6 Remedies That May Help Stop Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is no joke. The burning sensation and acidity may cause sleep disorders and snoring; it can cause asthma, dispepsia, bad breath, inflammation of the esophagus, ulcer formation, and in severe cases, even lead to esophagus cancer. Therefore, it’s very important to find ways to stop acid reflux from happening.
Changing your dietary habits in order to effectively stop acid reflux and its symptoms is fundamental.
You should limit your consumption of processed foods, as well as excess sugars, refined foods, caffeine, alcohol, or fats, among others. Instead of this, we recommend increasing your consumption of fruit, vegetables and whole grains, especially the kind that are rich in fiber.
If acid reflux affects you frequently and causes several of the mentioned problems, perhaps one of the following homemade remedies may help reduce or prevent that annoying burning sensation and other symptoms.
Aloe Vera juice to stop acid reflux
Aloe vera juice has many properties that boost your health in many ways. One of its benefits is its anti-inflammatory power, which can help reduce acid reflux symptoms. We recommend drinking at least 1/2 cup of aloe juice before meals. It’s important to keep in mind that this juice has a laxative effect.
Pure apple cider vinegar
Pure apple cider vinegar is another popular remedy to stop acid reflux. Simply dilute a tablespoon of pure apple cider vinegar in a large glass with water and drink it at your first reflux symptom.
Baking soda to stop acid reflux
Baking soda is a very affordable ingredient, recommended for regulating pH levels in the body. This benefit also makes it a great remedy to stop acid reflux. Just dilute a teaspoon of the product in a large glass of water.
Check out this article:
Licorice acts as a protective gel, because it creates a film in the stomach. It’s great for reducing and preventing the uncomfortable symptoms of acid reflux. We recommend consuming it as a tea or extract.
Ginger to stop acid reflux
Many studies have shown that ginger root has a gastro-protective effect because it blocks acid and suppresses the Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
To fight acid reflux problems, just make a tea with 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger and 1 cup of boiling water. Let it sit for 5 minutes and drink it before every meal.
Glutamine is an amino acid that may help treat gastrointestinal damages caused by H. pylori. Although the body produces it naturally, you can also get it through eating foods like beef, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy products, and some fruits and vegetables like parsley and spinach, among others.
Other tips to stop acid reflux
In addition to trying one of the natural remedies mentioned above, it’s very important to pay attention to a few key recommendations to fight and stop acid reflux:
- Spend enough time to eat well and chew your food properly, so there is no inflammation or stomach pressure.
- The last meal of the day should be light and you should eat it at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid irritating or acidic foods that can cause acid reflux.
- When you start to eat, avoid starting with those foods rich in starch. It’s best to start with vegetables or meat and leave potatoes or bread last.
- If you suffer from obesity, it’s very important to start looking for weight loss options, because many studies have found that obesity makes it difficult for the lower esophagus sphincter to stay closed, which is what causes acid reflux.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages, because they’re irritants and favor acid reflux.