5 Ways to Cure Canker Sores Quickly
Canker sores are small ulcers or lesions that develop in the mucus membrane of the mouth or gums. Some are painful but, in general, they don’t produce serious symptoms. In fact, most go away on their own within one or two weeks. But how can you cure canker sores faster? Keep reading to find out.
There are several natural remedies that contribute the accelerating the healing process, minimizing discomfort. However, on many occasions, their effectiveness is based solely on anecdotal evidence. Just the same, using them is safe and may offer relief.
Home remedies to cure canker sores quickly
Canker sores make up one of the most frequent oral problems among the population. They usually measure about 5 millimeters and are white in color, surrounded by a white border. Unlike oral herpes, canker sores are not contagious and usually go away quite easily. Below, we’ll share 5 options to help you cure canker sores quickly.
Don’t miss out: Treat and Prevent Canker Sores
It’s true that honey is one of the best natural ingredients for treating conditions that affect the health of our skin. According to a 2014 study, applying honey can reduce the pain, size, and redness of canker sores. They also protect the affected area from infection.
How to use honey to cure canker sores:
- Rub a small amount of honey on the affected area 3 or 4 times a day.
2. Coconut oil
Recognized for its multiple medicinal and cosmetic uses, coconut is another effective solution for curing canker sores. Its microbial properties help inhibit the action of bacteria and prevent cancer sores from becoming infected.
How to use coconut oil to cure canker sores:
- First, soak a cotton round in coconut oil
- Then, gently wipe the affected area
- Repeat 3 or 4 times per day until the sore heals
3. Hydrogen peroxide
The topical application of a solution with hydrogen peroxide can contribute to the healing of canker sores and disinfect the wound. What’s more, given its antiseptic power, it’s perfect for keeping bacteria from breeding in the affected area.
How to use hydrogen peroxide to heal canker sores:
- First, dilute a spoonful of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a spoonful of water
- Then, soak a cotton round in the mixture and apply it to the canker sore
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day
- If the wounds are internal, dilute a spoonful of hydrogen peroxide in half a glass of water. Then, swish the mixture around in your mouth for 2 minutes before spitting it out. Repeat 3 times a day.
Besides helping to cure cold sores quickly, chamomile can also accelerate relief from skin allergies and injuries. This plant contains azulene and levomenol, which give chamomile its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. And that’s exactly why it’s so effective against these problems.
How to use chamomile to cure canker sores:
- First, prepare a strong chamomile tea
- Then, soak clean gauze or a cotton round in the liquid
- Apply to the affected area and allow it to act for 5 minutes
- You also have the option of applying the soaked chamomile tea bag directly to the wound
- Repeat the treatment 2 or 4 times a day
5. Plain yogurt
Experts aren’t sure about the exact cause of canker sores. However, among the contributing factors are an H Pylori infection and inflammatory illnesses in the intestine. Therefore, consuming and applying natural yogurt can offer relief from this condition.
This product concentrates probiotics and live bacteria cultures that help combat H. Pylori. It also regulates skin pH and reduces the risk of infection.
How to use plain yogurt to cure canker sores:
- Eat one cup of yogurt per day
- You can also apply yogurt directly to the wound
- Let it rest without washing it off and repeat 3 times a day
When should you see a doctor?
In most cases, it’s possible to cure canker sores quickly without needing to seek medical attention. However, in other cases, these lesions can drag on and worsen. If that happens, then you should request a checkup to determine the cause.
Don’t hesitate to see your doctor if you experience the following:
- You have multiple canker sores
- You develop new canker sores before the previous ones have completely healed
- The ulcer doesn’t disappear within 2 weeks
- Your canker sores produce extreme pain
- The sores extend to your lips
- The pain keeps you from drinking or eating normally
- You have a moderately high fever
Have you noticed a canker sore in or around your mouth? Try out the natural remedies above. You’ll feel better and the sore will go away before you know it. However, if things don’t get better, be sure to check with your doctor.It might interest you...