5 Homemade Hair Conditioners
Learn how to get that strong and beautiful head of hair without spending a fortune on hair care products or visits to the beauty salon.
Is your hair dry or brittle? If so, it may be screaming for your attention and care. We’re here to tell you about 5 homemade conditioners for your hair that are easy to use and provide nutrients and vitamins.
Give them a try!
The Causes of Damaged Hair
Our hair often takes a beating without us even knowing it. Here are some of the common things that damage your hair:
- Applying excessive heat to your hair (curlers, dryers, flat irons)
- Too much sun exposure
- Bleaching treatments
- Hair dyes
- Excessive brushing or lack thereof
- Excessive shampoo use
- Using extensions or wigs
Whenever your hair is damaged, it tends to cause problems, like split ends or slow growth. The worst thing you could do in this case is nothing.
It’s important to you see a stylist and cut split ends, use hair treatments, and apply home conditioners to your hair.
To make these homemade conditioners, you’ll need very few ingredients. All the ingredients are inexpensive and provide excellent results as far as texture and hair health are concerned.
1. Avocado and banana conditioner
- 1/2 banana
- 1 avocado
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Peel the avocado and cut it in half. Mash it into a paste.
- After, mix half of a banana with two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the avocado paste and mix everything until it makes a uniform paste.
- Lastly, mix the paste with the egg and honey, and blend everything until you get smooth texture.
- Moisten your hair.
- Start applying the conditioner at the roots, without touching your scalp.
- Slowly spread the mixture throughout your hair, concentrating on the most damaged areas.
- Let the conditioner act for 10 minutes and rinse with water. This will produce silky and shiny hair.
- The banana nourishes your hair, thereby preventing frizz.
- Plus, the avocado facilitates hair growth while moisturizing it.
- Meanwhile, olive oil strengthens hair and makes it shiny.
- The honey also provides shine and can be used to make hair softer.
Overall, this is one of the best homemade conditioners to use when you have very damaged hair.
Learn more about natural treatments: Natural Treatments to Promote Hair Growth
2. Vinegar and egg conditioner
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml olive oil
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 100 ml vinegar
- 100 ml lemon juice
- Separate the egg yolks and whites, and beat the yolks well.
- Then, add the vinegar and lemon juice to the yolks.
- Mix everything and add the olive oil and honey.
- Mix everything well until it becomes a spreadable paste.
- When the paste is ready, spread a little bit in your fingers and apply to your hair.
- Let the conditioner set for 15 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Egg is an excellent conditioner and makes hair shiny.
- Plus, the olive oil strengthens hair.
- The honey can help lighten hair and makes it silky.
- Finally, the vinegar prevents hair loss.
3. Moisturizing banana mask
Banana is an excellent alternative for repairing hair that’s been damaged by dyes and extreme temperature changes. This mask has everything necessary to reverse damage in a very simple and inexpensive fashion.
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3 teaspoons milk
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- Mix the banana, egg, honey, milk, and olive oil until you get a paste.
- Apply to your hair and let act for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with a lot of water.
4. Conditioning yogurt mask
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons yogurt
- Beat the egg until it forms a well-blended liquid consistency.
- Add the yogurt and blend again.
- Apply the mixture with a gentle massage and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Let the yogurt mask act for 20-30 minutes and rinse with shampoo and warm water
5. Conditioning oils
Although the conditioners are very effective, it’s quite probable that you might want something a little quicker.
In this case, the best alternative is using natural oils. They penetrate the scalp’s surface and help repair existing damage while preventing new problems. They also make hair soft and shiny.
The most effective oils are:
1. Avocado oil
This is an excellent conditioner because the fatty acids and vitamin E facilitate growth and increase hair shine.
- It’s best to apply warm or hot avocado oil (so long as you don’t burn yourself), and let it act for 30 minutes.
- Rinse or let it set overnight and then rinse the following day.
2) Olive oil
Olive oil is a fantastic emollient and is much better for your hair than other oils. Whenever you warm hot olive oil, its ability to improve hair texture and quality is increased considerably.
- Use one tablespoon of warm olive oil to massage your hair and cover it with a shower cap or a plastic bag.
- Wait 40 minutes and rinse with warm water and shampoo.
Homemade hair conditioners, an inexpensive and healthy alternative
There’s no excuse to live with poorly treated or abused hair.
The truth is that taking care of your hair the natural way doesn’t cost very much money at all, and it doesn’t take too much effort, either. All you need to do is remember to be patient, because in just the way that it took time for your hair to become damaged, it will also take time to recover its healthy look.
You can use any of these hair conditioners twice a month, although you may decide to use them more regularly if the damage is extreme.