Cramps, or muscle spasms, are a very common problem.
They involve an involuntary contraction of one or more muscles, and usually last for a few seconds or minutes. They almost always occur in your legs and rarely in other parts of your body.
In addition, they usually happen at night. Naturally, this interrupts your sleep due to the discomfort or pain they cause.
Cramps are caused by excessive physical activity, a loss of fluids and minerals, and aging. However, they can also happen if you stay in the same position for too long or make a strange movement.
Whichever is your case, cramps can be annoying. They can even affect your quality of life if you don’t give them the attention they deserve.
Fortunately, there are several natural home remedies that can help you treat nighttime leg cramps and prevent futher problems.
1. Beet apple smoothie
This beet apple smoothie is a nutritious drink with high amounts of essential minerals that are great for your muscles.
It’s recommended for athletes or people who do high-impact physical activity.
In addition, it’s also diuretic and anti-inflammatory. It controls leg cramps associated with fluid retention and circulatory problems.
Read this article, too: Why You Should Eat Beets
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 apple
- 1 beet
- 1/2 cup of water (100 ml)
- First, process all ingredients in a juicer and blend in a blender.
- Consume an hour or two before bed.
2. Gingko biloba tea
The diuretic and anti-inflammatory powers of ginkgo biloba tea make it a natural relaxing remedy for preventing and treating nighttime leg cramps.
- 3 tablespoons of ginkgo biloba (30 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- First, heat the water and once it reaches a full boil.
- Then, add the tablespoons of ginkgo biloba.
- Let it simmer for three minutes and remove from heat.
- Then, let sit until it reaches a drinkable temperature, strain, and enjoy.
- Have one or two cups a day.
3. Honey and apple cider vinegar drink
Unbalanced blood pH is a major influencing factor in recurring night leg cramps. It impedes proper distribution of minerals in addition to muscle oxygenation.
This honey and apple cider vinegar drink has alkaline substances that help balance your pH.
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (10 ml)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- Dilute the tablespoon of honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water.
- Consume one cup on an empty stomach, without any other food, and the other before bed.
4. Milk, honey, and lemon remedy
The combination of milk, honey, and lemon results in a soothing remedy to prevent night leg cramps.
It helps relax your muscles while helping you get a deep night’s sleep.
- 1 cup of milk (200 ml)
- A tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (5 ml)
- Heat the milk and add the tablespoon of honey and lemon juice.
- Let sit until it reaches a drinkable temperature and consume before going to bed.
5. Nettle tea
Nettle tea is a diuretic beverage that encourages the removal of retained fluids in your body.
Regular consumption relaxes your muscles, decreases inflammation, and prevents uncomfortable leg cramps.
- 2 tablespoons of dried nettle (20 g)
- 1 liter of water
What do I do?
- Add the dried nettle leaves to the liter of water and boil for five minutes.
- Let sit, strain, and consume up to three times a day.
Check out this article too: How to Use Nettle To Handle Heavy Periods
6. Horse chestnut massage
Horse chestnut is very popular for its ability to improve circulation, relax your leg muscles, and reduce contraction.
Here, we’ll use its extract with a little oil to do a therapeutic massage.
- 5 drops of horse chestnut extract
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (16 g)
What do I do?
- Combine the two ingredients together and use to make gentle circular massaging movements on your legs.
- You can use it a a preventative method before bed or apply it at the first sign of pain.
Remember to accompany these remedies with a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, and regular exercise.