Four Home Remedies for Unwanted Vaginal Odors
First of all, unwanted vaginal odors are an uncomfortable symptom. These odors can cause social anxiety, insecurity, and problems in sexual contexts. They’re often described as a foul “fishy” smell that also might come with itching, reddening, and heavy vaginal discharge.
So, in today’s article, we’d like to go over some of the main causes and 5 effective home remedies that speed up the treatment. Keep on reading!
The causes of bad vaginal odors
An unpleasant vaginal odor is a clear sign of an imbalance in the vaginal flora. This culture of healthy bacteria is responsible for creating a protective barrier against various pathogenic agents that can cause infections.
Moreover, these imbalances can change the composition of vaginal fluids and, as a result, produce that strong smell. Finally, the vaginal odors are caused by an excessive growth of virus, bacteria, or yeast that invade the intimate area.
Other related factors include the following:
- Poor intimate hygiene
- Hormonal changes
- Bladder incontinence
- Frequent vaginal douching
- Cervical cancer
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Wearing clothes that are too tight or wet
- Excessive use of antibiotics
- Frequent consumption of certain foods
- Using chemical products in sexual relations
Home remedies to neutralize vaginal odors
Sometimes, medical treatment is necessary in order to control the vaginal infections that produce bad odors. However, in most cases, we can eliminate them by the practice of good lifestyle habits, such as adequate hydration.
Here are some natural drinks that, according to popular belief, have a certain medicinal effect and can also help you stay well hydrated.
1. Fenugreek drink
This drink made with fenugreek seeds is a great option for balancing the vaginal microbiota and with it, issues such as bad vaginal odor. To prepare it, follow the steps below.
- 1 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds
- 1 c. of water
- Firstly, crush the fenugreek seeds using a mortar and pestle. Then, add them to the cup of boiling water.
- Then, let the mixture sit for 10 minutes and when ready, filter it using a strainer
- Finally, drink in moderation
2. Oat milk
Oat, soy, almond and related vegetable drinks prepared at home can be very beneficial in maintaining good hydration. They have a mild and pleasant taste that helps to ingest a sufficient amount of liquid per day and, in addition, allows to create the habit of drinking natural beverages, instead of industrial ones.
We recommend you read: Five Natural Baking Soda Treatments that You Need to Know
3. Guava leaves
It’s popularly said that the infusion of guava leaves has medicinal properties that may be useful in balancing the vaginal flora. This hasn’t been scientifically proven, but there are still people who’ve been encouraged to take it, simply as a hydrating drink.
- 10 guava leaves
- 3 c. of water
- Firstly, put the guava leaves in a pot along with the water
- Bring the water to a boil and, when boiling, lower the heat and leave it for 5 minutes more
- After 5 minutes, leave it to cool down a little until it’s warm
- Drink in moderation, no more than 2-3 cups a day
4. Cilantro tea
The infusion of cilantro leaves could be another great complement to a balanced diet. It’s easily prepared with some fresh cilantro and can be combined with a little lemon juice and enjoyed either hot or cold.
- 2 tbsp. of cilantro leaves
- 2 c. of water
- Firstly, put the cilantro leaves into two cups of boiling water
- Then, cover the water, leaving it to sit for 20 minutes, and after, strain
- Finally, drink in moderation throughout the day
If vaginal odors persist
If you think that bad vaginal odor persists and intensifies, it’s advisable to consult your gynecologist as soon as possible and, once you have received the diagnosis, follow their instructions.
Along with the treatment prescribed by the doctor, it’s recommended you take good care of yourself:
- Always wipe from front to back
- Don’t hold back when you need to pee
- Always pee after sex
- Wear clean underwear, preferably cotton
- Avoid douching and scented products
- Rinse the vulva with water several times a day, especially after physical activity
Keep in mind that the vaginal area is delicate and, therefore, you should never neglect good hygiene habits as well as the respective gynecological check-ups.