If you want to fight bunions naturally, you need to use remedies with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Some medicinal plants like turmeric, common marigold, or lavender can be very effective. These plants help reduce pain and swelling.
Read on to find out what are the top 5 herbal remedies for bunions. Put an end to the discomfort caused by this bony bump on your big toe with the help of these medicinal plants.
What are Bunions?
Bunions are bony bumps that form on the joint at the base of your big toe. This occurs when your big toe pushes against your other toe, forcing the joint of your big doe to stick out. Among the factors that have an impact on its appearance are the shape of your feet and the use of inappropriate shoes.
There are inserts, insoles, splints, and correctors that help reposition the toes progressively. You can also do rehabilitation exercises that can be successful in the long term. However, people with extreme cases may resort to surgery.
See also: How to Prevent Bunions
Herbal Remedies for Bunions
For starters, you can fight bunions with common marigold. This lovely orange flower is the base for many healing lotions for wounds, inflammation, cuts, bites, etc. When you apply common marigold to the affected area, you reduce inflammation, facilitate good circulation, and prevent calluses.
- You can use common marigold-based lotions (with active or homeopathic ingredients).
- On the other hand, you can also extract the juice from its flower since you’ll only need a bit.
- Finally, you can apply its essential oil.
Chamomile is a medicinal plant known for its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. When you apply this flower on your bunions, it reduces redness and prevents the problem from getting worse. Another great thing about it is that most people already have this remedy at home since it’s a very common digestive infusion.
- We recommend preparing a foot bath with concentrated chamomile tea and soaking your feet for 20 to 30 minutes. You can do this every night before bed.
- Furthermore, you can enhance the effect by massaging the affected area with chamomile essential oil after the foot bath.
Turmeric is a superfood that stands out due to its many medicinal properties. For starters, it’s an excellent remedy to treat pain since its anti-inflammatory and analgesic. It also has antioxidant and healing properties, making it the perfect treatment for many disorders.
You can apply it topically and consume it:
- Topically: Apply turmeric powder directly on your bunions (with some water, aloe vera, or oil) as a healing lotion.
- Consumption: We recommend combining turmeric with olive oil and black pepper. The combination of turmeric with the healthy fats of olive oil and the pepper’s piperine multiplies its medicinal effects.
Lavender is one of the most common natural remedies and can alleviate many disorders due to its many properties. Its anti-inflammatory and soothing properties make it a very effective way to fight and prevent bunions from getting worse.
- We recommend applying some lavender essential oil directly on bunions.
- You can also mix it with olive oil, almond oil, or coconut oil to dilute it and give yourself a nice foot massage.
In addition, this massage will produce a nice calming effect on your whole body and the delicious aromas will soothe you. Therefore, it’s also a remedy to prevent insomnia.
Rue is a medicinal plant that stimulates circulation, relieves pain, and reduces inflammation. Thanks to its coumarin, flavonoid, and vitamin C contents, this plant is a great remedy to prevent and fight bunions naturally. It also helps in rheumatic diseases such as arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Make a rue infusion and soak your feet in it for at least 15 minutes. You should repeat this every day until you see an improvement. Then, you can repeat 3 times a week.
This is a very effective remedy, you just have to be patient.