6 All Natural Remedies to Eliminate Nail Fungus
The most common cause of fungal nail infections is Candida albicans, a pathogenic yeast, that produces a very common infection called mycosis.
Not all fungal nail infections are caused by Candida. Onychomycosis, for example, is caused by the dermatophyte Trichophyton rubrum.
The factors that put you at risk for fungal nail infections are an injury, overexposure to moisture, and bad hygiene. When you combine these three factors, your condition will be more bothersome.
What do fungal infections do to your nails?
When Candida yeast proliferates in your nails, it can cause several different problems. It can increase nail thickness, which causes pain even if you aren’t wearing shoes. If left untreated, the fungal infection can lead to loss of the nail.
Fungal infections can also cause your nails to change color. They can look yellow, green, blue, even black. The color depends on each individual case.
6 remedies for fungal nail infections
In addition to doctor-prescribed treatment, you can try some home remedies to get rid of your infection. Most of these remedies use simple ingredients that you probably have at home.
Remember that you shouldn’t use these remedies simultaneously, or apply them only once. For a natural remedy to work, you have to use it for a while and wait for the problem to abate.
1. Apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide
The combination of apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful antifungal remedy to eliminate nail fungus in the hands and feet.
You can enhance its properties if you combine it with 90% rubbing alcohol, an antibiotic and antiseptic agent that fights thousands of different types of germs. To make it, follow these directions:
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide
- 2 tablespoons of 90% rubbing alcohol
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass container, stir, and let sit for a few hours.
- After that time, soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the nails several times a day.
- Repeat this treatment daily and you’ll see results in no time.
- Don’t reuse the cotton ball or dip it into the solution more than once.
2. Garlic for nail fungus
Garlic is one of the most effective natural antimicrobials that you can use to treat nail fungus. While you can apply it directly, you can take advantage of its healing properties by using it in a foot bath.
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups of water
- Crush the 10 garlic cloves and combine them with the water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil and let brew for 3 to 5 minutes. Then, remove from heat.
- When the water cools down to a comfortable temperature, soak your feet for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times a week.
3. Natural yogurt
Natural yogurt contains active bacterial cultures that alter the environment that the fungi need to survive.
- ½ cup of natural yogurt
- 1 paintbrush
- Using a clean paintbrush, apply a generous amount of natural yogurt to the affected nails.
- Let dry and wipe clean with a moist cloth.
- Repeat this remedy every day, up to three times per day.
Remember that you can also add yogurt to your diet. Its probiotics reinforce the body’s defenses and prevent other types of fungal infections.
4. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is widely used in the treatment of external fungal infections. Its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties slow the growth of fungi and improve nail health.
- 3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 1 cotton ball
- Apply the drops of tea tree essential oil to the affected nail and spread evenly with the help of a cotton ball.
- Try to find 100% pure oil to see results within a few days.
- Apply it every day, after every shower or bath, until the nail is fully healed.
5. Vicks VapoRub
Vicks VapoRub is an ointment that’s used to treat the symptoms of respiratory ailments. What many people don’t know is that its antimicrobial properties help heal nails infected by fungi.
- Vicks VapoRub
- 1 bandage
- Apply the Vicks VapoRub to the affected nail and cover with a bandage.
- Every six hours, apply fresh VapoRub and cover again.
- Repeat until you see results.
You should read: 10 Amazing Uses for Vicks VapoRub
In addition to its culinary uses, salt has antifungal properties that you can take advantage of to heal nail fungus.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 5 drops of lemon juice
- Moisten the salt with a few drops of lemon juice and apply directly to the affected nail.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Repeat daily.
These simple home remedies inhibit the growth of nail fungus. However, you should keep in mind that it will take a while to see results and that you’ll only see them if you use these remedies consistently. They should never replace a doctor-prescribed treatment.
Consistent treatment and good hygiene at every step will make all the difference, so it’s import to be meticulous.