6 Home Remedies to Fight Nighttime Leg Cramps
Leg cramps, or muscle spasms, are a very common problem. They involve an involuntary contraction of one or more muscles, and usually last for a few seconds or minutes. Added to that, they usually happen at night and end up interrupting your sleep.
Cramps are caused by excessive physical activity, a loss of fluids and minerals, and aging. However, they can also happen if you stay in the same position for too long or make an awkward movement. Whichever is your case, cramps can be annoying. They can even affect your quality of life if you don’t give them the attention they deserve.
Fortunately, there are several natural home remedies that can help you treat nighttime leg cramps and prevent further problems.
1. Beet apple smoothie for leg cramps
This beet apple smoothie is a nutritious drink with high amounts of essential minerals that are great for your muscles. It’s recommended for athletes or people who do high-impact physical activity.
In addition, it’s also diuretic and anti-inflammatory. It helps leg cramps associated with fluid retention and circulatory problems.
Read this article, too: Why You Should Eat Beets
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 apple
- 1 beet
- 1/2 cup of water
- Firstly, process all ingredients in a juicer and blend in a blender.
- Then drink it an hour or two before you go to bed.
2. Gingko biloba tea
The diuretic and anti-inflammatory powers of ginkgo biloba tea make it a natural relaxing remedy for preventing and treating nighttime leg cramps.
- 3 tablespoons of ginkgo biloba
- 1 cup of water
- Firstly, heat the water and bring it to the boil.
- Then, add the tablespoons of ginkgo biloba.
- Let it simmer for three minutes and remove from heat.
- Then, let it sit until it reaches a drinkable temperature, strain, and enjoy.
- Have one or two cups a day.
3. Honey and apple cider vinegar drink
Unbalanced blood pH is a major influencing factor in recurring night leg cramps. It impedes proper distribution of minerals in addition to muscle oxygenation. This honey and apple cider vinegar drink has alkaline substances that help balance your pH.
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- Firstly, dilute the tablespoon of honey and apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water.
- Then consume one cup on an empty stomach, without any other food, and the other before bed.
4. Milk, honey, and lemon remedy
The combination of milk, honey, and lemon results in a soothing remedy to prevent nighttime leg cramps. It helps relax your muscles while also enabling you to get a deep night’s sleep.
- 1 cup of milk
- A tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Firstly, heat the milk and add the tablespoon of honey and lemon juice.
- Let it sit until it reaches a drinkable temperature and then drink it before going to bed.
5. Nettle tea
Nettle tea is a diuretic beverage that encourages the removal of retained fluids in your body. Because of this, regular consumption relaxes your muscles, decreases inflammation, and prevents uncomfortable leg cramps.
- 2 tablespoons of dried nettle
- 2 pints of water
What do I do?
- Firstly, add the dried nettle leaves to the 2 pints of water and boil for five minutes.
- Let it sit, strain, and then drink it up to three times a day.
Check out this article too: How to Use Nettle To Handle Heavy Periods
6. Horse chestnut massage
Horse chestnut is very popular for its ability to improve circulation, relax your leg muscles, and reduce contraction. Here, we’ll use its extract with a little oil to do a therapeutic massage.
- 5 drops of horse chestnut extract
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
What do I do?
- Firstly, combine the two ingredients together and then use it to make gentle circular massaging movements on your legs.
- You can use it as a preventative method before bedtime or apply it at the first sign of pain.
Remember to accompany these remedies with a healthy lifestyle, a balanced diet, and regular exercise.It might interest you...