Five Yoga Exercises For Weight Loss
Are you trying to lose weight but you're not yet doing any exercise? If you don't want to follow a gym routine, try these interesting yoga poses. Although it may be a bit difficult to get the hang of them to start with, little by little your flexibility and strength will increase.
Yoga exercises for weight loss have become one of the favorite options for people fighting excess weight. Although it’s also necessary to adopt other measures to get rid of those extra pounds, these exercises are very beneficial.
In fact, some people even prefer them to traditional physical exercise, because they enable you to burn fat and strengthen your muscles at the same time. They also improve your emotional well-being and help control the anxiety that can lead to overeating.
The best thing of all is that these exercises can be practiced anywhere, because they consist of a series of poses that don’t take much space and are easy to do.
Have you tried them yet? Today, we’re going to share 5 interesting options so that you can start practicing this discipline.
1. Camel pose
The camel pose, or Ustrasana, is a complete yoga exercise for slimming and toning. It’s recommended for dropping sizes round your waist, because it especially works on this area of the body.
How to do it
- Sit on your knees on your yoga mat, with your back straight. Make sure your knees are separated shoulder width apart.
- Put your weight on your toes so that your insteps lift off the mat.
- Then, stretch your arms forwards and lean your body back.
- Hold the position for 10 to 15 seconds, keeping your abdomen contracted.
- Return to the original position, breathing out slowly.
- Do between 3 and 6 repetitions.
2. Cobra pose
The cobra is a yoga pose that strengthens the muscles of the lower back and abdomen. It’s even recommended to firm up the buttocks and reduce the accumulation of fat in the hips.
How to do it
- Lie face down on your yoga mat, resting on your belly with your legs outstretched.
- Put your palms next to your chest and lift the upper part of your body.
- Bend backwards as far as you can and look upwards.
- Hold for 10 seconds and relax.
- Do between 5 and 8 repetitions.
3. Warrior pose
The warrior is a weight-loss yoga pose that, among other things, increases your lung capacity. By practicing it, you work all your abs muscles, your legs and your buttocks at once.
How to do it
- Stand upright on the ground and separate your legs.
- Turn your right leg to your right and keep your left leg at the front, creating 90-degree angle.
- Lift your hands towards the ceiling and stretch them as high as you can. Bring your palms together in prayer pose and look upwards.
- Breathe deeply, relax and repeat the exercise to the other side.
- Do between 10 and 12 repetitions.
4. Forward fold
This asana is one of the best yoga options for weight loss, especially when your goal is to fight abdominal fat. It’s very easy to do, although it does require a little bit of physical strength and flexibility.
How to do it
- Sit on the mat with your back straight and your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Exhale and bend your body forwards, trying to touch the tips of your toes with your hands.
- Try to take hold of your toes and rest your forehead on your shins or your knees.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds and then relax.
- Try to do 8 to 10 repetitions.
5. Bow pose
To complete this simple series of yoga exercises for weight loss, we want to recommend this classic bow pose. It’s an exercise in flexibility and concentration that helps burn fat and strengthen the buttocks. Plus, it also contributes greater stability to the spinal column and reduces back pain.
How to do it:
- Lie on your front on your mat and bend your legs up.
- Try to lift your legs from behind, to form an arc shape.
- Lift the upper part of your body and keep your gaze looking forwards.
- Then, stretch your arms back and try to take hold of your legs with your hands.
- Inhale and exhale deeply and hold for at least 10 seconds.
- Relax and do 5 repetitions.
Are you trying to lose weight but you’re not yet doing any exercise? If you don’t want to follow a gym routine, try these interesting yoga poses. Although it may be a bit difficult to get the hang of them to start with, little by little your flexibility and strength will increase.