5 Recipes for a Healthy Snack
Are you often too hungry by the time you have dinner? Do you avoid snacks for fear of putting on some weight? If you answered yes, you can't miss these 5 recipes!
Eating a healthy snack can help maintain an optimal level of physical and mental energy to perform well in daily activities. While the other main meals are necessary, eating snacks can be very beneficial.
However, it’s important to know how to prepare them with healthy ingredients, since not all options are valid. Processed foods, flours, and sugar are options that must be discarded.
So, what should you prepare? Below, we’ll share 5 recipes you can easily make at home!
The importance of eating a healthy snack
Many people overlook snacking because they think that if they snack, they can get fat. However, contrary to this, enjoying this meal of the day can be beneficial to both body weight and physical and mental health.
Not having a snack means spending a lot of time without consuming any food. Therefore, the person often feels lacks energy and has problems concentrating. Also, they’re usually too hungry at dinnertime and eat more food than they should.
Summarizing the above, eating a healthy snack is important because it:
- Controls food anxiety
- Maintains a good physical and mental performance
- Helps to regulate the activity of the metabolism
- Promotes good brain function
- Helps provide our body with an adequate supply of nutrients
Also read: 5 Essential Nutrients for a Healthy Diet
Recipes to enjoy a healthy snack
The best way to enjoy a healthy snack is by choosing natural, chemical-free, and non-industrially processed foods. Although the industry has promoted many processed snack products, it’s better to spend some time on natural recipes.
Grab a pen and paper!
1. Turkey and avocado wrap
With this delicious turkey and avocado wrap, you’ll only be consuming approximately 185 calories. Also, you’ll be getting your body fatty acids, protein, and vitamins and minerals. We’ll tell you how to prepare it at home.
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1 slice of turkey
- 1/4 of ripe avocado
- First, spread the corn tortilla and mash the avocado.
- Then, spread the turkey slice over the tortilla and cover it with the crushed avocado.
- Wrap and enjoy! It’s so easy!
2. Hard-boiled eggs filled with hummus
Chickpea hummus is a low-calorie preparation that can be used to replace sauces and creams in many recipes. In this case, we propose using it to fill the eggs and replace their yolks. Try it!
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of chickpea hummus (2 ounces/60 g)
- First cook the eggs in water until they’re hard.
- Then, remove the shell and take out the yolk.
- To finish, fill each egg with chickpea hummus.
- Then, enjoy your snack!
You might like: Egg Whites or Yolks: Which are Best for Us?
3. Zucchini and salmon rolls
Who says we can’t enjoy salmon as a snack? If you want to get an extra dose of omega 3 and protein, don’t hesitate to enjoy this simple recipe. You’ll love it!
- 3 strips of zucchini
- 1 spoonful of extra virgin olive oil (15 ml)
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- First, cut the zucchini strips and fry them in a little olive oil.
- Then, spray some more oil on the vegetable and cover it with the salmon slices.
- Finally, you can roll it up with the help of a toothpick to enjoy it.
4. Tuna sandwich
The classic tuna sandwich is one of the healthy snacks you can’t miss. Besides being delicious, its combination of ingredients provides you with energy, protein, healthy fats, and other important nutrients that promote your well-being.
- Tuna in oil (1.7 ounces/50 g)
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- To begin with, drain the tuna in oil.
- Then, on one of the slices of bread, place the lettuce and the tuna.
- To finish, cover with another slice of bread and enjoy.
5. Yogurt with fruit, a healthy and fast snack
Do you have occasionally have little time to prepare a healthy snack? Then choose this option. Natural yogurt is a food full of good nutrients for the body. Besides, it’s perfect to combine with your favorite fruits. After all, you’ll only be taking in about 120 calories!
- 1/2 cup of natural yogurt (125 ml)
- Blueberries (1.7 ounces/50 g)
- First, pour the plain yogurt into a bowl and wash the blueberries.
- Then, cut the fruit and add it to the bowl with yogurt.
- Lastly, if you want, add some crushed nuts.
Believe it or not, snacking is actually as important when compared to any of the main meals of the day. Preparing it with healthy ingredients essentially increases energy levels and controls hunger. Also, it contributes to obtaining the necessary amount of nutrients.