Menopause brings a series of symptoms with it that result from hormonal changes.
Although its effects vary in each woman, most must face frustrating hot flashes, problems sleeping and low energy.
At the moment, there are many therapies that can help manage menopause so it does not affect one’s quality of life. In adddition, there are 100% natural products that have properties that help to manage them.
In this article, we want to share 5 good natural alternatives.
What is menopause?
Menopause is the moment that marks the end of a woman’s reproductive stage. It is a stage that brings the end of menstrual periods and fertility.
It is diagnosed when several months pass without menstruating. In general, it is a process that occurs between 40 and 50 years of age.
During this period, changes in hormonal activity occur, reducing the production of reproductive hormones such as estrogen and progesterone. This, in turn, triggers a series of physical and emotional reactions that can be traumatic when one does not know how to cope with them.
The symptoms of menopause
In the months or years leading up to menopause, a period called perimenopause, women may experience symptoms such as:
- Irregular menstrual periods,
- Vaginal dryness,
- Chills, hot flashes and night sweats,
- Sleep disorders,
- Sudden mood swings,
- Weight gain and slow metabolism,
- Thinning of the hair and dry skin,
- Loss of breast volume.
However, these symptoms can vary in each woman. Usually, there are irregularities in the menstrual period before it is completely absent.
Do you want to know more? Read: How Menopause Affects Heart Health
Natural products for managing menopause
The consumption of some natural products can help reduce the impact of hormonal changes in the body. Their nutrients promote physical and mental well-being.
1. Maca root
In recent years, maca root has gained a very important position as a natural product for menopause. Its high concentration of essential nutrients minimizes some of the symptoms that occur at this stage.
Coming from South America, maca is a tuber that promotes the activity of hormones in order to reduce their imbalance. In addition, it improves libido, manages anxiety and provides interesting post-menopausal support.
2. Green tea
Occupying one of the top positions as a healthy drink, green tea is a great supplement to compensate for the metabolic disarray that occurs upon reaching menopause.
- It contains an amino acid known as theanine, whose absorption in the body controls sleep disorders and night sweats.
- Its high content of antioxidants and essential minerals protects brain health and reduces the risk of developing degenerative diseases.
- Plus, it boosts your metabolic rate and helps you maintain a healthy weight.
3. Evening primrose
This natural supplement is a source of essential fatty acids and antioxidant substances that improve many aspects of health.
It’s recommended for managing the continuous headaches and sudden mood swings that occur before and during menopause.
- Its contributions of vitamins and minerals optimize circulation and improve your ability to concentrate.
- It is also effective against chest pain and inflammatory disorders.
4. Soy isoflavones
Soy isoflavones have become popular as a vitamin supplement for women starting their menopausal period.
Included among its components is an interesting concentration of phytoestrogens, structures that have similarities with natural estrogen.
- Its consumption balances hormonal activity and diminishes the negative effects from the low production of reproductive hormones.
- It also prevents night sweats and helps to promote physical and emotional well-being.
Note: These are not recommended for people with allergies to soy or those with thyroid diseases. It is important to consult your doctor before consuming them.
Visit this article: 6 Foods You Shouldn’t Include In Your Diet
5. Valerian root
This natural supplement is perfect for those women who fail to have a good quality of sleep due to the nocturnal discomfort that occurs during menopause.
- Its sedative properties relax the body and manage anxiety and insomnia.
- Likewise, it’s good for hot flashes and muscle tension.
Note: It’s recommended that you take it only at night, as it can cause drowsiness.
Did you know that these natural ingredients could be allies against menopause? Although it is normal to go through changes in this stage, it’s good to take these products into consideration in order to reduce your symptoms.