6 All Natural Remedies to Eliminate Nail Fungus
Onychomychosis, the scientific name for the condition caused by a fungal infection in the nails, is a condition that affects nails that are damaged or frequently exposed to wet environments.
Candida is one of the most common types of fungi to infect nails, causing discoloration that can range from black to green or the classic yellow and an increase in nail thickness.
In its milder form, it’s relatively common for the problem to go unnoticed due to the lack of symptoms. However, the infection can advance and cause pain, deformity and even loss of the nail.
Luckily, there are a few natural solutions that will help you accelerate the healing process and improve the nails’ appearance.
This time we’d like to share 6 simple remedies that you can apply whenever the need arises. Try it today!
1. Apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide
The combination of apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide makes for a powerful antifungal remedy to eliminate fungus from the nails of the hands and feet.
Its properties are further enhanced by combining it with 90% rubbing alcohol, an antibiotic and antiseptic agent that fights thousands of different types of germs.
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup hydrogen peroxide
- 2 tablespoon rubbing alcohol (90% concentration)
- Combine all the ingredients in a glass container, stir and let sit for a few hours.
- After the required amount of time, soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to the nails several times a day.
- Repeat this treatment daily and you’ll notice results in no time.
2. Garlic for nail fungus
Garlic is one of the most effective natural antimicrobials that you can use to treat nail fungus.
While it can be applied directly, you can take advantage of its healing properties by using it in a foot bath.
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups water
- Crush the 10 cloves of garlic and combine them with the water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and let brew for 3 to 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- When the water cools to a comfortable temperature, soak your feet in the water for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times a week.
3. Natural yogurt
Natural yogurt contains active bacterial cultures that alter the environment that the fungus needs to survive.
- ½ cup natural yogurt
- 1 paintbrush
- Using a clean paintbrush, apply a generous amount of natural yogurt to the affected nails.
- Let dry and wipe clean with a moist cloth.
- Repeat this remedy every day, up to three times per day.
Remember that you can also add yogurt to your diet. Its probiotics reinforce the body’s defenses and prevent other types of fungal infections.
4. Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is widely used in the treatment of external fungal infections.
Its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties slow the growth of fungi and improve nail health.
- 3 drops tea tree essential oil
- 1 cotton ball
- Apply drops of tea tree essential oil to the affected nail and spread evenly with the help of a cotton ball.
- Try to find the 100% pure oil for results within a few days.
- Use until the nail is healed.
5. Vicks VapoRub
Vicks VapoRub is a ointment that’s used to treat the symptoms of respiratory ailments.
What many people don’t know is that its antimicrobial properties help heal nails infected by fungus.
- Vicks VapoRub
- 1 bandage
- Apply the Vicks VapoRub to the affected nail and cover with a bandage.
- Every six hours, apply fresh VapoRub and cover again.
- Repeat until you notice results.
You should read: 10 Amazing Uses for Vicks VapoRub
In addition to its culinary uses, salt possesses antifungal properties that you can take advantage of to heal your nail fungus.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 drops lemon juice
- Moisten the salt with a few drops of lemon juice and apply directly to the affected nail.
- Let work for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Repeat daily.
These simple home remedies inhibit the growth of fungi to prevent damage to the nails.
Keep in mind that it will take awhile to notice results and only if these remedies are used consistently.