5 Relaxing Treatments for Torticollis, or a Stiff Neck
Torticollis is a cervical injury that causes stiffness, pain, and difficulty in moving the head. Do you know how to fight it naturally? Discover some relaxing treatments for torticollis in the following article.
Poor posture, sudden movements, and overexertion often trigger cervical injuries such as torticollis. This condition is an involuntary contracture of the neck muscles, which often involves intense pain and stiffness. Therefore, we want to suggest a series of relaxing treatments for torticollis.
Fortunately, anti-inflammatory and analgesic medications usually keep the symptoms of this condition under control. Just the same, there are some natural alternatives that also contribute to its relief. In the following article, we’ll tell you about 5 excellent options.
Regardless of its cause, torticollis causes an uncomfortable feeling of stiffness in the cervical area. In general, the head turns to one side, and moving it becomes difficult. Spasms, pain, and an inability to perform many daily tasks are also common.
As we mentioned, conventional muscle relaxants, like painkillers, are helpful in coping with this discomfort. However, you can also try certain natural treatments. These contain ingredients that possess anti-inflammatory properties, which produce a sensation of relief. So, give them a try!
Discover: Text Neck Syndrome: Prevention
1. An oregano infusion
The components of oregano have anti-inflammatory properties that can be effective in relaxing stiff muscles.
The extracts that oregano releases have relaxing and anti-inflammatory components, ideal for reducing the symptoms of torticollis. Although the most common use of this plant is for culinary purposes, you can also use it externally as a compress.
- 2 tablespoons of oregano (40 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- First, add the tablespoons of oregano to a cup of boiling water.
- Then, cover the drink and let it steep for 5 or 10 minutes.
How to use it
- When the infusion reaches a suitable temperature, strain, and immerse a cloth or towel in it.
- Then, apply it to the cervical area as a compress.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and rest.
- Repeat its use until the pain goes away.
2. Relaxing treatments for torticollis: Rosemary essential oil
One of the most popular relaxing treatments for torticollis is rosemary essential oil. This therapeutic ingredient helps relax contracted muscles and stimulates circulation. In addition, it has a mild analgesic effect that decreases pain.
- 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (15 g)
- To begin, combine the rosemary oil with the coconut oil until you obtain a homogeneous mixture.
How to use it
- After obtaining the oil mixture, rub it on the affected area using a gentle massage.
- Then, let it absorb without rinsing and repeat its use twice a day if you consider it necessary.
3. Apple vinegar
This traditional remedy has a number of purposes, including reducing neck tension.
Compresses with apple vinegar help to reduce cervical tension in case of torticollis. Although scientific evidence to support this benefit is lacking, it’s a remedy that many traditionally use against this and other muscular ailments.
- 1/2 cup apple vinegar (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup of hot water (125 ml)
- Dilute the apple vinegar in an equal amount of hot water.
How to use it
- Immerse a cloth or towel in the liquid.
- Next, apply it as a compress over the affected area.
- Let it work for 10 minutes and rest.
4. Relaxing treatments for torticollis: Lavender essential oil
Did you know that massages with lavender essential oil have anti-inflammatory assets that help relieve muscle contractions and injuries? In fact, it stands out as one of the most effective and widely used treatments for torticollis.
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 spoonful of almond oil (15 g)
- To prepare, simply combine the drops of lavender essential oil with a tablespoon of almond oil.
How to use
- Once you’ve combined the ingredients, spread the preparation on the affected area by means of soft massages.
- Then keep rubbing until you feel a slight sensation of heat.
- Finally, rest and repeat its use until you find relief.
5. Arnica ointment
Arnica essential oil, like the ointment, stimulates circulation and decreases muscle pain. Because of this, both products are effective remedies for soothing torticollis and other cervical injuries. Its topical use significantly reduces pain and inflammation.
- 10 drops of arnica essential oil
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa butter (15 g)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (15 )
- Once you have your ingredients ready, pour each one into a heat-resistant container and melt them in a bain-marie.
- Then, mix well so that everything integrates.
- Finally, when it’s ready, let it cool down until it solidifies.
How to use it
- Once the preparation’s ready, rub it on the affected area, applying a soft massage.
- Remember: repeat daily until the neck is completely relaxed.
To conclude, do you feel pain and stiffness in your neck? If that’s the case, don’t hesitate to try these treatments for torticollis. Of course, if you don’t notice an improvement after 2 or 3 days, consult your doctor.