5 Baking Soda Exfoliants to... Get Amazing Skin?
Baking soda has become a popular solution for eliminating terrible odors, disinfecting, whitening floors and other home surfaces, and even helps to drive pests away from your garden. But did you know that you can also exfoliate with baking soda?
As a product with anti-inflammatory properties, it may be a good option to clean your skin. However, you must be careful with it.
To get amazing skin, it’s best to use oats
Baking soda is believed to have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. This makes it an ideal ingredient for preparing various over-the-counter pharmacological treatments (creams) to relieve specific discomforts such as:
- Skin irritation.
- Insect bites.
- Mild rashes
At home, it’s often used to relieve the above discomforts and, also, to thoroughly cleanse the skin, especially when it has blackheads and similar imperfections.
However, baking soda isn’t a product many dermatologists recommend using often to exfoliate and care for the skin. Why?
Because it’s too alkaline and causes moisture loss that can lead to irritation, dryness, wrinkles, flaking, and other discomforts.
For this reason, although we recommend making exfoliants, homemade masks, and the like with baking soda, it’s best to do without it or use it in minimal quantities, after consulting a dermatologist.
Instead of baking soda, you could use rolled oats, which have a mild effect on the skin and adapt to different skin types. In addition, it has proven multiple skin benefits (anti-inflammatory, soothing, softening, etc.).
Remember that the fact that some cosmetic products contain baking soda in their formulas doesn’t mean that this ingredient can be used on its own to make recipes for treatments. In cosmetic products, it’s dosed along with the rest of the ingredients, it yields positive results.
Homemade exfoliants for amazing skin
Below, we share some homemade scrubs that you can make with other simple options that are much safer than baking soda.
1. Oats and water
- Rolled oats
- Mix both ingredients until you have a homogenous paste. You need to add more oats than water.
- You can use a mortar to make it as smooth as possible.
- Apply the paste to clean and dry skin using circular motions.
- Then, leave on for 25 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water until there’s no residue.
- Repeat every 20 days for amazing skin.
2. Oat flour and olive oil
Due to its anti-inflammatory effects, oatmeal helps to relieve redness, itching, swelling and the like. If you suffer from these discomforts, consider applying an exfoliating mask with oatmeal and olive oil.
- 1/2 cup of olive oil (50 g)
- Oat flour (necessary amount)
- Optional: one egg white
- Mix both ingredients in a bowl.
- With the help of a food processor, blend them until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- You’ll quickly get a creamy paste.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of oats over the flour and stir with a spoon.
- Apply to your clean face (especially in oily areas: forehead, nose, and chin).
- Gently massage your skin to exfoliate it.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
3. Oat milk and sugar
- Sugar or oat flour
- Oat milk
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar with the milk until you have a paste.
- Apply to your face, massing it in small circles until it is completely covered. Let it act for a few minutes.
- Rinse well with water.
4. Olive oil, sugar, and rolled oats
The mixture of rolled oats, olive oil, and a pinch of sugar is good for combination skin, as it not only exfoliates but also moisturizes and softens the skin. To make it, follow these steps.
- Olive oil
- Rolled oats
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Don’t add too much sugar. A little is enough.
- Then, add the water and mix until you have a paste.
- Apply by massaging it in circles to cover your entire face.
- Finally, rinse well with warm water.
Learn more about olive oil: 10 Surprising Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5. Milk and rolled oats with honey for amazing skin
- 1 glass of oat milk (250 ml).
- 6 tablespoons of rolled oats (60-70 g).
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g).
- Dilute the tablespoon of honey in the glass of oat milk.
- Add the rolled oats and mix very well until you get a paste.
- Apply to your face and wait 5 to 10 minutes.
- Clean with plenty of warm water and finish with cold water to close your pores.
Do you want to have amazing skin?
To improve the appearance of your skin and get amazing skin, it’s best to consult a dermatologist and follow their recommendations. Especially if you suffer from skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis and acne. This is because these conditions require control and a series of specific care.
Although baking soda is a popular remedy, it isn’t the safest or the most suitable for your skin in all cases. Thus, if you’re thinking of using it, check with your doctor first.It might interest you...