It’s worth remembering that your kidneys spend all day purifying your blood by eliminating waste and toxins. Don’t take this important function for granted, because your health and quality of life depend on it. Why don’t we learn five easy ways to keep them healthy and working in top shape?
The importance of cleansing your kidneys
Your kidneys don’t stop working for an instant. They filter blood, purify it, remove any excess salt and toxins, trigger hormone release, and as a result of all this, your blood pressure is better regulated and your body has a balance of electrolytes. Lots of people underestimate the importance of these organs and unknowingly damage them by leading an unhealthy lifestyle. Eventually, however, problems will arise. Their creatinine levels will become elevated, kidney function is lost, and the proper filtration of the blood will slow. You’ll begin to feel tired and sick. And if you think your life is complicated now, imagine what it would be like on dialysis. In fact, maybe you already know some one who experiences this now and you understand the importance of keeping your kidneys clean, healthy, and strong. So…why not start today?
Signs that your kidneys may have problemsWe’ve all experienced one or more of the symptoms that we’re going to describe in this article, and probably take them with a grain of salt – unless they become constant. For example, some days you might feel more tired or have some swelling in your legs. This can be perfectly normal, but if it’s something that doesn’t go away or is accompanied with discomfort or the constant urge to urinate, you should see a doctor.
- Continual fatigue
- Swelling in the legs, especially around the ankles
- Itching throughout the body, nervousness
- Frequent urination, much more often than usual
- Loss of appetite, vomiting, and dizziness
- Hands and legs falling asleep
- Constantly looking forward to sleep
- Patches of skin that become darkened
5 ways to detox your kidneys
1. Baking soda
We’re sure you’ve already heard this recommendation. Baking soda acts like a natural electrolyte that helps control and regulate the acidity of the blood (pH level). When you have kidney problems it’s normal to suffer from what’s known as renal acidosis – increased acidity that alters normal kidney function. Baking soda helps maintain an optimal pH balance to avoid acidosis, and in addition to this it also helps prevent kidney stones from forming and generally improves overall renal functionality. It’s a good idea to drink a glass of water with a teaspoon of baking soda at least three times a week.
2. The benefits of apple cider vinegarIn this case, apple cider vinegar contains an acid that is beneficial to the kidneys. At first glance this may seem contradictory because we’re trying not to raise the level of acidity in the blood, but what really makes apple cider vinegar work is its ability to promote good digestion and help detox the kidneys. Try having a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar after your main meal. Why not give it a shot?
3. The best natural herbs for your kidneysPhytotherapy is an ideal way to cleanse your kidneys, by filtering the bloodstream, reducing inflammation, and preventing kidney stone formation. So what are the best plants and herbs to use to make a good afternoon tea? Here you go:
- Basil, which is an excellent treatment to avoid painful kidney stones. You can make a tea using 5 leafs of basil and a tablespoon of honey.
- Dandelion: This is one of the best herbs for your digestion, liver, and kidneys. It’s amazing for a detox regimen. Just make a tea using two teaspoons of the dried flowers and boil them for 15 minutes. Drinking this once a day is perfect.
- Ginger: If you’re already wild about ginger you’re in luck. It’s considered to be one of the best natural roots for treating problems like inflammation, pain, infections… and it also purifies and strengthens the liver and kidneys.
4. The best fruits and juices
- Watermelon: This is a healing fruit and natural medicine for the kidneys. Why? Because it contains lots of water and above all, because it helps purify the body’s tissues and bloodstream. Remember that it’s always best to eat it while it’s fresh.
- Pomegranate juice: Thanks to its astringent properties this acidic juice is an essential component to a healthy diet that you shouldn’t miss out on.