5 Tricks to Ripen Avocado in Minutes
Just like the tricks out there to ripen avocado in one day, some of these ones slightly change the original taste when speeding up the ripening process.
Avocados are one of the most delicious and healthy fruits around that can be easily incorporated into your regular diet.
Most people visually distinguish between two varieties, but there are actually an estimated 900 different varieties out there.
The most popular ones are the small Hass avocados, which are used in making guacamole, and the “giant” avocado, which is often used to garnish various types of dishes.
But generally speaking, most people prefer these two kinds because they have a soft, creamy texture, along with a very unique flavor that combines very well with other foods.
And from a nutritional point of view it is one of the most complete, energy-providing foods around. This is because of its essential fatty acids, proteins and antioxidant substances.
The one inconvenience about them is that a lot of the time it’s hard to know once they are ripe enough and ready to eat.
Most avocados are sold before they have yet reached their perfect state. That’s why it’s good to know a few ways to accelerate their ripening.
Below we are going to share with you how to ripen an avocado within a matter of minutes, along with other tricks to do so within a few days.
Don’t miss this!
How to ripen avocado in the microwave
It can take several days for an avocado to ripen through its normal process, depending on how prematurely it was harvested.
But if you need it ripe soon, try this microwave method that will soften your avocado within a matter of minutes.
Before starting, keep in mind that this technique could slightly change the natural flavor. But it will still be perfect for making guacamole, salads, smoothies, and other recipes.
- Use a fork to squeeze the sides of the avocado several times.
- Place it on a plate with a napkin or plastic lid on top to prevent it from exploding in the microwave.
- Heat it for 30 seconds, and if it still isn’t soft enough, add 30 seconds more.
- Wait for it to cool a bit, then cut it up as normal.
How to ripen avocado with aluminum foil
You can also use aluminum foil to ripen avocado in just a few minutes.
In this case you won’t be using the microwave, but rather placing it on a baking sheet to cook at 200 degrees C.
- Use a good amount of aluminum foil, making sure to completely cover the avocado.
- Place it on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Wait until it has completely cooled, then remove the paper and use.
How to ripen avocado with a paper bag
A paper lunch bag is great for accelerating avocado ripening, as it traps ethylene gases.
This method takes longer than the previous two, but it has the advantage of retaining the taste and all of the fruit’s properties.
- Place the avocado inside the paper bag, making sure there are no holes in it.
- Add an apple or tomato to it to increase the production of ethylene gases.
- Close the bag and keep at a temperature between 18 and 24 degrees C.
- Your avocado will be ready for consumption within a few days.
How to ripen avocado that’s been cut
If you had the bad luck of cutting into an avocado that still wasn’t ripe, don’t forget to use this interesting trick before the meat turns brown.
- Before wrapping it up, sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on the meat.
- Combine the two sections, leave the pit in, and wrap it in clear plastic wrap as if it were a whole avocado.
- Place in the refrigerator until it has reached the desired ripeness.
How to ripen avocado with newspaper
Even though this is one of the oldest techniques out there, it still continues to be used in several households.
- Wrap the unripe avocado in a sheet of newspaper and place in a warm area, like on the stove with the oven turned off.
- Let it set for a few days, or until you notice it softening.
Now you know how to ripen avocado when you bought it still unripe and want to eat it sooner.
Choose whichever method you prefer, and follow the instructions step by step for good results.