5 Alum Stone Remedies that You Should Know
Alum stone is an element that’s becoming increasingly popular in aesthetics. Some have started to use it as a natural deodorant and others to whiten the underarm area.
What’s alum stone?
In chemical terms, alum occurs when the triple-compound sulphate is present.
The components of this sulfate are usually aluminum, due to the fact that it’s a trivalent metal, and any other monovalent metal. One of the biggest and most effective forms alum has is as the alum stone.
The stone is a translucent white color. It’s usually manufactured, typically after processing potassium alum.
The properties and applications of alum stone
Alum stone has had various uses throughout history. Today, it’s mostly used as a cosmetic product.
It’s said to have astringent, antiseptic, and antiperspirant properties. Therefore, it helps to eliminate bad odors, regulate sweat production, and soothe the skin (after shaving, for example), among other benefits.
Although it can be useful, experts indicate that you must use it carefully, as it can cause irritation and damage to the mucous membranes. In this sense, it’s worth remembering that not all skins are the same or have the same needs. Therefore, the result may not always be beneficial.
5 alum stone remedies that will improve your health
Before you start using alum stone regularly, either as a deodorant or as a remedy for other issues, it’s best to consult your doctor.
1. Alum stone deodorant
You can use this stone as a natural deodorant. You should only use it every other day, not every day, as it doesn’t mask body odor, but rather prevents it. It acts as a mineral layer that inhibits the formation of odor-causing bacteria.
You can use it on your armpits and feet. You’ll need the following to make it at home:
- A bar of alum stone.
- 1 teaspoon myrrh powder (5 g).
- 1/2 glass of water (125 ml).
- First, wet the alum stone bar in water.
- Then, add the myrrh powder and apply it to your body.
2. Alum stone face mask for acne
According to beliefs, this stone could help fight acne and progressively reduce skin impurities.
To make a homemade mask, you’ll need the following:
- 2 tablespoons of powdered alum (30 g).
- 3 egg whites.
- In a bowl, mix the alum and egg whites.
- When it has a frothy texture, let it rest.
- Apply the mask on your face and let it sit for a few hours.
Discover: The Best Tips for Radiant Skin
3. Mixture for shoe odor
To eliminate shoe odor, we recommend washing it with the following preparation.
- 1 liter of water.
- Alum stone powder (150 g).
- Dilute two tablespoons of the powdered stone in a cup of water.
- Stir until you combine them well and the water changes its color.
- Dip the shoes in the liquid and let them soak for 20 minutes.
- Throw away the water and let the shoes dry in the sun.
4. Cleaner water with alum
You can get safer drinking water by following this procedure. However, experts recommended only using it occasionally, when strictly necessary, since they warn that regular consumption of water with alum isn’t very healthy.
Natural alum contains impurities and even toxic metals, such as chromium.
- 1/4 teaspoon alum stone powder (1 g).
- 4 cups of water (1 liter).
- First, add the gram of alum stone powder to the water. One gram will purify one liter.
- Stir with the powder for at least one minute.
- Wait until the water clears and you don’t see so many particles.
5. Alum stone crystals against stretch marks
Alum stone comes in many forms. Crystals are one of them. They look similar to the ground stone, but are much smaller chips. You can use this to reduce stretch marks.
- A bar of soap
- 1 tablespoon of alum stone crystals (15 g).
- 1/2 cup of moisturizing cream (125 ml).
- When you’re taking a bath, rub the soap on the area affected by stretch marks.
- Then, adhere the crystals and let it sit for several minutes.
- Remove them with soap when you feel it working.
- After the bath, apply moisturizer to prevent irritation.
Do you have to consult a dermatologist?
In you want to use alum as a skin treatment, we recommend you to first consult with your dermatologist, so that the professional can tell you what’s best for you. This way, you’ll make good use of resources and can avoid counterproductive reactions.It might interest you...