5 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bunions Fast
Bunions are abnormal bumps that are not only unsightly, they can also be painful if not properly treated.
They’re caused by the unequal distribution of body weight on the feet, causing the bones in the toes to become inflamed and deform the joint.
They typically develop after age 30 and almost always affect both feet.
Their occurrence has been linked to genetics, foot injury and diseases like arthritis.
However, some experts warn that wearing tight fitting footwear or high heels directly contributes to the occurrence of bunions.
Since this condition affects the joints of the feet, symptoms include:
- Intense pain when walking
- Reduced flexibility in the affected toe
- Irritated skin
The symptoms are progressive and sometimes become so severe that they can only be corrected with surgical intervention.
Luckily, there are a few natural remedies that can help get rid of bunions, or slow their growth and soothe the symptoms before they become serious.
Below, we’ll reveal 5 of the most effective natural treatments you can use if you suffer from bunions.
Over time, bunions become inflamed and cause intense pain after standing for an extended period of time.
To reduce these symptoms and speed up recovery, ice therapy is an excellent choice.
The low temperature numbs nerve endings and provides lasting relief.
- ½ cup crushed ice
- 1 thin towel
- Wrap the crushed ice in a towel and place over the bunion for 5-10 minutes.
- Rest for another 5-10 minutes and repeat application 2 or 3 more times.
- Use every time you feel pressure or pain.
2. Massage with essential oils
Massages with relaxing essential oil are a therapeutic way to increase blood flow to the affected area, while providing relief from pain and inflammation.
Regularly massaging the area reduces the size of the bunion and prevents the formation of calluses and hard skin.
- 2 tablespoons oil (lavender, coconut, olive, castor, etc.)
- Warm the oil in the palms of your hands.
- Rub the affected area and massage deeply with your fingers.
- Continue massaging the area for 10 minutes, then rest before repeating.
- Use this remedy every night.
The active compound in tumeric, curcumin, blocks pain and reduces the inflammation that makes bunions worse.
It can be used both orally as well as topically.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Make a thick paste with the turmeric and olive oil and apply to the bunion.
- Wait 20 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- Repeat twice daily, every day.
- For oral use, take up to a teaspoon daily.
The flowers of the chamomile plant are known for their soothing anti-inflammatory properties that help control the growth of these painful bumps.
Direct application reduces pain and soothes red skin.
- 3 tablespoons chamomile flowers
- 1 cup water
- 1 towel
- Boil a cup of water and add the chamomile flowers.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool a little.
- While still warm, soak a towel in the infusion and apply to the affected toe.
- Repeat this treatment twice daily.
5. Iodine and aspirin
A mixture of iodine and crushed aspirin stops the abnormal growth on the big toe and treats the inflammation in the joint.
Continued used removes excess dead skin, reduces irritation and prevents calluses from forming.
- 1 tablespoon iodine
- 3 aspirin
- 1 bandage wrap
- Crush the aspirin with a mortar and pestle and mix the resulting powder with the iodine.
- After making a paste, apply to the bunion and cover with a bandage for a few hours while it works.
- Repeat this procedure every day for best results.
Remember that to stop bunion growth you need to wear comfortable shoes, preferably well-ventilated.
If you’re overweight or obese, you need to do something about it to prevent it from making your bunions worse.
Choose a remedy that catches your attention and give it a try to manage your bunion symptoms.