6 Brilliant Ideas for a Mini Garden
When it comes to creating your own mini-garden, you need to bear in mind how much space you have and what plants work best in this kind of setting.
A mini garden is a small space you can use to grow plants, and thus get all the benefits of nature without needing a large garden.
In a world that’s becoming ever more concrete, and with a busy life full of demands, we now have a simple way to get back in touch with nature.
The Advantages of a Mini-garden
If you haven’t quite decided yet to create a mini-garden at home, here are a few advantages that you might want to consider:
- They don’t take up very much space. You don’t need an enormous park to create one.
- You can make it yourself.
- You’ll reconnect with nature and improve the flow of positive energy.
- It’ll help reduce stress because they’re very calming.
- It’ll help clear your mind, encouraging you to think about something else, and keep you at ease.
- You can give it personal touches and decorate it to fit in perfectly with the inside of your house.
- You can include aromatic plants and improve your home environment.
- It’s even possible to have a small orchard and harvest your own food.
- They’re really simple to maintain.
- You don’t need to invest a lot of money to make one.
Materials and instructions for making your very own mini-garden
Once you’ve decided to make your own mini-garden at home, you’ll need to make sure you have the following materials before you get started:
- A flower pot, grow box, or another container. It needs to be deep, so it can contain the roots. It should also have holes in the bottom to allow the water to drain out.
- Soil, sand, small stones, charcoal.
- Decorations. They can be whatever you want, bridges, small figurines, etc. They can be wooden, ceramic, or made out of small stones. It can look really pretty if you add some lights or small artificial ponds.
We also recommend the following vegetation:
- Moss. This is an ideal plant for a mini-garden because it’s compact structure means it can store moisture. This helps your plants stay green for longer.
- Plants. You need to choose the type of plant you want very carefully. They should preferably be small and grow slowly. It’s also best if they don’t need much sunlight if you’re going to keep them inside.
Before you begin this project, consider all this carefully.
Next, we’ll tell you how to create a beautiful mini-garden:
- First, fill your container a third full with sand or moss.
- Then, add the soil and carefully place the plants in the container. Try to leave plenty of space between them.
- Then, cover with soil, water, and decorate to your taste.
6 Brilliant ideas for a mini-garden
1. A Mini-garden in recycled tin cans
You can use tin cans from tinned food, or anything else for that matter, and paint them to your taste. Don’t forget to make some holes in the bottom.
If you like, you can put them in a line on a wall. Decorate them as you like and put them somewhere where you can easily admire them.
2. A mini-garden in a cup
Though you might not believe it, you can make a beautiful mini-garden in a cup.
- Remember to make some holes in the bottom for the water to drain out.
- Use small stones and plants that don’t need a lot of moisture, like a cactus.
3. You could use buckets
If they’re large, you can use buckets to house many plants and decorations.
If you have a number of buckets you can create beautiful compositions in different corners of your home, and even add some lighting.
Natural cork is the perfect material for plants, as it’s great at retaining moisture.
- Take a piece of cork, and with a knife or scalpel, make a hole big enough for a plant.
- Add some soil, then a small plant, top up with more soil, and decorate.
- Repeat this process with a number of corks. Then, tie a thread around them and hang them on the wall. You can also place them separately on a flat surface.
5. Plastic Bottles
Give your home a touch of originality with these recycled mini-gardens:
- First, wash the bottle well and lie it down on its side.
- With a cutter, make a horizontal cut, so that there’s enough room for your mini-garden, while still allowing the bottle to hold the soil.
- Make some small holes in the base and add soil, sand, small stones, or moss.
- Choose the plants you like for your recycled mini-garden: remember it’s best if they’re small.
- Finally, decorate to your taste.
6. Wooden crates
If you want a slightly larger mini-garden you can make use of wooden boxes, like the kind they use at the supermarket. Remember to put something on the sides so that the soil doesn’t escape.
- A larger box allows you to create a beautiful mini-garden since you’ll have more space. You can let your imagination run wild and create some amazing things.
- You could add a small plastic mould or bowl, painted blue, fill it with water and, hey presto, an artificial lake.
- Little walkways made of small stones look beautiful.
- It’s perfect for growing herbs or green vegetables for you to use in your kitchen.
Creating your own mini-garden can be exciting. Furthermore, doing it yourself will help you to reconnect with nature, and you might even discover a new hobby as well as decorating your home.
Give it a try, and let us know how it goes!