Five Recipes for Good Liver Health
Nowadays, people feel concerned about their bodies and look for different ways to improve their habits to stay healthy and energetic. However, one of the most popular forms has been detox diets, whose premise is to clean your liver and promote the elimination of waste and toxic substances from the body through preparations to enjoy good health.
Although it may seem like a good option, detox plans and everything related to this trend don’t have solid scientific evidence and aren’t able to provide as many benefits as they claim.
Below, we’ll explain this in more detail and tell you what these recipes for cleansing your liver can really do for you.
What should you do to cleanse your liver?
According to people who adhere to the detox idea, it’s necessary to help the body “get rid” of accumulated toxins through the consumption of beverages. However, this can be risky and could lead to malnutrition.
The body isn’t “contaminated” or “dirty” (unless you ingested an exaggerated amount of poisonous plants, alcohol, or chemicals, such as baking soda or vinegar). Thus, it doesn’t need the help of drinks. What you really need is to lead a healthy lifestyle, based on good and consistent habits.
Replacing food groups or certain foods with shakes and smoothies (no matter how “natural” their ingredients are) is an incomplete, restricted, and potentially harmful diet plan, both in the short and medium-term.
Furthermore, if you consume drinks as meal replacements, you won’t be providing your body the nutrients it needs to function properly and this can weaken it.
Therefore, to be healthy (in general, not only in terms of your liver) all you have to do is maintain a good lifestyle and follow your doctor’s recommendations.
Hydrating drinks for liver health
The following drinks won’t help cleanse your liver or organism of toxins. However, they can help supplement your diet and hydration. They’re easy to make and can have different variants, according to each person’s preferences.
1. Grapefruit-orange-lemon drink
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 2 grapefruits (pink or white)
- Firstly, take the fruits and peel them completely. Then, remove the seeds
- Next, put all the ingredients into a blender. If you’d like, add some water or ice
- Finally, process until well-blended
2. Lemon-beet drink
- 1 large beet
- The juice of a large lime or 2 small ones
- Firstly, wash the beet, peel it, and chop it into pieces.
- Then, squeeze the lemon.
- Finally, add everything to a blender and process.
3. Orange-ginger drink for liver health
- 1 large orange or 2 small ones
- 1 tsp. of freshly grated ginger
- Firstly, peel and seed the oranges.
- Then, process the oranges and ginger in a blender or food processor.
4. Dandelion-apple-ginger drink
- 4 apples
- 1 c. of water
- 1/2 tbsp. of fresh dandelion
- 1 tbsp. of freshly grated ginger
- Firstly, make a tisane with the dandelion and the water
- Then, peel and chop the apples and the ginger
- Finally, put everything in a blender and process it into a homogeneous blend
5. Grapefruit-ginger drink
- The juice of 2 grapefruits
- 1 slice of ginger
- 1 1/2 c. of water
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Firstly, squeeze the grapefruits and lemons
- Then, grate the ginger
- Finally, add the juices along with the rest of the ingredients to a blender and mix well
Important note about good liver health
Cleansing your liver by drinking beverages sounds good as a concept but there’s no scientific foundation for it.
The drinks we shared here should be included as part of a balanced diet and, consequently, a healthy lifestyle. They should never be the only form of hydration or food source, nor a substitute for a treatment prescribed by a doctor (if any) or to cleanse your liver or other organs.
Remember that you should always give priority to water and, in turn, drink these juices in moderation.
Finally, we remind you that it’s recommended that you don’t add sugar or any other type of sweetener to these preparations. This way, you can take advantage of the intrinsic sugars of fruits and, of course, their benefits.It might interest you...