If you’re trying to lose weight, odds are you’d like to improve your metabolism.
Something else that’s curious is that a lot of people don’t take care of their diet and choose to live a very sedentary life. This makes it even more difficult to lose weight.
That’s just how things are in my family! What else can you do?
Although it’s true that after a certain age our bodies have a harder time eliminating extra fat, the fact of the matter is that there are strategies out there that can help us.
When we talk about metabolism, we’re referring to all those chemical processes through which our cells guarantee the proper function of our bodies.
Think of this process like a machine in full throttle that will always be thankful for offering it the best fuel possible.
There are many nutrients that exist that encourage this. Today, we’d like to share 5 tips that will help.
1. Eat Many Small Portioned Meals
It’s always better to eat 5 daily meals in small portions. The typical “bingeing” that calms voracious hunger and anxiety definitely don’t help your metabolism.
- Don’t ever leave the house without eating breakfast, and never go to bed without dinner.
- Keep in mind that spacing out your meals with many hours in between causes your body to suffer from sudden sugar drops, even a slower metabolism and fatigue in the long run.
- Ideally, you should eat just the right amount, make sure to include a variety of food groups, make your meals balanced and satisfy your hunger between hours with fresh or dried fruit.
2. Spiciness, in Just the Right Amounts, Helps Slow Metabolism
Do you like cayenne pepper? Chili? Then include small portions of spiciness to your diet, because it will allow and immediate increase in your metabolic rate of up to 20%.
- All of this is possible thanks to the capsaicin. An active component and stimulant spicy flavor which allows us to attack our most recently accumulated fat until destroying it.
You can prepare spicy meals up to two times per week. This way, you will lose weight in a healthy way, if and only, you take care of the rest of your diet.
3. Say Yes to Proteins and Accelerate your Slow Metabolism
This fact may surprise you, but proteins help maintain your organism in optimum performance because they take longer to digest. This is because they require a greater concentration of energy in order to be absorbed.
Now, it’s important to know how to select the most adequate source of protein. Red meat, for eample, often has too much fat, for example, which actually slows down your metabolism.
Therefore, take into consideration the following best sources of protein for muscle mass gain and increased metabolism:
- Chicken and Turkey
- Natural White Yogurt
- Chia seeds
4. The Best Beverages: Coffee and Green Tea
Consumed in moderation, both green tea and coffee can help you accelerate your metabolism.
Your breakfast will be complete if and only you add a cup of coffee. Your brain will thank you, and so will your metabolic rate: immediately!
Coffee contains several interesting active substances:
- Caffeine, a fabulous alkaloid for our organism
- Thebromine and Theophylline, two substances related to caffeine and which also act as stimulants.
- Chlorogenic Acid, a compound that allows you to absorb carbohydrates more slowly.
On the other hand, green tea and its catechins favor the function of our liver in converting fat into energy. Therefore, don’t think twice in drinking a a cup of coffee mid-afternoon in order to benefit from its powers.
Discover about Nutrition for a Toned Body
5. The “HIIT” Method: 5 Minutes of High Intensity Interval Training is All You Need
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) makes reference to types of routines that combine aerobic with anaerobic exercise.
We’ve already mentioned this technique in a previous article on how to get rock-hard abs in just 4 minutes.
When a person seeks to lose weight, gain muscle mass and accelerate their metabolism, the classic aerobic exercises aren’t enough.
If you’re interested in putting this in practice in a simple way at home, take note of this small example on how to do it.
- Start off your exercise routine with stretches and warm-ups.
- Without moving, make the same movement as if you were running, by lifting your knees rapidly. Twenty seconds is enough.
- Now, do 10 flexes.
- Following this, repeat simple stretch exercises.
- The next simple exercise is sitting on the edge of a very stable chair.
- Lean back quickly.
- Squeeze the abdomen and flex your knees 90 degrees.
- Keep this position for 20 seconds.
These are simple examples that you could complement with other exercises that are also simple but intense. It will be more than enough to set apart 5 minutes of your time to complete this healthy routine.
Your metabolism will thank you!