Neck pain, also known as cervicalgia, is an uncomfortable symptom that tends to be produced by the muscular contraction in this area of the body.
It starts with a strong sensation of tension and stiffness, which often makes normal head movements difficult when doing daily tasks.
It’s normal for those who live a sedentary lifestyle, but it can also occur among those who work a desk job or those who do physical activity that requires a lot of force.
While it isn’t serious and usually comes about sporadically, it’s essential that you identify the causes of neck pain so that you can combat it and avoid other complications.
Keeping in mind that many people don’t know the habits that can influence its appearance, we want to continue by sharing the 6 main ones.
1. Spending a lot of time in front of the computer
Do you suffer from neck pain when you spend a lot of time in front of the computer? If so, you should keep in mind that the posture your body takes while performing this activity can be responsible for this symptom.
This is because the muscles in the area get tired and tense up, especially when you stay in the same position for a prolonged period of time.
- Keep good posture while sitting and, in addition to this, take periodic breaks to stretch.
- Elevate your computer screen to a height that doesn’t require you to bend your neck.
2. Using mobile devices incorrectly
One of the reasons that the number of patients with neck issues has increased is due to the extended and incorrect use of mobile devices.
These devices, including phones and tables, cause us to adapt inadequate posture for long periods of time.
As a result of this, the neck muscles tense and are more susceptible to injury.
- Limit the use of these devices as much as possible.
- If you cannot disconnect yourself, make sure that you’re using them correctly, without hunching your body too much.
- Do strengthening exercises to reduce tension.
3. Having bad posture while sleeping
Good, quality sleep allows us to relax our muscles to prepare ourselves for a new day.
However, if we have poor body posture while sleeping, it’s very probable that you will increase neck and back pain.
- Keep in mind that, to get rid of these issues, your neck should stay aligned with your spinal cord, regardless of if you sleep on your side or facing up.
- Your head shouldn’t be too elevated because this increases the probability of injury in this area.
4. Putting too much weight in your backpack or purse
Be careful! Even though packing your backpack and purse is a daily thing, doing it incorrectly can be one of the causes of neck pain.
Carrying them poorly, or adding too much weight to them, can bother the muscles in this area.
- Avoid packing your bags with too much weight, especially if you have to carry it for an extended period of time.
- Don’t carry your backpack on just one side of your body.
- They should not weigh more than 10% of your body weight, especially for children.
The toxins in cigarettes don’t just negatively impact your pulmonary and cardiovascular health, but also, with time, interfere with your muscular health.
They impede the oxygenation of your muscles and increase dehydration and muscle pain.
Their accumulation in the body can deteriorate the disks in your back and body. This increases your risk of a herniated disk, neck stiffness and muscular and articular debility.
- Try to quit your smoking habit as soon as possible.
- Use detoxification methods to help eliminate the toxins that have accumulated in the body.
- Avoid exposing yourself to environments contaminated by cigarette smoke.
6. Doing ab exercises incorrectly
We can’t deny that abdominal exercises have a lot of benefits for our body. However, if you do them incorrectly, they can be a cause of neck and back pain.
Even though at first you may not notice it, the muscles that surround the neck can be bothered by putting force on this area.
- Center the physical force on your abdominals and not on your neck.
- Keep your gaze upwards. Keep space between your chin and your chest.
Do you have constant neck pain? If so, it’s possible that one of these daily habits is influencing its appearance.
Try to take the necessary measure to reduce it and, in addition to that, try to exercise in order to strengthen and support this area.