7 Natural Facial Treatments for Sunspots
In this article, we will explain the best natural treatments to fix this facial problem.
What are sunspots and what causes them?
Sunspots are caused by an increase in melanin production.
When this pigment, which is responsible for giving skin its color, reaches high levels, it results in “spots” on the dermis (especially on the face).
Although this problem can effect everyone, it’s most common in women of child-bearing age and of darker complexion.
They mainly appear on the cheek, chin, forehead and upper-lip areas.
Some of the causes of sunspots are the following:
- Use of anti-contraceptive medication
- Excessive exposure to the sun
- Stress or anxiety
- Genetic inheritance
- Certain medical or steroid treatments
- Complications in the thyroid gland
In some cases, the skin “goes back to normal” after giving birth, changing to a different the anti-contraceptive method, or reducing the hours of exposure to UV rays.
In others, it’s necessary to turn to treatment which can be natural or not.
You might also be interested in: 6 Reasons Why Your Period Is Irregular
Home facial treatments for sunspots
Once we identify the cause of melasma, it’s easier to choose an appropriate treatment. It’s recommended to go first and consult your dermatologist before carrying out the following remedies.
Likewise, none of the homemade recipes indicated below have any side effects. In the same way, there’s very little scientific evidence about them that supports their supposed depigmenting properties.
They are applied externally and replace the most invasive creams or techniques.
1. Banana Mask
The banana, or plantain, contains lots of nutrients and is antimicrobial, even in the peel!
- A good way to improve facial health is to rub the inside part of the peel on your face after bathing.
- Let it dry for 15 minutes and wash off with plenty of warm water.
Another option is preparing a mask:
- It’s as easy as mashing the banana with a fork and applying it to your face.
- After 20 minutes, wash it off with water and apply a moisturizer.
2. Lemon and parsley mask
The acid of this citric fruit is a great anti-fungicide. This is why it can be a great option for those of us with sunspots.
Parsley is a great antioxidant. Don’t forget to do this treatment at night, as lemon makes blemishes more obvious if it comes in contact with the sun.
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Juice the lemon and wash the parsley.
- Stem the parsley and place the leaves in the blender.
- Add the lemon juice and blend together.
- Apply to the affected zones on the face, previously washed and dried.
- Wash off with warm water after 15 minutes.
3. Eggplant mask
There are different ways to take advantage of this vegetable for healthy skin. For example, you can make a mask.
- 1 eggplant
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- Wash the eggplant and cut into quarters.
- In a saucepan, add with water and cook until soft.
- Take it off the stove and extract the eggplant pulp to make the paste.
- When warm or cool, apply it to your face.
- Let it work for 15 minutes and wash off with the water used to cook the eggplant.
4. Hydrogen peroxide treatment
This element won’t be lacking in any home. In addition to being appropriate for treating wounds or accidents, it also helps to reduce the appearance of skin blemishes.
For that reason, we can also use it for sunspots. It’s very easy:
- Soak a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and apply it to your face before sleeping.
- Don’t wash it off.
- Repeat daily.
5. Grape Mask
This small fruit has a lot of antioxidants and nutrients that improve the health and appearance of the skin.
- 10 grapes
- ½ cup of water (125 ml)
- Wash the grapes and cut them in half, removing the seeds.
- Place them in the blender and add water.
- Blend until a paste forms.
- Wash your face with a neutral soap and apply the mask using circular movements.
- Let it work for 25 minutes and wash off with cool water.
6. Milk, lemon and honey mask
To make this mask, it’s better to use powdered milk in order to get the right consistency.
Honey mixed with milk is a great healer, and it will leave the skin feeling clean and hydrated.
- The juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of powered milk (20 g)
- 4 tablespoons of honey (100 g)
- Juice the lemon.
- Put the powdered milk in a bowl and add the juice.
- Add the honey and and mix until a paste forms.
- Apply to face and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off with plenty of water and apply a moisturizer.
Also visit: Diminish Wrinkles with These 5 Honey Masks
7. Carrot and egg mask
- 1 carrot
- 2 eggs
- Peel the carrot and cut into cubes.
- Put in blender along with the eggs.
- Blend well to form a smooth paste.
- Apply to a clean face using circular movements.
- Leave on for half an hour and wash off with warm water.
With these homemade treatments for sunspots, your skin will be feeling and looking better than ever. However, don’t forget to contact your dermatologist who will be able to diagnose your particular case more accurately.