its probiotics reinforce the body’s defenses and prevent other types of fungal infections.
4. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is widely used in the treatment of external fungal infections. Its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties slow the growth of fungi and improve nail health.
- 3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 1 cotton ball
- Apply the drops of tea tree essential oil to the affected nail and spread evenly with the help of a cotton ball.
- Try to find 100% pure oil to see results within a few days.
- Use until the nail is healed.
5. Vicks VapoRub
Vicks VapoRub is an ointment that’s used to treat the symptoms of respiratory ailments. What many people don’t know is that its antimicrobial properties help heal nails infected by fungi.
- Vicks VapoRub
- 1 bandage
- Apply the Vicks VapoRub to the affected nail and cover with a bandage.
- Every six hours, apply fresh VapoRub and cover again.
- Repeat until you see results.
You should read: 10 Amazing Uses for Vicks VapoRub
In addition to its culinary uses, salt has antifungal properties that you can take advantage of to heal nail fungus.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 5 drops of lemon juice
- Moisten the salt with a few drops of lemon juice and apply directly to the affected nail.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Repeat daily.
These simple home remedies inhibit the growth of nail fungus. However, you should keep in mind that it will take a while to see results and that you’ll only see them if you use these remedies consistently.