5 Spinach Recipes You Should Include in Your Diet
You can eat spinach raw, which makes it a perfect ingredient for a salad, but it might also be just the touch that your stews needed.
Spinach is a vegetable that people grow for its leaves, which are nutritious and delicious. Spinach leaves contain water, vitamins, and carbohydrates.
This vegetable has antioxidant properties and is rich in vitamins A and C and fiber, particularly in the area around the stems. Also, it contains minerals.
Two types of spinach are grown today: the summer variety, which has smooth seeds, and the winter variety, which has thorny seeds and more lobed leaves.
Thanks to these two varieties, you can enjoy spinach recipes year-round.
Benefits of spinach
There’s enough evidence on the health benefits of vegetables. In particular, spinach is recognized as a functional food in various studies due to its varied nutritional composition, which includes vitamins and minerals, phytochemicals, and bioactives.
In turn, these qualities make it one of the preferred foods when it comes to promoting wellness. Other benefits of consuming it include:
- Improves the transport of oxygen from your lungs to the rest of the body due to the fact that it’s rich in iron, as this study conducted by the Complutense University of Madrid states.
- It helps you lose weight, thanks to its low caloric content and satiety sensation, just as this study from the Pennington Biomedical Research Cente states.
- Spinach improves intestinal transit due to its fiber content.
- They provide energy and vitality.
- They reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases due to its antioxidant properties.
- Spinach is rich in folic acid.
What are you waiting for to add spinach to your diet? You’ll love the following spinach recipes!
If you don’t have a lot of time to prepare a meal, this recipe is an excellent option. Basically, creamed spinach is not only easy to make but also rich and nutritious.
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 2 tablespoons of butter (40 g)
- 5 cups of chicken broth (1250 ml)
- 1 cup of cream cheese (200 g)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- First of all, chop the onion into small pieces.
- Then, add the butter to a pan along with the onion.
- When the onion is lightly browned, add the washed spinach. Cook until it takes on a dark green color.
- Next, add the mixture to a blender along with the chicken broth and cream cheese. Process for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, bring to a boil on low heat and simmer for five minutes.
Spinach and surimi salad
Surimi undoubtedly is rich in protein, just as this study states. It also gives salads an exotic touch.
- 5 bunches of spinach
- 3 bars of surimi (imitation crab meat)
- 1/2 cup of cream cheese (100 g)
- 1 mango
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (10 g)
- Wash and disinfect the spinach and set aside.
- Cut the mango into small cubes. Cut the spinach, surimi, and cream cheese.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and serve.
Spinach quiche, one of the amazing spinach recipes
Who doesn’t love quiche? Even mini ones will win you over. With this recipe, you won’t even realize that you’re eating vegetables.
For the crust:
- 2 cups of flour (250 g)
- 1 cup of butter (200 g)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of cold water (20 ml)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (32 g)
For the filling:
- Spinach (500 g)
- ¾ cup of cream cheese (150 g)
- 2 large eggs and one yolk
- 3 cups of Greek yogurt (375 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese (15 g)
- ½ cup of feta cheese (100 g)
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- First, pass the flour through a colander and add the salt.
- Then add the butter with your fingers to give texture.
- Next, add the egg yolk and water to begin kneading.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Wrap the crust in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Next, line a pie mold with oil and press in the dough.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil, pour in the whipped egg white and reduce the temperature to 325ºF.
For the filling
- First, wash and disinfect the spinach.
- Then, beat the cream cheese.
- Mix the cream cheese with the two eggs and yolk.
- Then, add the Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the spinach and pour the mixture over the crust.
- Then, cut the feta into small pieces and chop the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Sprinkle feta cheese and tomatoes on top.
- Finally, bake for 30 minutes and enjoy this delicious dish.
We recommend: Two Delicious Chicken Breast Recipes
Gratin allows your dish to brown a little on the surface for a unique texture. If you combine it with spinach juice, you’ll get better results.
- 2 bunches of spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/4 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of asadero cheese (100 g)
- Tomato broth
- 1/2 cup of water (125 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (15 g)
- First, you should blend the tomato and the onion.
- Add a garlic clove, the tomato and onion mixture, and form a broth.
- Next, add the olive oil to a pan and chop the remaining garlic clove.
- Sautée this mixture for four minutes, add the tomato broth, and simmer for five minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl with the spinach and cheese.
- In a baking dish, layer the spinach, cheese, and sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil and heat until the cheese is melted.
- Finally, serve with rice if you want.
Banana and spinach smoothie
Smoothies are a great way to start your day and have enough energy to do your activities. Banana is a great source of potassium, which prevents cramps and muscle pain associated with hypokalemia, according to this study conducted by the Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism of the Evangelismos Hospital in Athens.
- 1 banana
- 2 bunches of spinach
- 1 cup of almond milk (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 8 ice cubes
- Add the banana and spinach to your blender, along with the almond milk.
- Then, add the spoonful of honey.
- Process until you get a thick, creamy mixture.
- Finally, add the ice cubes and serve.
Are you ready to impress your guests with your spinach recipes?