7 Natural Facial Treatments for Sunspots
Don´t forget to apply these remedies at night in order to avoid worsening the appearance of sunspots as the remedies using lemon can be counterproductive in the sun.
In this article, we will explain the best natural treatments to fix this facial problem.
What are sunspots and what causes them?
Sunspots are caused by an increase in melanin production.
When this pigment, which is responsible for giving skin its color, reaches high levels, it results in “spots” on the dermis (especially on the face).
Although this problem can effect everyone, it’s most common in women of child-bearing age and of darker complexion.
They mainly appear on the cheek, chin, forehead and upper-lip areas.
Some of the causes of sunspots are the following:
- Use of anti-contraceptive medication
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Stress or anxiety
- Genetic inheritance
- Certain medical or steroid treatments
- Complications in the thyroid gland
In some cases, the skin “goes back to normal” after giving birth, changing to a different the anti-contraceptive method, or reducing the hours of exposure to UV rays.
In others, it’s necessary to turn to treatment which can be natural or not.
You might also be interested in: 6 Reasons Why Your Period Is Irregular
Home Facial Treatments for Sunspots
Once we identify the cause of Melasma, it’s easier to choose the right treatment.
None of the following home remedies that we list have side-effects.
They are applied externally and replace creams or more invasive procedures.
1. Banana Mask
The banana, or plantain, contains lots of nutrients…even in the peel!
- A good way to improve facial health is to rub the inside part of the peel on your face after bathing.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes and wash off with plenty of warm water.
Another option is preparing a mask:
- It´s as easy as smashing the banana with a fork and applying it to your face.
- After 20 minutes, wash it off with water and apply a moisturizer.
2. Lemon and Cilantro Mask
The acid of this citric fruit is great for removing all kinds of skin blemishes. This is why it can be a great option for those of us with sunspots or Melasma.
Cilantro also reduces blemishes caused by this condition. Don’t forget to do this treatment at night, as lemon makes blemishes more obvious if it comes in contact with the sun.
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 handful of cilantro
- Juice the lemon and wash the cilantro.
- Stem the cilantro and place the cilantro leaves in the blender.
- Add the lemon juice and blend together.
- Apply to the affected zones on the face, previously washed and dried.
- Wash off with warm water after 15 minutes.
3. Eggplant Mask
There are different ways to take advantage of this vegetable for healthy skin. For example, you can make a mask.
- 1 eggplant
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- Wash the eggplant and cut into quarters.
- In a saucepan, add with water and cook until soft.
- Take it off the stove and extract the eggplant pulp to make the paste.
- When warm or cool, apply it to your face.
- Let it work for 15 minutes and wash off with the water used to cook the eggplant.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment
This element won’t be lacking in any home. In addition to being appropriate for treating wounds or accidents, it also helps to reduce the appearance of skin blemishes.
For that reason, we can also use it for sunspots. It’s very easy:
- Soak a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and apply it to your face before sleeping.
- Don’t wash it off.
- Repeat daily.
5. Grape Mask
This small fruit has a lot of antioxidants and nutrients that improve the health and appearance of the skin.
- 10 grapes
- ½ cup of water (125 ml)
- Wash the grapes and cut them in half, removing the seeds.
- Place them in the blender and add water.
- Blend until a paste forms.
- Wash your face with a neutral soap and apply the mask using circular movements.
- Let it work for 25 minutes and wash off with cool water.
6. Milk, Lemon and Honey Mask
To make this mask, it’s better to use powdered milk in order to get the right consistency.
Lemon removes blemishes, honey is a wonderful exfoliate, and milk hydrates the dermis— this is why they make for a fabulous combination.
- The juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of powered milk (20 g)
- 4 tablespoons of honey (100 g)
- Juice the lemon.
- Put the powdered milk in a bowl and add the juice.
- Add the honey and and mix until a paste forms.
- Apply to face and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off with plenty of water and apply a moisturizer.
Also visit: Diminish Wrinkles with These 5 Honey Masks
7. Carrot and Egg Mask
This is an excellent way to get the most of the nutrients found in eggs and the antioxidants in carrots. Repeat this treatment 3 times a week.
- 1 carrot
- 2 eggs
- Peel the carrot and cut into cubes.
- Put in blender along with the eggs.
- Blend well to form a honogenous paste.
- Apply to a clean face using circular movements.
- Leave on for half an hour and wash off with warm water.