6 Great Benefits of Beer That Will Surprise You
Beer is an alcoholic beverage made by the fermentation of cereals with yeast.
This well-known beverage can be traced all the way back from ancient Mesopotamia, 7,000 years ago. Nowadays, it’s used for leisure and fun, and it has some known benefits when consumed in moderation. Read this article to find out about the extraordinary health benefits of this ancient brew.
What is Beer?
The basic ingredients in beer are water, barley, and hops. However, currently there are many varieties based on other cereals and ingredients. This beverage is one of the healthier options to keep the body hydrated and obtain nutrients due to being low in alcohol.
Unlike carbonated drinks and sodas, beer is a traditional low calorie beverage that’s healthy because it doesn’t contain added sugars. However, it’s worth highlighting that you should only consume it in moderation or drink non-alcoholic beer instead.
Health Benefits of Beer
1. It Improves Your Cardiovascular Health
Beer, when drunk in moderation during meals, is an effective remedy for improving your cardiovascular health. It has a positive effect on cholesterol levels and can greatly affect your blood circulation and heart.
- This fermented drink also helps reduce hypertension, especially non-alcoholic beer.
- Plus, the belief that drinking it on a regular can cause you to gain fat around your belly turns out to be a suspicion without any scientific evidence backing it up.
2. It’s an Anti-oxidant
The essential oils from the hops and polyphenols in beer reduce the progressive oxidant degeneration of cells. This is the damage caused by free radicals which have a negative impact on your health and physical appearance.
- Therefore, drinking beer slows premature ageing and helps you feel younger and fresher.
- Likewise, oxidation is related to degenerative illnesses, so it can act as a remedy to prevent them.
3. It Can Prevent Osteoporosis
Its silicon content is a vital mineral that increases bone density and reduces the loss of bone mass. Therefore, moderate consumption of beer reduces the risk of fractures, improves healing, and prevents osteoporosis.
As a result, this drink is a great choice for women. Women are the most likely to have bone problems, especially during menopause. Its’ worth mentioning that the non-alcoholic beer also has these benefits.
4. It Strengthens the Immune System
Drinking it moderately improves your immune system’s response against micro-organisms that cause infections. Therefore, you can prevent some illnesses with this simple and enjoyable beverage.
- Drinking 330 ml daily for women, and 660 ml for men, will help increase lymphocyte T cells levels.
- These are responsible for getting rid of pathogens that cause infections and bacterial diseases.
5. During Pregnancy?
First of all, it’s important to point out that pregnant women should not drink alcohol. Therefore, we’re only referring to non-alcoholic beer in this section. This beverage may surprise you with its hydrating capacity and nutritional value. This beverage helps replace fluids in the body that provide a great amounts of nutrients.
For example, it contains a lot of folic acid, which is really important during pregnancy. Plus, it contains other group B vitamins and minerals such as magnesium and calcium.
6. Beer in Your Hair?
This benefit has nothing to do with drinking beer but applying it to your hair. Due to possessing minerals and group B vitamins (particularly biotin), it’s an excellent hair conditioner.
If you apply it to your hair after shampooing it, right before your final rinse, you’ll get the following benefits:
- More nourished scalp.
- More shine.
- Less frizz.
- More volume.