You might find this interesting because there is nothing more enjoyable, relaxing and hygienic than taking a shower in the morning or taking a bath with helpful essential oils at nighttime to help us go to bed relaxed.
Then, what is that we could be doing wrong? Find out below!
1. Be careful with too hot showers or baths
Yes, we know. There are few things as enjoyable as a hot shower or bath when arriving home to help relax us. However, what happens if the temperature is too high and we are in the shower for some 15 or 20 minutes?
- You run the risk of getting out of the shower and noticing such a strong temperature difference that you may faint.
- Water that is too hot can make us lose part of our own essential oils, those that the skin needs to keep itself smooth and hydrated. Hot water opens the skin pores and that is when you could suffer from a small decompensation (the inability of the body, especially the circulatory system, to function properly).
- It is best not to remain long in hot water. Five or six minutes is sufficient. Afterward, you can continue your shower or bath with a more tepid temperature. Never should you scald yourself!
2. Be careful when drying off
There are some who, after getting out of the shower or bath, take their towel and dry themselves in a very energetic and vigorous manner. If the towel itself is also somewhat dry, then we are harming our skin; making it irritated and, little by little, it becomes much too dry.
It is best to use a soft towel that will allow you to dry your skin with small circular movements, gently eliminating the excess water without roughly rubbing the skin.
Bathrobes, for example, are really comfortable and convenient, as they allow us to wrap up warmly while the skin dries almost without us realizing it.
3. Take care of your towels!
Sometimes the danger with towels is not only that they are rough and irritate the skin, but another of their risks is they often become susceptible to growing bacteria and germs. The reason? Because of the humidity that often remains in their fibers if they are not dried well.
Sometimes it is not enough that the towel smells fine. There are times when towels become so old they are saturated with chemicals from the washing detergents, thereby causing in the end that we suffer from small allergic reactions. Thus, the best option is to replace our towels every so often to avoid these types of health problems.
4. The risk of using too much soap
There is a difference between sports enthusiasts who sweat a lot during a workout and those have only sweated a little during the day and simply want to shower before work. That is, it all depends on each person.
But there are some who use an excess of soap, which is full of perfume and smells nice, without knowing that they are applying a high quantity of alcohol and other chemicals that will alter the pH of the skin, and cause a decrease in the body’s ability to naturally defend against external agents such as mites, bacteria o other microorganisms.
What is the recommendation? To use the right amount of soap and water. And another point: if you use natural soaps, like in the picture above, even better.
5. Be careful with sponges
This is a curious fact and worth keeping in mind. According to what dermatologists tell us, the most appropriate and healthy for our skin is to use a sponge only two times a week while taking a bath and to dry the sponge in the sunlight after use to avoid the colonization of molds which can cause infections, fungi or folliculitis.
- It is best to apply soap with your hand and just the right amount, as we have indicated before. You can use a natural soap made with glycerin and oats, which will help care for your skin each day, by rubbing it over your skin directly without the need for a sponge.
- Just two times a week you should exfoliate your skin using an appropriate sponge, such as a luffa sponge (which we have previously spoken about in our blog). This will help eliminate dead skin cells and reestablish the balance of your epidermis.
Always remember these simple points when taking a bath or shower. You will feel great!