5 Tips for Shiny Hair
Beautiful hair can be short or long, thick or thin, but one aspect of all beautiful hair is shine. Having a shiny, soft head of hair makes you look healthy and vital.
In today’s article, we’ll share some of the key ways to nourish your hair and properly care for it, making it much shinier in just a few days.
Brushing daily for shiny hair
Maybe your grandmother once told you to brush your hair 100 times before going to bed.
Today, that piece of advice sounds like the beginning of a fairy tale, but this old adage contains a scientific fact: when you brush your hair repeatedly and gently it stimulates circulation in your scalp and distributes the natural oils you produce, moisturizing your hair from the roots to the ends.
You should choose a natural bristle brush for the healthiest results, because it’s more beneficial to the scalp and also feels more pleasant.
Start by brushing from your forehead to the back, and do the same from the nape of your neck upwards. This should provide a pleasant, relaxing sensation.
Just two minutes a day of brushing is enough, and soon you’ll notice the amazing results.
Massaging your scalp
We hinted at this in the previous tip, because massaging your scalp is essential for having shiny, healthy hair.
This is also another way to improve circulation and deeply nourish the scalp, which often suffers the greatest stresses of your day.
Press the tips of your fingers of both hands to your head and move them in small circles, applying light pressure.
Start around your forehead and slowly move back and down toward your neck.
You can do this at any time during the day, either when you feel some tension in your head or you can simply alternate every other day when you normally brush your hair.
Using coconut oil
- Without a doubt, vegetable-based oils help hydrate your hair naturally without adding any chemicals that are normally present in shampoos and conditioners (which also only promise short-term results).
- The problem with vegetable oils, however, is that they can cause your hair to take on a greasy or unkempt appearance thanks to their high fat content.
- The solution is to use coconut oil instead, because, in spite of its oily texture, it’s very readily absorbed and regulates sebum production naturally.
- You can apply it just before or after washing your hair. Only apply it to the middle of your hair down to the ends.
- Use a very small amount.
- Then brush your hair so the oil is distributed evenly.
Rinsing with vinegar
Another good trick at home is to use vinegar as a conditioner. Vinegar not only adds to the shine and nourishes your hair, it also regulates the natural pH that’s often altered when you use chemical hair products.
You’ll need one part apple cider vinegar mixed with three parts water. Let it sit for a minute before rinsing.
Don’t worry about the smell of the vinegar, as it will disappear as your hair dries. But if it really bothers you, try adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the mix.
Eating healthy fats
Shiny hair is the result of proper nutrition. Fats are key to achieving this result, but only eat the good kinds of fats that provide nutrients to your skin and hair.
What are they?
- Vegetable oils that have been cold pressed: olive, coconut, sesame, flaxseed, wheat germ, sunflower, and so on
- Egg yolk
- Plain yogurt
Don’t forget to drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially first thing in the morning. Healthy hair is associated with healthy kidneys, and when you drink water it helps care for your hair from the inside.